Vehicle combat is slow and boring

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HerpTheDerp, Jan 18, 2014.

1. HerpTheDerp

Everything simply has too much HP.

Back in BF2142, it took 4 shots to destroy an MBT from the front, 2 from the side and 1 from the rear. Yep, if some Engi sneaked up behind you it was an instant kill.

You might say that PS2 has more players shooting so the vehicles need more HP... but if that rule doesn't apply to infantry combat(TTK in BF2142 and PS2 is pretty similar) then why should it apply to vehicles?
  2. ST4LK3R

inb4 superior vehicle master race.
  3. VanuSovereignty

I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want vehicles to have much lower health (awful idea) with no benefits given? Do you want infantry to be better against vehicles (also awful)? Do you want vehicles to kill each other faster (it's really not that many shots, at least with AP, to kill a vehicle)? How many shots did it take to kill a normal player with full health in BF2142, because for PS2, it usually takes 7.
    • Up x 1
  4. Alarox

I think it is fun and exciting.
    • Up x 11
  5. SNAFUS

I have to say some of the post on these forums still surprise me.
    • Up x 10
  6. ncDieseL

I sort of agree with you, as I used to play BF2142 and loved it. I guess the KEY difference is the number of players, as you hint at. In BF2142 you had a fixed number of players, I think it was 64? So basically fewer people shooting at tanks.

Don't forget in PS2 you have to spend resources on the tanks, so it's a bit of a bummer if you roll down the road only to be on shotted by a sneaky heavy.
    • Up x 1
  7. lothbrook

I have no idea either, first thing he says vehicles are slow and boring, then declares they should die faster, lol...
    • Up x 1
  8. HadesR

If it was a problem , which I don't think it is .. The only change they could really make is to increase DMG from AP rounds .. Nothing on the infantry side needs buffing.
    • Up x 2
  9. Meliorist

Good thing there's a ton of classes and vehicles to chose from to best suit your preferred playstyle!
    • Up x 1
  10. EliteEskimo

Tanks in this game are already weak, especially against infantry AV they are forced to go up against, and making them weaker will encourage more zerging and less situations where you'll see tanks actually trying to fight on the front lines as tanks. More tanks will sit on the outskirts of battles instead of actually coming into the battle, and people will be even less willing to try and take out Sunderers with their tanks and be useful. The following videos show how weak tanks used to be in PS2, at least our tanks are balsa wood instead of paper now:p , and you can see what a problem it was.

It was a grueling task surviving on the front lines in big battles when tank's front armor was this weak.

I'm happy I have a chance to react to ESF's now as you used to only have about 1.5 second before you tank exploded:eek:

The AV turret used to 2 shot MBT's from behind, and it's still OP and broken to this day, which was ridiculous
    • Up x 3
  11. ironeddie

Me to. Driving my mag is one of my favourite things to do in game.
    • Up x 5
  12. Cinnamon

The scaling is different in planestside 2 to battlefield. There are a lot more infantry to target a tank as it moves slowly around the map. The amount of rocket shots it takes to kill a tank might seem like a lot but if infantry work together even in a disorganised way then it really isn't.

The scaling problem is a consequence of hit points. If the game was using other concepts you might say that an MBT is able to deflect most rockets unless they target a small weak spot. Like the tank is destroyed by one accurate shot with a rocket but only if it hits a certain spot exactly at the right angle otherwise nothing.
  13. DeadlyShoe

battlefield vehicles get more lethal with every game, and repair tanking them is easier+more effective than in planetside

bf also has active protection nonsense etc.
    • Up x 1
  14. Abadhor

TTK in BF2142 generally was shorter, but there also were less possibilities to be caught completely off guard, since maps were more linear. If I remember correctly it took me 4 shots with the Baur (rifle with big dmg, big recoil and 20 shot mag) to kill someone. Also 2 headshots of any weapon would kill. Sniper rifles also did more damage on body shots. With some rifles a single pistol shot afterwards was enough to kill the target.
    Tanks would usually be almost killed if hit with any anti vehicle weapon from behind. There also were walkers, but I dont remember them having a similar weakness.

I don't think weaker armor would work in PS2. Just too much stuff flying around, often from directions you can't really defend. IMHO the argument "vehicles are too expensive because of ressources/timer" is only half valid, as in BF2142 vehicles were also limited and your teammates would often get the only tank on your side before you could.
    • Up x 1
  15. HerpTheDerp

Except there is also less tanks to shoot at. Vehicle spawns in BF series are limited depending on map.

In Planetside 2 EVERYONE can get a vehicle. So not only there is more vehicles, they're also more resilient(MUCH more resilient, we're talking about 2x the amount of EHP here even for the Lightning which is supposed to be a light tank)

[Edit] The TTK was slightly lower in BF2142, but it hardly matters. It doesn't matter if you die in 0.3 seconds or 0.4 seconds, the (infantry) gameplay is identical.
  16. HerpTheDerp

17. eldarfalcongravtank

it's due to scale. everything in planetside2, from tanks to regular infantry, take pretty long to kill. and that's perfectly fine! because a lot of things can damage you simultaneously

in battlefield games (i have played battlefield2, badcompany2, battlefield3 and also occasionally battlefield4), these short ttk's are reasonable because you'll only ever have a maximum of 32 enemies targeting your vehicle or tank (and that's even pretty optimistic here). keep in mind, a 32vs32 battle is a mid-large fight in planetside2! if battlefield had those long vehicle ttk's, vehicles would be pretty unstoppable because there would never be enough people to destroy single vehicles. so ttk's in battlefield are short since not many people go anti-vehicle

in planetside2, long ttk's make sense because you can get targeted by SO MANY enemies at the same time. if vehicles were any less resistant to damage, they would become next to useless because you can take damage from so many sources. fly with an ESF over a +48 enemy base and flak/lock-ons will kill you in a splitsecond. face a tank zerg with your own tank and you'll barely make it back into cover. that's why long ttk's are a must in a game with a scale like this
  18. Tommyp2006

Scale is a huge pain to balance, an issue that a game like this will always have.
  19. KnightCole

Vehicles need to be weaker and be considerably more deadly.

That Blast radius needs to be rather OP.

The Prowler needs a redesign so as not to make it a HEAT/HE spam god, which is the reason Blast got nerfed in the first place...
  20. LibertyRevolution

I would like all anti tank weapons to OHK to the rear.
    I would like all weapons to be OHK to the head.
    I would like explosives to OHK kill within a 15m blast radius.

Then this game would be really fun!
    • Up x 3