[VIDEO] Angry Tankbuster

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WycliffSlim, Apr 6, 2014.

1. FaLI3N

Just like you have hardly any time in a tank compared to your lib ;) Doesn't really matter what you say, if you have a semi decent pilot you can gib a tank easily with TB alone and have the dalton or shredder mop up if you are terrible at aiming. We have to hit you 3 times with FPC or AP now and you have the benefit of choosing your angle of attack and have the speed to sneak up on us. I bet if you put a TB and a Dalton clone on a MBT there would be a constant stream of tears.

We have to rely on others to cover us, something that isn't likely to happen whilst we are flanking and you have every chance to defend yourself from every threat you face and if all else fails you can relocate to kill elsewhere. You really don't need two weapons with such low TTK, although the damage drop-off is pretty harsh.
  2. IamnotAmazing

it's named a tank buster, what do you want it to do? tickle them?
    • Up x 4
  3. Saber15

I'd be perfectly fine with the tankbuster as-is if the (pre-armor buff) Liberator had to use something weaker like a Halberd-equivalent for the bottom gun when equipped with the TB. But the combination of the silly TB and the even more silly Dalton (or the awesome buffed Shredder), turn it into a whirlwind of death for anything on the ground larger than a footsoldier.

It's very frustrating for tankers to get ripped apart with impunity by a TB+Dalton lib.
  4. WycliffSlim

In comparison, no. But I still have 90 hours in it.

Yes, Liberators win easily against solo tanks. They've got a weapon called a tankbuster and more than that they can just hover above you and bombard you. If you're out on your own in a tank that's a risk you're taking. Yes, it's annoying to get killed without any chance of fighting back but that's a risk you take when you're on you own or without air support. I rarely engage armor with the Tankbuster unless they're alone due to the risk of getting popped by the other tank you didn't notice.
  5. IamnotAmazing

it's a gunship, that's it's role, again, do you want them to tickle tanks?
    • Up x 1
  6. Dead soldier

probably not even that.
    • Up x 1
  7. Brahma2

It's a gentle buffet by a calm breeze compared to what happens to "footsoldiers."
  8. Saber15

It's actually pretty hard to hit meatbags with the Tankbuster, and the Dalton now needs 2 splashes to kill infantry. Shredder is pretty silly, though.

Infantry can fight back if they're HA or have a (laughably bad) UBGL, by popping dumbfires and the UBGLs at the Liberator - infantry can aim up, tanks can't. Doesn't really work well if the Lib is high-altitude, however.
  9. lawn gnome

no let's play by his rules.

so then i guess i am the leading authority on the skyguard with my 168 hours of play time my auraxium medal and 1,100+ vehicle kills. (i apologize in advance to any pure ESF pilots, the suggestions i am making in this post are meant to educate some of the morons in this thread and are not intended as real suggestions)

so what the skyguard needs is to bump up from a 70 round clip to 100 rounds, reduce the cone of fire by 75%, and bump up the shot velocity from 400m/s to 600m/s. oh and why not give me a small secondary lock on missile that i can switch to. i have more experience in a skyguard than him by leaps and bounds with his 11 hours, so obviously my word on skyguards carries far more weight than his and he doesn't get to say anything about these suggestions because of the rules that HE (WycliffSlim) has previously established.

so if we want this to be a full on MilSim experience then yes keep the tank buster, but then flak should have a chance of blowing out computers, weapons, and/or engines on each and every shot, tank shells should instantly destroy each and every aircraft (along with anything firing AT rounds like all of the dumbfire rocket launchers, and any of the ESF rockets).
    • Up x 1
  10. lawn gnome

you know i would be ok with it if they were required to reload ONCE. so bump it up from a 3.3 second kill time to 7 seconds.
  11. Dead soldier

it was meant to bust tanks. It is suicide for the lib to attack a tank in a zerg and it is suicide for a tank to run around in the open without some form of AA.
    • Up x 2
  12. lawn gnome

then liberators need to choose. do they go all in and kill ground vehicles ruthlessly while risking being attacked by ESF or do they equip some form of anti air forward weapon to protect themselves. liberators do not need the one gun to rule them all.

and let's be honest a lone tank without AA that has a dalton hovering over it is still very thoroughly screwed. in most cases there is no cover that will effectively protect you from a top down attack. do you need a forward gun that rips tanks in two BETTER than the dalton and murders all forms of aircraft effectively due to high rate of fire/high damage?
  13. FBVanu

Yes, you are correct on both counts. However, a tank shell into an airplane should do far more damage than we currently inflict on a Lib..
    Yes, a giant bomber drops 500lb bombs on my tank, my tank is dead.. fine.
    But,again, my AP round hits the Lib and they don't even feel it, ??

And debris from a blown up harasser rolls down hill and instagibs a Tank ??

IMHO, it needs some tweaking..
  14. lawn gnome

the debris thing has been a problem for a while. it is way better than when it first appeared, but burning wreckage is still bad news and should be avoided.
  15. Lucidius134

Nice video of the CAS30 TankTickler
  16. Flashtirade

Totally called it like a week ago.
  17. Hoki

tankbuster is fine because potato
    • Up x 2
  18. Inex

I think the words you're looking for there are "basically anything".

Since the last patch filled the skies with libs, I think my only good memory of dealing with them is watching one come in low over a base not expecting two burster maxes and somewhere around 6 G2A launchers. I'm just hoping it doesn't take as long as the Harasser to be dealt with.
  19. FaLI3N

Are you telling me you have never used terrain to dive in and gib a tank in the middle of a zerg and then escape before running away with a bit of flak damage? I have seen this happen to tankers who sit in a zerg on countless occasions, nobody wants to use a skyguard because they are no fun and leave you gimped against everything else. Tanks need to flank to contribute in any meaningful way, especially magriders, so are you saying that every one of those tanks should be screwed with no chance to retaliate every time some lib flies overhead.

Get rid of the ridiculous AP resistance changes to libs, they can keep their AP resistance on composite for all I care but they do not need it on a stock lib so everyone needs to hit them 3 times with an AP shell. A risky maneuver should be just that, risky. If you dive in low and fail to get the job done then I expect you to be punished just like any other vehicle does in a similar situation. I fully understand you are a G2A bomber and I am fine with being screwed by dalton with no chance for me to retaliate but I have never seen a gunship that flies in 50m off the ground to shred a tank with a nose gun. It is just ridiculous that you can maneuver the way you do, have TTK against everything that low and have the tankiness to make it out of those situations alive.
    • Up x 1
  20. WycliffSlim

Yes, I do occasionally pick tanks out of a zerg. When I'm bored and don't care if my Liberator dies. And even then, I'm using literally every bit of skill and ability to read situations that I've accumulated over hundereds of hours in the Liberator to do so. If you're getting killed because no one wants to pull a skyguard that sounds like a problem on your side.

I personally quite enjoy pulling a skyguard. It's pretty fun for me.

The Tankbuster is called a Tankbuster for a reason. If it weren't meant to bust tanks they would have been called something else. Like the tank tickler.
    • Up x 1