Vanu Sniper Rifles

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Webbskee, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wobberjockey

i believe that is a trait shared by all bolt action snipers in the game
  2. Bogarth

I'm a fan of the Ghost for mid-range encounters, better for offense than defense due to it's lack of a default scope (or at least I was using the iron sight). I believe it 1-shot headshot kills anything besides MAXes and maybe HA.

Maybe try using a less zoomed in scope? I don't know what you were using but I found it quite effective. I'd say it's optimally a mid-range weapon with some CQC applications as well. The single most effective scenario I was using it was on engis and medics, as soon as you see them start glowing - fire a round. If it doesn't kill them, it will definitely chunk them pretty hard.
  3. SGTTEMPEST

I'm loving the artemis + the 2x holo scope it has for those close range encounters.
  4. TatharNuar

You want a bolt-action sniper rifle. Any will do as long as it has a bolt-action fire mode.
  5. Sphinx

If only our pistol wasn't so useless ... 7 bullets in the back of anyone , they have plenty of time to turn around and kill you , even if were point blank spamming the back of their head. The TR pistol is so much more powerful. You can cloak in a the base and get many kills with that little pistol , while with ours, you barely can kill one medic or infiltrator... The Manticore is quite expensive and they added it a few days before the end of beta, when people already wasted their certs to try out stuff. I dont know anyone in my outfit that has tried the Manticore... is it worth its cost ? Can't be worse than our current pistol
  6. HvcTerr

Probably due to it being one of the Alpha Squad weapons, you'll see more V10s than XM98s etc. for a while.
  7. Webbskee

Thank you guys for all the comments and help. I'm quite impressed with this community so far very helpful and friendly. From what I read here sounds like the V10 is the gun for me. I like that you can trial it for a bit before spending a bunch of cert points on it not knowing what you are getting into. That and being able to ask on the forums for help :)

Now as for the Semi automatic rifle. Which one does the highest damage? From my experience with the default I love the zero bullet drop but man the damage output is low low low!
  8. Kupcake

I have the high-end rifle unlocked on all 3 factions. The performance between them is very, very similar. Personally, though, the V10 is my favorite of all of them. I get the most kills and enjoy sniping most as VS by far.

The V10 is my favorite rifle for long-range killing, especially. Once you get used to it, the 30 round total ammunition capacity seems perfectly justified. Yesterday, I camped a tower we were sieging from an off angle. I literally got about 15-20 kills from those 30 rounds at extreme range. I actually hoofed it back to base, refilled, and went back for more. A few basic tips:

1. If you don't know yet, holding your breath (shift while scoped) steadies your aim. Use it sparingly. Learn to keep your aim close to the killshot without it, and only hold breath when you're actually taking the final aim for the shot.
    2. Always consider positioning. "Head on" sniping is just an invitation to start pointless 1:1 KD duels between you and enemy snipers. You'll be more effective in the longterm if you can quickly spot a good swath of terrain to fire from and take some time to move to it. The above kill streak I told you about was 90% positioning and 10% aim. Look for places with passive stealth. Avoid places where you stand out.
    3. Avoid the suppressor. It adds enormous bullet drop at long ranges. I don't think the tactical advantage is worth it, especially given that it hugely degrades the primary advantage of the VS rifle. I use the 12x scope pretty much exclusively, and I see no need for any of the other accessories.
    4. Watch your shots carefully. If you want to consistently kill at range in a prolonged fight, you need to be careful about memorizing exactly how much bullet drop you're accounting for after your first few shots. A sniper's best teacher for adjusting his aim in a given situation is the first shot he fires.
  9. Helwyr

If your purchasing with certs rather than SC, the XM98 is a good choice 1000 certs for V10 vs 100 for XM98. The difference between the two is very slight. Personally I think the V10 is better, but only very marginally so due to it's slightly faster bullets.

Someone else was saying only Infantry target you can't OHSK with a bolt action is a MAX. Actually a HA with their shields up will also survive.
  10. Webbskee

Excellent tips you guys thank you :)
  11. Vepo

True! I'm in love with my SR-7 at the moment :D
  12. Webbskee

Do tell why that is please. I got lots to learn :D
  13. Vepo

Once you used to how the SR-7 handles and when you get the bullet drop under control, it's a 1 shot machine. When I first started using it, I was acting the same way i was with the starter sniper rifle and throwing 3 to 4 bullets into a person just to kill them.

With the SR-7 it makes you aim better and make you think before shooting. Make you think "where is the best place for me to get headshots without being spotted within the first few kills".

Once you've got the hang of it, you throw on a 12x scope and then once you've got the hang of the bullet drop from distances ... well you are just a major pain in the *** to the other factions.

At the start I didn't like the SR-7, but once I knew it could kill Infils/Lights/Mediums 1 one headshot ... then I just fell in love. I think I've killed a few heavy peeps, but I normally avoid heavy units just cos I know I can drop the other 3 with ease. Max units of course you can't 1 shot kill, but it's still fun to annoying them!
  14. Webbskee

Oh boy. So is that SR-7 a semi automatic rifle? What happened to someone telling me earlier confirming my no bullet drop vanu comment? Bolt action has bullet drop and semi auto does not
  15. Vepo

NC/TR semi and bolt do have bullet drop, but the SR-7 has a high velocity, meaning the bullet drop takes a bit longer. The VS don't really have any bullet drop due to the weapon being an energy weapon.

The SR-7 is the bolt action TR sniper rifle, which many of us who got the Alpha Squad package, got for free in that deal. The VS for the V10, which is just like the SR-7 and I'm not sure what the NC got.
  16. Webbskee

Oh okay thank you for clarifying. Yeah I'm looking forward to trying out the V10!
  17. Vepo

Well this is me using the SR-7 and doing some random Prowler stuff.

This was on the EU server of Miller, but it was having massive issues and it didn’t help that when streaming my FPS dropped like crazy. I do suck compared to more snipers, but I had fun and of course I do swear a lot :p

I’m now on Woodman where the latency appears to be perfectly fine and people aren’t rubberbanding or such.

(getting a new twitch video background sorted. Headset broken, so webcam = background noise)

Once I turned off the stream my framerate when back up to normal. I just need to get my stream sorted, so it doesn’t make my computer take a drop in FPS.

So yeah that’s me just playing and talking to people who were watching at the time.

I’ll get some more streaming done with the SR-7 maybe tonight or on Monday :)
  18. Webbskee

Right on! Thanks ill definitely tune in and check it out. Cheers appreciated the help! :)
  19. Webbskee

Loving the XM98. Can't wait to unlock and use the V10
  20. Lionz

whats better v10 or parallax ???
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.