[Suggestion] Valkyrie mini-EMP/nade cannon

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpaceKing, Jul 6, 2015.

1. SpaceKing

Launches EMP 'nades with a much smaller radius than the infantry version.
    Nades will automatically explode after several seconds regardless of if they hit anything or not, so that you wouldn't be just sitting at flight ceiling and stripping people's shields.

The launcher wouldn't launch it far, so you'd have to get fairly close to your targets.
    Would have a small ammo pool and small (perhaps even one-shot) mag size, to ensure you eventually need to buzz off to resupply.

This allows the Valk to be straight-up infantry support and be enough of a nuisance to massed enemy infantry to be worthwhile, but not just be running around obliterating everyone like some sort of mini-lib.

Also possibly make it a 'nade launcher with unlockable smoke/mini-frag ammo types?
    The smoke would be... smoke, and the frag would be a lower damage, smaller radius mini-hand nade, complete with red 'nade warning icon.
    • Up x 1
  2. Mezinov

I don't hate this idea, but I feel it could be refined.

Particularly, I would make the grenade launched a sticky grenade. Because it would be hilarious to sail past, stick it to a guy, and watch him run over to his buddies. Also, with the beach-ball physics of normal grenades the Valkyrie would probably grenade itself with traditional grenades when they bounced off the ground with the energy of a thousand suns.

How I picture the weapon working;
    Single-Shot Grenade Launcher
    3.5 second reload
    Mag Size; 1
    Pool; 30
    Fire mode selects grenade type; Smoke, EMP, Flash, Concussion, Frag, Heal, Revive, Anti-Vehicle
    Instead of 1 Bullet, Few Bullets, Lots of Bullets icon for firemode, would use normal HUD icon for which grenade you have equipped
    All grenades are "sticky" versions of their infantry counterpart; 1/2 infantry counterpart radii ; other effects the same
    Fury Muzzle Velocity (125 m/s) and gravity on projectiles.
    2.5 second fuse (provides a flat line travel distance of 312.5m)

IDEALLY, you would tie the select-able firemode grenades to the class sitting in the gunner seat - but this would require new code and not just edits of existing code.

So;
    Infiltrator could launch Sticky Frags or EMPs, (and decoys whenever they come back)
    Heavy could launch Sticky Frags, Concussions, or AV Nades
    Engineer could launch Sticky Frags, Repair Grenade (Heal grenade but for vehicles/MAX's)
    Medic could launch Sticky Frags, Heal, Revive
    Light Assault could launch Sticky Frags, Smoke, or EMP

This would give the weapon a very unique dynamic, and one that I would personally find enjoyable
  3. InsaneLinguist

This sounds like the ultimate griefing/trolling tool. While I'm all for the idea of having an actual grenade launcher (DBG give us the Thumper back pls) in game I think putting this on an aircraft would be a bit too much.
  4. Talis

This sounds like a fun idea! I would love to see the Valkyrie act as the first "Utility Vehicle". It has such a great visual design, but the current weaknesses make it simply not up to par with the other aircraft.

I am not the best pilot, but even so, I personally love seeing the huge air raids platoons pull sometimes. I think it's one of the things that makes Planetside stand out from other games: the sheer scale - and finding ways to increase those "Wow" moments should be encouraged as much as possible.

I would Love to see a true 'Flight of the Valkyries' to come in and provide close infantry support. Fighters and bombers are neat as well, but I believe the most important 'trick' to remember in video game design is:

Don't just create toys which are fun for the person using it - create toys which are fun to have used 'against' you. This sounds almost counter-intuitive, but we all have to remember that if you give Player A a giant gun, Player B is going to be murdered by that giant gun a lot - so it should be fun to use and get murdered by.

Nice ideas, OP
  5. Talis

It would definitely need careful balancing in order to not end up a troll-tool, but I think it's possible. The game already has so many powerful abilities (invisibility, shields, etc) and I would love to see some of those neat powers be mixed up a little. For example, I was happy to learn the devs are working on a Sunderer upgrade to give it a cloaking field. Yes, it could end up imbalanced, but - provided they pay close attention to player feedback - there is usually a way to make just about anything work.

I definitely don't want to see the game pass up on awesome and innovative ideas due to a fear of possible imbalances. I'm not saying break the whole game obviously, but I don't think giving more options to a sadly under-played aircraft will throw the game out of balance.

As an aside, I would love to see the Valkyrie act a little more like its real-life counterparts (helicopter / gunship). It would be awesome to see some optional side-turrets on the port & starboard to make it viable as something other than a quick troop transport. Or, if it is going to be a troop transport, give it some neat abilities to make it 'good' at that role, such as a cloaking field, thrusters, more maneuverable drop pods, smoke screen bombs, flares, short-range Auto Turrets, etc, etc.

At the moment it is like the red-headed step child nobody wants =(
  6. Ogopogo

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing the pilot get a fixed mounting utility/light (very much so) damage grenade launcher. Something along the lines of sensor darts (clip of 3 with similar duration to crossbow sensor darts but with slightly bigger radius), a smoke grenade launcher (quite, quite low muzzle velocity, clips of 3), light emp grenade launcher (partial damage to shield and ability drain), and healing grenades (partial health and shield). While some might have more in reserve (mainly sensor dart one), I would hope they would have low reserve ammo, something along the lines of 3-7 clips (8-14 for the sensor darts).
  7. Steza

A grenade launcher that shoots EMP might be a bit to much, imagine you're losing a facility you're boxed into your spawn room you have a teleporter that's undefended by the enemies allowing you to sneak to the point. Now imagine a valkyrie is sitting there with thermals on the grenade launcher shooting EMP's down. if they time it right they can land it away from the shield enough so your HUD picks up on it last second you run out EMP and then you're just bait for the enemy.

But a grenade launcher does seem like it would be a good weapon for it. The only question I have is would it function better then having a heavy and a infiltrator with grenade bandolier tossing there class unique grenade down then shooting them up with bullets and rockets?
  8. Mezinov

My question would be; how is this any worse than a liberator just hovering there with a Dalton and Thermals and just 1 hit TKO anyone who comes out? Galaxy with Bulldogs?

If the base is overrun to the point that a Valkyrie can hover with impunity; the fall of it is inevitable and it is just a farm.

Atleast in the event of a Valkyrie hovering around, you can take a Heavy Assault and just rage into it with your LMG and it will be enough to chase it away; since it has paper armor.
  9. Nintyuk

This Reminds me of the emp grenade launching ORCA's From C&C Kane's Wrath.
    So I like this idea even more because of that.