Vanu weapons

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Irrelevant--, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Irrelevant--

I was under the impression that the Planetside wiki was official and moderated by SOE and all information came from them.
    I copied the words of the wiki and never made any arguments about armor or agility, simply speed.

WTF dogs and cats?

And since when have phsyics ever been a part of PS2?
  2. Irrelevant--

That's the stat I'd like to see.
  3. Van Dax

armistice has a larger mag and highest rof, you're ignoring the stats.
  4. Irrelevant--

Armistice does not have the larger mag, only higher RoF. Blitz and sirius have more mag and the NS ties it with 30
  5. Van Dax

wow you can't use basic numbers
    30>25
    these are the small mag smgs
  6. Kociboss

Faction traits are more or less a myth.
    • Up x 1
  7. Irrelevant--

Ah. I was talking about fastest SMGs for each. Of the fastest, Armistice has 30 rounds and the fastest VS/NC have 50 each
  8. ShureShot

TR has 14 guns that fire at 750 rpm or faster, VS has 6, NC has 4.
  9. Aegie

You can create it fairly easily from that spreadsheet.

DPS = (RPM/60)*Max Damage per shot.

Average DPS per faction within category is then the sum of DPS for each weapon within the category within the faction divided by the number of weapons in that category for that faction.

Maybe I will do it again since I think they introduced new pistols since the last time I did this and I've never looked at anything outside the infantry weapons. Though I have to say, I am a little sick of that kind of thing because often times it is simply ignored and no amount of evidence ever seems to matter either to the developers or the players unless they already agree.

Thing is, there is a big difference between the hardcoded performance of a weapon/faction and how the performance of a weapon/faction plays out in the game. SOE makes this information available via the API data and every time I have seen this information there was a pretty clear ranking wherein TR>VS>NC. Now, granted, the last time I saw this was back around April-May so it is possible that things have changed but honestly there is plenty of convergent evidence for anyone who is open minded enough to accept it.

I know, because I recently dug up one of my posts from March-April, that the pre-nerf NC MAX was outscoring the TR MAX by 8.5%. Meanwhile, the post-nerf Prowler was outscoring the Vanguard by 20% (Magrider was outscoring Vanguard by only 17%). Even when NC had the pre-nerf MAX and VS had the pre-nerf Magrider, TR was outscoring them both and I would happily put money on the TR>VS>NC relationship still existing if not having increased in magnitude.

Funny thing, at the time Cupboy (thanks to Cupboy BTW because he was the one publishing a lot of this information- until SOE, for some strange reason, chastised him for doing so) published this information, NC had a bit of an overall population advantage. There were a lot of people claiming NC was dead last precisely because they were over populated- reasoning being that they had relatively fewer targets than TR/VS. Thing is, since then, TR has had the population advantage but the relationship among the figures the last time I saw them was still TR>VS>NC.

I find it tedious that there are mountains and mountains of anecdotal back-and-forth bickering over who is and who is not OP/UP when at the end of the day it is entirely possible to rank the factions on various performance metrics given the data SOE collects and has available. Problem is, it seems SOE does not take kindly to people posting the facts regarding faction performance and seem perfectly content with those on the forums flaming each other over personal opinion rather than just being transparent with these figures and continually working with the players so as to improve balance- you know, moderating (read: not just closing threads) the discussion by interjecting a balanced and objective view of reality.

Whether something or some faction is or is not underperforming is not a matter of opinion but is an empirical fact. Why something is underperforming may be a little more difficult to pin down but it is a bit silly to argue whether something is or is not underperfoming because it either is or it is not and SOE can very easily find the answer and share that information- they choose not to. In all likelihood they choose not to because people would probably tend to avoid whatever was at the bottom (rightly so in most cases) and only focus on the best performers (again, with reason) and this does not make for the greatest business model I suppose.

As someone very, very well versed in mathematics and statistics, I can say with a straight face that there are no mysteries here- with the information collected it is entirely possible to model how things are playing out while controlling for any number of relevant variables. As a social scientist I can tell you that doing so would be far easier and far more accurate than any feasible study in the social sciences- not only do they collect information automatically on the entire population (so, strictly speaking, there is no need for inference or significance testing) but they also have complete and exacting control over the bulk of the variables of interest.

Are many of these things as out of balance as people (myself included at times) would suggest? No, usually not. However, a 10% difference when we are talking about the entire population is still a 10% difference and if that difference is stable it is an indication of something. Moreover, it is one thing when there is an advantage here, a disadvantage there but then the overall faction wide figures are close or swing back and forth- it is different when these stack, however small they may be, and are stable.
    • Up x 4
  10. Frenk

You are right. What I meant is that NC trait is to be "hardhitters", but both vanu and TR have weapons in their categories in which deal more damage than what their empire is supposed to do. I'm talking about the, for example, Pulsar-C. Although we have some weapons that can hit as hard as their NC counterpart, on AVERAGE our weapon damage (not DPS!) is not on par with the NC one.
  11. HerpTheDerp

*snort*

DPS-wise, VS and NC are identical. TR gets a DPS bonus but accuracy penalty.
  12. Bankrotas

jeez, this is Stew360 lvl material :/
  13. Kaon1311

The way i see the traits now is -

TR more bullets (minigun, lockdown, more bullets in mag)

Nc harder hitting bullets (Saw, vanguard, shotgun faction)

VS superior movement (mag strafe, orion .75 modifier and zoe max)
    • Up x 1
  14. Vixxing

I agree give TR a little rpm buff... (and remove drop on VS tank,sniper rifles and rocketlaunchers so we can snipe tanks with all weapons 600m away, weapons that actually do damage unlike the Lancer) it says "no drop!" (and as OP says when have this game ever been about physics?)
    TR prowler anchored= 10% of the drop off a magrider can easily snipe ESF and LIBS out of the air!
    Give prowler magrider-speed and drop of projectiles, and give magrider Prowler speed and drop!

I want to be able to eazymode snipe air with my tank too!
  15. Peter Daniel

To have the Magburner you cannot cert Smoke. The Magrider is slow as crap and the Magburner is a 2 second boost with large cooldown.

No smoke on a slow tank = cannon fodder for the striker
    With the smoke/flare bug, this is just ludicrous.
  16. Aegie

Perhaps I should have been more specific.

Keep in mind that since each faction has the same number of weapons in each category then we really do not have to average (since 60s is a constant we do not have to include that either but I have so I will leave it).

In AR, the total DPS for NC = 10306.82, for TR = 10829.15, for VS = 9805.7 so TR>NC>VS

In Carbines, the total DPS for NC = 10157.4, for TR = 10486.67, for VS = 10407.63 so TR>VS>NC

In LMGs, the total DPS for NC = 9772.567, for TR = 9952.417, for VS = 9805.383 so TR>VS>NC

In Pistols, the total DPS for NC = 3649.167, for TR = 3956.217, for VS = 3675.283 so TR>VS>NC

So, among these weapon categories we have TR always leading, followed by VS in second place for 3/4, followed by NC in second place for 1/4.
  17. pnkdth

Yeah, that's pretty much where we are at the moment. Traits seem to be more of a guideline in PS2, and I'm guessing it is a product of low TTK as it is hard to make distinct traits without unbalancing things.
  18. Bankrotas

Funny enough, if you check weapon datasheet and sort by empire and 0.75 movement speed ads, all empires seem to have same number of weapons in that category

Of course 13th weapon for NC to be 0.75 is jackhammer, which is just another ******* shotgun :/
  19. Ghosty11

I guess you missed the sarcasm in my post. ;)