valkyrie feedback

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Obstruction, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Obstruction

• raise resistances across the board
    • increase forward flight speed and/or add passive AB
    • protect rumble seats from splash
    • stabilize rumble seat aim
    • increase nosegun to 360 degrees
    i feel that these few changes will bring the Valk to a competitive and fun state, without overbuffing or making any weapon changes. right now it just doesn't have enough staying power or mobility to really gauge the state of the weapons themselves.

in addition to this, but of primary importance, the player experience in both main weapon and rumble seats is both nauseating and frustrating.
    • Up x 4
  2. ShoeFlip

Just tried valk for the first real time today, rumble seats seem to be absolutely pointless if anyone in the region is using flak. Was in a squad that kept spawning more valks because they wanted to try them out, all four rumble seaters die like instantly from a single skyguard.
  3. Obstruction

my experience has been the same. i didn't want to clutter the OP with a bunch of Didn'tRead; but since you brought it up, i feel like rumble seats taking direct hits from small arms, basilisk/cobalt/walker, even AP rounds, that much is fair. even ESFs sniping guys out of the sides with noseguns, i would totally respect. but the way it is now is not fun at all.
  4. OldMaster80

All the Valkyrie's issues were crystal clear even on pts. I wonder what the hell were they thinking when they pushed it live.
    They must at least buff its flak / firearms resitance otherwise it fails even as a simple transport vehicle. No one wants to be passenger on a vehicle that turns into a fireball 3 seconds after taking off.
    • Up x 3
  5. ShoeFlip

Absolutely, think I died like 5-6 times total and only once did I die to something other than flak.
  6. Obstruction

i think it needs resistances raised pretty much across the board. it should probably come out to be a little stronger than or equal to a lib in terms of taking hits from heavy shells but, still susceptible (@high resistance value) to small arms/light weapons like cobalt and cannister.

basically you should be able to take one down with an MBT or dumbfires like you would a lib that lingers too long, but also able to deter one with harasser weapons, MBT secondaries, any combination of sunderer weapons, or just a squad all firing carbines at once.

although they could use a little resist boost with regard to heavy weapons like tankbuster - just to get them out of one-clip territory - the core of the problem is that they have no evasion options when under that kind of attack. added maneuverability (specifically passive afterburners) and top speed will do much more to improve survival, in combination with modest resistance buffs, than just jacking up HP until it's overpowered.
  7. Fizzyboom

it should be immune to small arms fire

nobody with a rifle should potentially be able to kill six ppl in one go
  8. Krokozor

rage is my only feedback. spend on that crap 15k certpoints and ten dollars and it still do only funny explosions and honk-honk.
  9. DoubleBill

I don't think so. It would be overpowered: a single Valkyrie could destroy a platoon. But that's true that the resistance must be raised up.
  10. Krokozor

platoon of who? infiltrators? that platoon deserve to die.
  11. andy_m

I had already had a go in the rumble seat on test and decided then that this wasn't for me.

And I managed to kill a couple of peeps that must have been in the rumble seats with my Burster over the weekend. Which it a bit strange, given that if I train my Burster onto infantry in general (in desparate need I hasten to add) it takes quite a few direct hits to get a kill, and at long range the chance of landing a shot at all it somewhat rare. So, to hit and kill an infantry peep at long range in a moving target made me wonder...

Trouble is, it is a rumble seat, and being in that seat allows us to use (most of) our weapons. So, unfortunately, that exposes us to lethal damage. I'm not entirely sure that putting a shield over the rumble seat opening would be right, but is an option.
  12. The Rogue Wolf

The flak shells don't explode on contact with infantry, and therefore don't cause their explosive damage. The infantry in the Valkyrie are exposed to the exploding flak, which does far more damage.
  13. Krokozor

wonder how soe fix that problem. probably by breaking flak.
  14. SpruceMoose

Managed to find a parked valk with my flash

little under 2 clips with my renegade and it was dead, that's just flat out wrong
    after that any valk I caught flying low trying to dodge AA or pick up troops got pumped full of holes

something is seriously wrong when an air ship sees a flash and runs away
    I shouldn't be able to chase an air ship away let alone set it on fire with an anti-infantry gun mounted on, again because it needs to be said, a flash
    • Up x 1
  15. Crayv

It is a cheap nimble little transport, not a tank.

That being said I wouldn't mind it getting a new armor type called "hot drop reinforcement" which great increases its flak resistance and provides some protection for the people in the rumble seats.
  16. Ronin Oni

Maybe grant Rumble seats massive explosive & flak resistance

Anything that hits them directly would still kill them normally, but with like 90% flak/explosive resistance they could tank more than the valk (assuming Valk is taking more direct hit damage from explosions).

It would damage them and prevent regen/shield though, and still be an overall nuisance to passengers
  17. vsae

What is really funny about the vakyrie is that I can kill it with....full clip of the Marauder-H. Furthermore, I always kill the rumble seat passengers with spash before the vehicle. Lol. Not that splash of marauder is any good..
  18. CipherNine

You can use Valkyrie do to quick flybys and flanking. Say there is a 48v48 standoff. Squad leader puts a waypoint on where exactly you should be dropping people (for example tower which offers elevation advantage and puts enemy into crossfire).

Valkyrie can be used successfully to quickly get to the drop point and then get out before AA can react. You can do dozen of such passes which allow you to better deploy people and put more pressure on the enemy than you could if everyone was just spawning on the Sunderer and attacking enemy head on.

But this only works on Hossin and certain bases which provide lot of cover so Valkyrie can hide its approach. In majority of cases it is better to simply spawn a Galaxy, get it to 800m altitude so its beyond render distance for ground AA and park it just above the desired drop location.
  19. Botji

Imo the speed needs a small bump, health needs a slightly bigger bump, rumble seats need flak immunity and the Valkyrie itself needs small arms immunity... oh and the rumble seats need a bit of stabilization.

Throw that on live and see how it performs, I think it would be fairly decently balanced like that.
  20. Cinnamon

It was a mistake to listen to the community and give Valkyrie 4 rumble seats. With so many rumble seats everyone thinks that the thing is a "cert pinata" or "flying coffin." It's a serious case of all the eggs in one basket when really the vehicle should only have one rumble seat passenger at most. The extra seats give it more utility but they also give people more chance to get into trouble using it leaving them thinking that it is just a bad experience.

The thing feels like it is too easy meat for lockons without stealth as terrain mostly isn't complicated enough to break locks with nap of earth flying. Especially it is too easy for ESF with lockons to kill. If I was thinking of adding some sort of base "panic button" type ability to the Valk like vanguard shield or afterburner I would add an electronic countermeasure button that would remove any spot and make it immune to locks for about 10 seconds. If it is hovering around infantry killing them they should be able to use small arms and unguided rockets.

The defences against air weapons are in general not great. I don't know what to think about the weapons or resists on it at the moment. None of them are especially overpowered while other air vehicles are really overpowered in comparison and people are experts at using them.

What I would consider to do to "relaunch" it would be:
    1. Lower nanite cost to make more of a disposable transport. (possibly lower score for killing them?)
    2. Back to 2 rumble seats.
    3. Give pilot a kobalt type nose gun.
    4. ECM button as base ability.