Utility Slot

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Halfhanded, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Halfhanded

Med Kits vs. Regeneration Kits

Med are more expensive. Does that mean better? Should I wait for that or pick up the regen kit at 30 points? Does anyone have experience with both? My main use for either of these would be typical LA flank-and-fly, avoiding/absorbing fire until I get around a corner before popping one of the kits.
  2. Achmed20

regen was allways enough for me till i got my C4.
    both heal for the same even if the regen should heal more
  3. Nehlis

Regen kits, there's no reason to rush the heal, since if you need health NOW, chances are someone is shooting at you or about to, meaning you'll probably die mid or post injection any ways. With Regen you're encouraged to find cover so that your shields recharge, then use the kit. Of course, there are better things for some classes, LA usually rock c4, engies usually take AT mines or ammo packs, medics don't really need it since they have their F ability. It's great for increasing survival time of HA's though, and Inflitrators if you manage to escape.
  4. Winterspawn

I use the regen because I didn't even notice the medkit but regen can completely heal me in a few seconds, I'm not sure if the medkit can.

I would like to test out C4 but I don't really feel like as if I need it. I don't encounter that many tanks and vehicles since I stalk hostiles on top of high places and place some bullets in them without being seen. Tanks don't know I'm there and they leave me alone while I mark them on the map for HA and others to take care of them. I won't put myself at risk in urban environments. Maybe in the open field where I can't hide that C4 would be more usefull to me. It's a personal preference I guess. The cost for C4 is very high though.
  5. Caracal

C4 is also useful for:
    mining a control point/generator (for when opponent comes back to recapture)
    mining the exit to an enemy spawn point
    mining a wall turret, one c4 will bring the engineer hiding inside out to repair. then you kill.
    mining the ground just before you turn the corner, while being chased, the pursuer never expects it, and if you dont get a kill, itll buy you time to escape.

c4 is really really useful.
  6. Halfhanded

I didn't pick up that C4 and the med kit were mutually exclusive. They're in different parts of the UI.
  7. Winterspawn

Sure, but is 200 certs really worth half a kill while with my regen kit I can survive for longer and get a whole lot more kills? C4 is usefull if you're fighting on a continent you fully control so you get loads of infantry points but otherwise they're just too expensive. A grenade to throw around a corner or into a generator room is good enough for me and my regen kit sure does it's work for less than half the cost of a C4.
  8. Caracal

oh sure man! its all based on your own style. I prefer c4, but i also recognize the benefits of not having to go find a medic once hurt.

There was a debate a couple days ago on if one tank/turret kill is worth 2 c4. And, a sundy, 3 c4. Personally, i say yes. But others dont agree. And thats fine, ya know? All I am saying is that with a bit of thought, c4 becomes very useful. Like mining, a vehicle spawn console, then finding a quite spot. chuckling while you wait. BUAHAHAHA
  9. Winterspawn

Yes, I know that part of the people need to carry C4 to actually take out that tank I mark on the map, but I just don't feel like spending that many points into it with a chance of losing them all. I just like to stay hidden and assassinate people who are posing a real threath like hidden snipers only I can reach, or other LA's trying to get in a sneaky position (other LA's are the hardest fight to me so I do need the regen kit after it) and kill hostile medics in a group and throw in a grenade if I still have one. The regen pack makes this possible for me to survive because playing that style tends to keep me away from medics while I only have so long before I eventually get seen. The guy who ends people's streak is usually me, hunting threats to infantry that aren't vehicle based.

I respect your respect to see that both styles of LA are needed for a team to be succesfull. If only other would be the same. And if others would finally seem to notice that spawn beacons can be destroyed:eek:
  10. gunshooter

Reasons to use C4:

1) You can actually threaten vehicles.
    2) You can reliably fly above clumps of infantry, drop c4, and kill a bunch. Better than grenades, because grenades roll.
    3) You can reliably 1v1 MAX units. You are also a complete counter to engineer+MAX trains, as all it takes to ruin them and get you 3-4 kills is a single C4 flyover. Very easy to do in Biolabs and such.
    4) You can use them to bait people around corners, or take a bunch of people with you if you ever find yourself in a situation you can't escape from.

In my first 4 hours playing LA I had gotten over 100 kills with JUST c4. I *ALREADY* have as many kills with c4 as I have with frag grenades, in 2 days of playing LA.

LA without C4 isn't even LA.
  11. Winterspawn

For reason posted above I disagree on that last sentence.
  12. gunshooter

You give up all that utility for a self heal when:

1) Your health bar is only half of your total actual "health." You already automatically regen half of your "health," aka shields
    2) You should rarely be getting into straight up fights where your health can be threatened.
    3) YOU CAN FLY OVER WALLS and go heal yourself at a sunderer/terminal/find a friendly medic.

LA isn't HA, the majority of your kills are people unaware of your presence. Carrying around a self heal would be sometimes useful still except it competes with the one thing that makes LA a true threat to the actual important targets.

You might be bad and make bad choices, but don't try to push your bad choices on others. You're just feeding misinformation here.
  13. Winterspawn

Well clearly you didn't read my post. I usually don't do head on encountes, I flank and ambush. When my health is down and I get in a fight with another LA that's of decent skill like me it's all about having the most health, and other LA's are usually the only ones that manage to ge me, I can escape others who are too strong for me head on. What I really say it that for the cost of 1 c4 and the kills and xp it gets me I can get much more kills and xp by staying alive due to me being able to regain health without a medic. You just assume there are always medics and sunderers and engineers neaby but for this usually isn't that case, I go solo and go to hidden places where those classes can't reach and actually finding one of them means going to a whole group of people in the middle of a big firefight where that medic is busy and where I have a big chance of getting killed even going there. The medkit just gets me better results for less resources. Only on continent where you control most of the territory you can reliably keep using c4 without running out of it.