[Suggestion] Vanu Concept Is Woefully Under-Utilised

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Myka, May 9, 2013.

1. Myka

Because, seriously SOE, this:

[IMG]

is lame as all hell.

The Vanu Sovereignty. We are supposed to be akin to religious zealots, we unearth :ancient alien: secrets and twist them to our own use. Our unearthly appearance strikes fear into the enemy, our weapons fire blazing white-hot plasma... Technology equals might and all that. Right?

Yeah. Instead, we get him ^^. Instead we get charge weapons, because coding lasers would be hard. Instead we get sparkly pink disco powers for our MAX and unbelievably lame MAX AV weapons to complete the set.

The Vanu concept is woefully under-utilised. It has huge potential - we use alien technology, for Vanu's sake - but nearly all of it is wasted. So far, the best our much-vaunted technology has given us are floaty tanks, purple bullets and an aircraft with horns. Where are the lasers and bizarre alien weapons? Where are the intimidating armours and scary helmets & faceplates? Is floaty and purple really the best SOE can come up with?

This is a plea to the Vanu Designers at SOE. Please, for the love of Vanu - go crazy. Bring on the weird. Make VS unique - make us different, make us scary again! Ditch the charge mechanic rubbish and give us some real alien weapons! Ditch the spandex and give us some real alien armour! Give us Lashers that really lash, plasma that really burns - make full use of the Vanu concept. Take it and twist it for all it's worth.

Don't let us become a nasty plastic, purple knockoff of the other two factions. Please. Between the Vortex and the ZOE module, I've just about lost faith in SOE's vision of the Sovereignty. Whatever we've got now, it's sure as hell isn't this...

[IMG]

... and it should be.

* hope the creator doesn't mind the use of the above. subscribe to the guy or something, he deserves it!
    • Up x 13
  2. Zapon

quote fromhttp://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...-is-to-regain-pop.111618/page-13#post-1523940

this is a quote of my response to aegie's post which had some good images, - but yep, we need to be bad@$$- the devs seem to be realizing this slowly...

zapon said:
    “Aegie said:
    “I think this would go a long way to improving balance in a dynamic fashion.

The idea of an XP bonus if you are under populated on the continent was a step in the right direction. If they added another XP bonus on top of this if you are under populated on the server that may help as well.

Still, I do feel there is an aesthetics issue with the VS in that the designs are very comic in comparison to TR and NC. There seems to be less variance in appearance of the weapons and the visual appearance of the characters is meh. I would not say they need a complete redesign but look at some of these images easily found by googling "futuristic armor":

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG]

These look very similar to VS already aside from some minor aesthetics that make them look more realistic and serious than cartoony.

Personally, I think all the aesthetics (aside from maybe a few designs here and there) need more attention. I realize that PS2 probably has difficulty in this department in terms of performance issues but it still seems like every faction is more cartoony than they need to be. I seem to see a lot of fan art floating around, especially things from DeviantArt, that are really quite nice- edgy and artsy without being overblown. I just grabbed some quick images from google to show how easy it is to find similar aesthetics to VS but with minor improvements that may go a long way in the PR department (i.e. these are far from the best examples of what could be done).”
    if the VS looked like this in-game, but with purple tints adn hues-

that would make a MASSIVE difference.

So it seems we need a re-imaginaning of how badass the VS really are ...hm

Hope SOE thinks of this one”

• Up x 4
  3. Zapon

Finally, one reason SOE might be scared to make us liek that is because of the ....alien events(possibly the original VANU???) where aliens will attack in events- and they would have some super-advanced tech, so having the VS have tech that's reverse engineered- might make for a super similar-looking fight, in appearence.

though i say go for it, since hey- who says the VS can't "look" to be in the best position to fight off any advanced aliens. xD
    • Up x 1
  4. MarthKoopa

Hang up the spandex, give us back our shiny purple and (proper darker green)teal plate armour!
    • Up x 2
  5. Zan_Aus

He looks like a metrosexual affirmative action super hero. Every young man's dream!!!

Actually that dude with the sword. Could you imagine if Vanu Infiltrators got Lightsabres? Holy crap, we'd have 80% pop overnight.
    • Up x 1
  6. Falcon_BR

No, don't take the spandex away from the Vanu! It is like taking away the goggles from the TR! It is killing a faction trademark!
    • Up x 1
  7. AaronJaX

[IMG]

Fug that...I wamt this^^^
    • Up x 2
  8. SilverAura

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  9. AaronJaX

+1 for ole skewl .. and the guy in the back with the deci.
  10. Zapon

I can't one-up you in coolness if we're counting their full gear(that Pred doesnt even have all the weapons/full armor and stuff- Comon man, we can do better:p)

but i can one-up you in coolness going by that pic of a UNEQUIPPED predator- with this
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  11. AaronJaX

Too small of a buld:eek: ge.:eek:
  12. Keelin

I'm getting a bit tired of the spandex + bicycle helmet theme as well.
  13. Neopopulas

14. Zapon

from another thread- i say all the design below needs is a green stripe ortwo alongside the purple, the heels need to go, and maybe some alternate versions with more green, some with more purplee, some with sleek silver or gold or whatever alt versions can be come up with, but mainly still ...bad@as, and bam, that'd be one set of armors xD

comes from
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...you-guys-suggest-to-hold-more-players.124496/

• Up x 1
  15. Xasapis

16. Lafladitu

Lunaleska's VS designs are all very good :)
    • Up x 1
  17. brilig

Honestly aside from the purple, the way the VS stuff looks seems to suit them fine. It's kinda alien, but still clean and purposeful. They are supposed to be obsessed scientist types rather than just mad cultists aren't they? The body suit they wear underneath does look like spandex, but there are a lot of scifi books where everyone wears a body glove of some sort under their armor.

That aside I really like the idea of unique alien weapons. I would borrow heavily from other games for stuff like this.
    Examples: Lasers for basic rifles, might be nice. Damage over time, or firing in pulses.
    Anti tank weapons could lob balls of plasma that hit a tank and do DOT like they were melting through armor.
    A beam weapon that the longer it is held on a target the more damage it does.
    I know some weapons would have to behave like the other factions to fill the same roles, but some more outlandish visual affects would be cool.
    • Up x 2
  18. Vindicore

Lol, that looks familiar! Good fight on Foreseral if memory serves after my Vindies squad successfully capped it against an enemy platoon.

Regarding the original topic - we need some more differentiation, make us more alien!
  19. CL4p2p

Agree... change the voice too because hell... our "chief" have a robotic/aliens/moroder voice , and your teamate "hey busta nide amo dawg gimmi pleaze !" "hay yo a need repair bro" ok ok I exaggerate but I would like to heard some robotic voice or modified voice
  20. IamDH

We need this badly