Vanu Pistol vs the others....

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Wraithclaw, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Wraithclaw

Ok.. I have been playing vanu since release and in beta. I just happened to test out the other factions to see how they were. 1 thing that is blatant... the vanu pistol is very very bad. Jumping in as TR sniper I was able to wipe out 3 LA with pistol and starter rifle easily... close combat with vanu you might as well kiss it goodbye. I also liked the NC pistol which hits very hard. All in all I wonder how many others also have experienced this and agree that the Vanu pistol really needs an upgrade! I also use the Manticore on my Vanu and the starter pistols of the other factions felt much better! Any agree or disagree? Any chance for a fix and if so what?
  2. frajerik

NC pistol is average, VS pistol seems same but TR pistol is SMG, absolutely OP.
    • Up x 2
  3. ScorpDK

I'm hoping they add a Nanite Systems pistol and guns for the other classes. I really don't like the VS guns that much.

The pistol, as you said, doesn't seem to do that much (it is quite deadly in competent hands, but it doesn't give the satisfying feeling of when fired as would the other 2 factions' pistols).NC hits you 2-3 times and you're toast, TR fires 2-3 bursts and the same, meanwhile you hit the button repeatedly and it goes "put, put, put, put, put" and you still see their shield FX pop up. I really wonder what's going on there.
    • Up x 2
  4. Pax Empyrean

VS pistol is the worst. The Mag-Shot does 200 damage per shot and has better hipfire rets, and the TR Repeater does the most damage but runs out of ammo fast. The VS pistol is the worst of both worlds, with the same rets as the Repeater and less damage than the Mag-Shot.
  5. Ravenorth

Beamer is actually pretty good weapon if you have a good aim, it has decent fire rate and accuracy, but average damage, so its really good for spamming headshots. I won numerous gunfights with it, before I bought Manticore, which of course does the job a bit better. Winning another inf with pistol shootout is no problem, if you just keep few things in mind: Against NC, strafe alot, their pistols have power, but are slow to fire, so missing shots are more fatal for them. Against TR, remember always take some distance if you possibly can, since their pistols are most deadly at close. As far as I can tell, those things doesn´t affect VS pistols so much, biggest disadvantage is the bullet speed, but I got used to it pretty quickly.
  6. Urban_Scorp

The Beamer must stay as it is!

Making it a more competent weapon will take away it's greatest power, humiliation.

Those killed by the Beamer have disgraced their family. So it is and so it shall be.
    • Up x 12
  7. grin

8. WombatNinja

Funny, I actually quite enjoy the Beamer.
    • Up x 1
  9. ghnurbles

The factional pistols have different strengths. The TR pistol is the best in very close range, but it becomes useless quickly with range.
  10. Wintermaulz

Vanu has the worst pistol. Since when did this change from PS1?
  11. SabreNation

Part of the reason I haven't invested in a bolt-action for my Infi. The starter VS pistol is just crap. I've got a couple kills with it but only if I get the drop on the other guy and can land a headshot or two before they start returning fire. Any other situation and I won't bother. I have an easier time hip-firing my semi-auto sniper rifle.

I won't by a bolt-action until I unlock the Manticore for that reason.
  12. Nyth_

Statwise the beamer looks like it has the 2nd highest TTK, and is actually quite a bit ahead of the other pistols other than the Repeater which is WAAAY ahead of all the competition.
    This is a bit misleading though for 2 reasons:
    1. It has a RoF that is too high for a semi auto. As in you can't possibly get that many bullets out by spam shooting without any kind of macro.
    2. Even if you could, the recoil and bloom would totally kick your behind making it very inaccurate.

With that in mind, and playing all factions for a while I feel like the Vanu guns the worst by quite a bit. The TR one just shreds everything obviously. The NC one isn't great, but since you can make almost full use of its RoF it actually packs a punch.

If you assume you can fire 3 shots a second, and 9 shots (since it's burst) with the Repeater. (Note: 4 shots a second on the semi autos and 3x3 burst on the repeater is still a win for the repeater and Rebel; and I don't see you getting many more than 4 off without losing accuracy)
    The Repeater (starter) is still first, doing 1000+ damage a second effectively laying waste to someone super speedy in CQB
    The Rebel (NC bought gun) comes in second, not suffering much from the lower RPM being a semi automatic.
    Third place is tied for the Manticore (VS bought) and Mag Shot (NC starter) as they are equal, weren't it for the fact that the Mag Shot actually has a smaller cone of fire for some ******** reason. So joke's on us VS brothers.
    Last place goes to the Beamer (VS start) and TX2 Emperor (TR bought) which are equal as well.

It's kinda annoying, because as infiltrator I'm suppose to rely on my sidearm a lot; yet the difference is so huge.
  13. Lazaruz

Still waiting on a burst fire variant for VS. Manticore was a disappointment to say the least, glad I didn't rush the decision and buy that thing.
  14. Undead Clown

I'm hoping at some point they add unlockable pistols that rival other empires, so NC and VS can have burst, TR can have high damage, etc. My favorite is actually the NC Rebel, 2 headshots for a kill, you can kill very fast if you can aim well, and you don't run out of ammo as fast as VS/TR spam pistols. The bad part is that even with good aim the Beamer can take half a mag or more to kill without headshots, think its 3 headshots at close range (5m) but rapidly drops off in damage.
  15. Nyth_

Annoying part is that the manticore is still enough of an upgrade over the crappy beamer that you're tempted to spend money/certs on it. I'll probably just try to wait out for some new pistols to be introduced, but I'm not holding my breath on anything good really.
  16. Goats

Exactly. It's part of Planetside, they can't make the Beamer decent. Just make a common pool pistol or something.
  17. ShinyToyPaladin

I would desperately like a new pistol for Vanu :D
  18. Opapanax

Manticore... Nuff said..
  19. Saool

I've not tried other empires pistols so cannot compare to them, however I upgraded to the Manticore and like it. Immediately after unlocking it I took down two TC heavies in close quarters with a Manicore/Knife combination. Might have just been luck, but it sold it for me.
  20. Izriul

I find NC pistol the best by a mile. It's a really really solid side-arm.

The TR one is more of a gimmick, but, it is quite practical regardless and certainly get's the job done, especially in CQC.

Vanu one just out right sucks, and not just a little. You can get kills with it, but it's so sooo bland, boring to use, and has no real perks to it other than accuracy, which shouldn't really be needed in a sidearm...if you want to snipe someone at range, use a primary weapon. It also looks stunningly crap.