[Suggestion] [VGS] style voice commands.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AJay, Jan 28, 2013.

1. AJay

I feel the voice macros in this game are fiercely understated.

• They're too quiet
    • Some of them use obtuse language that does not communicate the point properly. (see; NC "thanks" command translates to "I see you've got your bonus cheque")
    • They're poorly laid out for quick and useful communication
    • Only tactically applicable ones are medic/repair/ammo requests.
    VGS style voice command menus are not only very entertaining for the player, but they encourage solidarity and camaraderie between players. They are also a very efficient way of communicating to nearby players priority targets and objectives.

Implement a better realised voice command system, one that is both fun and useful. The current one is obtuse and useless beyond thanking someone healing or repairing you.

Examples of good voice command menus for your consideration and research; Tribes: Ascend, TF2, Killing Floor, Swat 4

A basic layout could be three menus;
    • Commands ("Attack the Generators!" "Disable their turrets!" "Advance!" "Stick together!")
    • Alerts ("Medic!" "Mines ahead!" "Sniper!" "Incoming!" "Take cover!")
    • Miscellaneous ("Taunt" "Yes/No" "Thanks" "Praise" "Jeer")

Post more suggestions for voice commands in this thread for the developers to see.
    • Up x 3
  2. cardboardbacon

3. NyaR

4. AtheistPeace

Ya, some VGS style voice thing would help a lot when you need others to pay attention to something
  5. FreelancePanic

Hey SOE. [VGTW]

This is a much needed feature.
  6. phreec

It's actually "The suits should cut you a bonus cheque". :rolleyes:
  7. DuckSauce

You want VGS?

VGTA.
  8. starlinvf

My guess would be some sort of severe underestimation of how useful it would be, and/or a strong aversion to chat spam (which is a major problem in any modern game). Most modern games use visual UI element to draw attention to important things, like the mini-map, HUD markers, Waypoints, etc, because they are easier to notice then sound. With that in mind, theres no reason not to allow this for close proximity, even if it runs the risk of the being overheard in quieter areas. (I've managed to catch a ton of sneaky players due to their bad habit of trying to Q spot everything)

Consider the game's roots...... Planetside 1 <--- Tribes 2 <--- Starsiege:Tribes . While not 100% effective, many were put to decent use in team play situations.