Utility Pouch missleading information?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by SokarGoldberg, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Shiaari

Anti-personnel mines are far far more useful than tank mines or C4, hence why it costs so much to get that third mine. They do not want you to get that third mine easily. It would be overpowered if it were so easily obtained. The limit is 2 unless you really... really... really... REALLY... want that third mine.

I don't see what the problem is.
    • Up x 1
  2. Cymoril

I dont have a problem. I was just saying that some people have more luck with tank mines and swear by them, others with C4. I dont have much luck with either of those 2 and enjoy APs. I feel like SOE could let players "define" their own play style with a "sachel" since you get to cert into whatever "style" class you like to play from the beginning.
  3. DirArtillerySupport

IT'S A TRAP!!!

Yes this never made any sense to me since day one...I honestly thought it was a mistake that got overlooked...it made that little sense. If you're going to assume someone is actually going to use AT and C4 by creating a cert tree that forces you to cert into another cert tree to be of any use then multiple AT and C4 should have been free once you entered the tree....and even if they were it still has absolutely nothing to do with the 3rd and last item which, like you, may be the only item you really wanted to use to begin with. Technically a person has to do an insane amount of cert grind just to carry 3+ AP mines...for what? You have to cert all this space meant for other equipment just so you can carry a few extra AP mines? These things must be enormous or weigh a tonne.
  4. Shiaari

No, just game balance. They want you to work hard for that third anti-personnel mine. What is so difficult to understand about that?
  5. Stormlight666

I agree that you should only carry one type of explosive at a time, but the utility pouch should be changed to give you 1 extra explosive (of the type you have equipped) per level of the pouch. Give engineers a chance to actually lay down a minefield on a bridge if they chose to, or be able to mine a generator without having to try and find a terminal to refill immediately.
    • Up x 1
  6. Advanced Darkness

YOu got to really think out of the box in that game. Way more than all of this "lets pretend we're seal team six but in the future" calling out all of these call signs and using the word flank every chance they get. Whether you were squaded up or doing solo stuff in PS1 you had chances to use your brain alot more than here. And i know exactly what youre talking about when it comes to running under water. I used my surge implant so many times to get my CR5 to the other side of a bridge, under water, so i could cloak and find just the right spot to drop an OS so i could take out the enemy AMS so the rest of my faction could pour across the bridge. Small things like that mattered and was tons of fun.
    • Up x 1
  7. o.Solei.o

I never got the hang of this (due to FPS issues in the early days), but there were people who had the muscle-memory for opening their inv, rt-clicking that deci, closing their inv, and firing down to ridiculously short times.

Scavenging ammo did add some very interesting dynamics to the game that I kind of miss. Choosing which guns to use when fighting which empires due to each empire having different ammo spreads. VS were always a pain in the *** due to batteries instead of bullets. Iirc, NC had the widest spread of ammo types. TR had BULLLLEEEETTTTTSSS, and that was pretty much it. ;)

Given its more sim-like nature, PS1 life-spawns could be silly-short or ridiculously long. It's a shame sim style games aren't that popular. I'd definitely like to see more immersion in PS2, make it more like persistent ARMA 3, in space. :cool:
  8. DirArtillerySupport

Fine no problem with that...make carrying a 3rd AP mine cost 2000+ cert points...that would make sense. How am I supposed to explain this to my friends? You try and explain it to someone new to the game...with a straight face...and then ask them what is so difficult to understand about that?
  9. Ryekir

The advantage is that you can place up to 5 AT mines, then resupply and place up to 3 AP mines, then resupply and place up to 4 C4 (though since C4 despawns once you release now, I don't know why you would), and then resupply and go back to your nanoweave, flak armor, or any other suit slot item. Your explosives will remain there until you logout, they explode, or you lay more explosives.

Of course, the 5th AT mine is less useful because one mine by itself isn't going to kill anything other than a flash. You could pair it with one of your AP mines to take down a MAX or infantry with flak armor, but that's very situational.

