[Suggestion] Utility slot: Force Field Doors

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WUNDER8AR, Nov 21, 2014.

1. WUNDER8AR

I think it would be neat if as an infantry unit there'd be some kind of deploy-able force field in the utility slot which would fit exactly into those standardised doorways that every building has. Say there's three versions.

#1: A clear one that stops explosives from passing through but not bullets and infantry units themselves much like the outter AMP station gate fields. This would be a nice thing to have to take pressure off of certain entrances, partularly ones that are being shelled by vehicles from the outside, but it'd still allow reinforcements to swarm in. Available only to Engineers.

#2: An opaque force field that basically acts as a barrier for both enemy and friendly infantry units as well as bullets and explosives (yes there's potential for griefing if friendlies wouldn't be able to pass through, though I'm sure we could together find a solution for that). Available only to Medics.

#3: An anti-MAX painfield. An enemy MAX may pass through this painfield, but it would receive like an electrical shock which would take away say 50% of its HP in an instant. Everything else would be unaffected. Available only to Infiltrators.

Force fields could come in a neutral color, perhaps white, with a coloured faction emblem in the center. The Anti-MAX painfield would have like a special emblem or visual effects in addition to that.

Medics, Engis and Iniltrators would have access to only one force field per life. The force fields would be generated by a small device which you would put on the ground and depending on where you're facing the moment you deploy it, the device itself would be protected from one side by the actual force field it is generating. Force fields can only be placed into standardised doorways!

The device could be destroyed by enemies and friendlies only via a knife swing or EMP grenades. So you basically had to go around said force field to destroy it unless you happen to be an Infiltrator in which case you just throw an EMP at it. Infiltrators could also hack the force/painfields.

Poor base design that sometimes still allows vehicles to shell the entrances and pulverise everything in the inside could be tamed with these things. Rampant grenade and C4 spam at a doorway? Put down a clear or opaque force field to put an end to it. Ridiculous amounts of skillsuits slaughtering your allies in a Biolab? Call in your Infiltrators to put down some anti-MAX painfields to give them a little bit of a harder time. Bases, or capture points and genrooms in particular, could be made more defense-able, which'd not only give more power to defenders, but potentially also the attackers if used properly. A platoon worth of players redeploying to a base that is about to be lost to flip the point with overwhelming numbers would turn out to be more difficult if the attackers could lock down the capture point with force/painfields.

I feel like this would add some much needed depth to infantry combat and give some more value to Infiltrators in particular. Ofc coordinated play would be able benefit the most from the above suggestions, though I'm also seeing it as a powerful tool for solo players if used properly.

I'd appreciate your thougths, critisism and additional suggestions regarding the subject.
  2. JudgeNu

Interesting idea.
    I can only see it being an option w/out exploit/spam, that there are only a certain amount that can be used per base/area and only available at the base, such as a locker, also limited to class as you suggest.