The 3rd AP mine for 1000 certs (or 3100) total isn't really worth it until you are high level and have more certs than you know what to do with.
  10. Stormlight666

Exactly. Tons of fun. Surge an infiltrator under the battle - pop them up and OS the AMS then if you live run up and lay down 4 mines and possibly a turret to protect you.
    • Up x 1
  11. Advanced Darkness

Yeah was just talking to my bro in law , who also played PS1 for yrs, about how we happily payed a sub for years for a robust, diverse game with challenge. We'd do it again but F2P games will only cater to the players who throw lump sums of cash at them over a short period of time.
    One of the only F2P games, that ive played, that have been reliable in giving more and over the years has been TF2. Since 2007 its been the only game on every PC ive had since then that has never been uninstalled because i was bored with it or they did something stupid to the game.
  12. Cymoril

I dont think so. I think your only allowed 1 entity to be placed at a time. Once you "reset" to another entity it clears out your old items that you placed and lose the resources in the process. I could be wrong. I havent played more than 5 min at a time in the last 3 weeks but the one thing I am sure of is that you could set your charges, resupply your ammo bag and the 2 entities or deployables wouldnt replace each other. This also goes for the mana turret. Deploy it, and a ammo bag then switch to medic, theyre gone. However any mines that you have dropped are still active. Thus the turret and bag are active deployables and the mines are passive. So only 1 passive depolyable can be up at a time from my experience.
  13. Ryekir

You can most certainly deploy AT mines, then deploy AP mines, and then even switch classes and they will still be there. I do this quite regularly.
  14. Cymoril

Awesome! Nice to know. I rarely have a AT mine go off so I always just stick with the proxs. Thanks.
  15. Sabreur

My one complaint about the Utility Pouch is that you have to spend an insane amount of certs to place a single extra AP mine. Does anybody here even have maxed-out utility pouch?
  16. Armchair

Yeah.....no they're not.

Oh boy, your mine MAYBE killed one WHOLE INFANTRYMAN. OH MY GOD, somebody alert high command! This will have a tremendous impact on the battle!

C4 and AT mines have the capability to destroy far more valuable assets and have a much bigger impact on a battle.

Sometimes they can be useful as a last-line of defense around a gen.....but that almost never works because grenade-spam is so popular and the mines have almost no chance to survive the grenades (in fact, the grenades will probably trigger the mines and the now detonated mines will kill the defenders who barely survived the grenades).

They're mainly useful for trolling people who think that KDR is a meaningful stat and those who foam at the mouth and think that it's unfair that they died because they stepped on a mine. FAR from overpowered.

Oh, and good luck if you're TR with claymores. I don't know what they were thinking giving the TR a mine that is worse than the others in the majority of situations.
  17. Daw2

I agree the poor way trees are setup make this tree a complete waste of certs, unless you want the easy c4.
    Each upgrade should be cost and solo, I'd pay 1k certs for another prox mine, not 3k, when i'm getting lots of useless ****.
    This is also a problem i have with upgrading clip size, because of "balances sake" People carry around chain guns, why would an extra mine or clip hurt?
    I upgraded my shotgun and got 4 more rounds per clip, and my eng forgot he could carry an extra clip.
    Same goes for the heavy's weapons they lose clips when they forget they can carry more ammo, Is it the same with the pouch? the C4 labeled area wont let you shove anything else into it? god no! the pouches are taking over the world.

Its somewhat ********.
    They should just have a point system for carry weight, Clip = 15 rocket = 15, C4 + Both Mines 25 Ea of 100.
    If you could mix and match having to upgrade the tree wouldn't be so bad, you could carry 2 c4 and 3 extra rockets on a heavy, 2 c4 and 2 prox mines on an eng, or tank mines to replace either.

And other classes like LA and Infin could carry x2 (prox/C4) and extra 3 extra clips.

I'd give up grenades for a mix and match system like this. Nades could be 10?
  18. SkepticJerry

You are missing the point my friend. If you want to harden a point, equip the suit, plant 5 AT mines, resupply, plant 3 Betties. Now multiply this by say three engies. That's a lot of mines. Go back to a term and put on the suit you wish to use for the fight.