[Suggestion] Utility : Binoculars

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Minsc, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Minsc

Higby has been discussing with the team how to change the spotting system. Assuming it becomes less ranged and lasting, or just less available, here as an idea for a very team-oriented utility for LA.

Binoculars
    A utility unique for LA. It would be a spotter scope that when scoped provides zoom (based on cert level). While scoped you press "fire" to shoot an IR laser pulse (range based on cert level). If it hits an enemy, they get spotted and get a very slight halo around them. The halo would just act to make them stand out slightly from the background and could vary with level, and would work on vehicles too. The before mentioned IR laser pulse would be visible when looking through an infrared scope to allow tracing it back to the spotter.

Hypothetical : new spotting and how this fits with it
    New spotting would have a range of ~50m, reveal no occupancy information (no 3/12 over sunderers), can't go through smoke and would last half as long unless someone is actively aiming at the target. With binoculars, LAs could spot at longer ranges, spots would last longer, halo around spotees and occupancy data can be revealed (at level), but not through smoke.

Why Light Assault?
    Well, we need a team-skill. But we could make use of it better than anyone. A LA could get to great vantage points to spot for allies. And a sniper/LA pair could be a powerful duo. The sniper can be scoped in looking for someone to shoot, the LA would then spot a nice target and the infil can take the shot. I think infiltrators could also get this, but they have hacking and recon darts (both good team skills) so LA it is!
    • Up x 3
  2. Xocolatl

I've been hoping that LA or INF would get this sort of functionality implemented some time. The only problem is..who would use this as this would grant basically zero XP, and the solo casuals are all about XP farms?
  3. Iridar51

I just hope we'll get something in the utility slot, so people stop bringing this issue up.

However, I don't see much use in such binoculars. People have discovered a wonder of speech long ago, and they can actually communicate with their squad.
    And I don't like changes to spotting system, it's barely lasting now and that's ok, but to reduce it further? Please, no.
    Too intricate if not convoluted.

So you can't see inside enemy vehicles with bare eyes, but with magical binoculars you can? I don't like that.
    Besides, vehicles already beat the crap out of infantry, why give them even more advantage?
    While this is true, I don't think snipers need spotting to kill their targets. They can kill only afk or standing people anyway.

Just my opinion.
  4. Minsc

Spotting could grant XP Xocolatl. More than the current spot bonus.

Iridar51, speech is great but not everyone is good about saying where the enemy is and sometimes people don't have mics. This would simply make it easier for people to call out enemies that need killing. The binoculars could see the numbers inside a vehicle based on how low/high the suspension on the vehicle is (in IRL at least), but in the game there is already a bunch of suspension of disbelief so I don't see how this is out of the realm of possibility. Spotting right now is far too spammable and needs some tweaking. I find it lasts a long time, shouldn't it go away once no one has line of sight? My idea might be a bit harsh, but that's only to encourage people to use the binoculars. What is too intricate about it? The IR laser effect and halo are entirely visual. But the premise remains rather simple. It's a laser targeter and a means of highlighting the enemy. The scope power and added benefits are simply a way to tier the cert levels.
  5. W00Die

Binoculars is a wonderfull idea. But instead of specifying it to a certain class it should be placed in Squad Leader tree. I hope SOE willl find some time and resources to do so.
    In addition you can, for example, set squad waypoints with it (without pressing "M") - sort of IR effect as Minsc said. Or something like that.
  6. Jack tha Man

I think this is a great addon and a good idea... tho i got something figured out for this that might make it more effective and casual user friendly... Im working on a thread that might solve alot of the games problems and this will be in the wall of text lol ^^
  7. Minsc

Will it be in the LA subforum or general, you're welcome to post a link to it here seeing as its relevant to the thread :-D
  8. Sevre

Binoculars: The Game

To paraphrase The Dark Knight: Binoculars aren't the hero the world needs, it's the hero the world deserves.

Every day I think to myself: the world DESERVES a good binocular simulator. And it's up to Higby to give the people what they deserve.
  9. santuckcasper

I WANT BINOCULARS!!!!!
  10. Chemicalnurd

I want binos, but I'd rather they were an option for all classes, had variable zoom levels (or perhaps you just cert into them as you would scopes) and they take the utility slot.
    Though that's out of the question until render distances are fixed, because binocs or not you can't see a single other player unless they're within 10 feet, if there are any more than three people firing a gun at the same time.
    Oh, and they should be universal certs. Like the injectors.
  11. Sevre

Imo LA's tool should be "eyeballs" and everyone else gets their eyes gouged out.

And this is what we call "balance".
  12. Wrel Developer

Yes.

(But as an option for everyone.)
  13. Minsc

And suddenly, trolls.

The idea is that people could still spot, but with reduced functionality and distance. This would just provide the LA a team role beyond the flanker.

But I would be fine with everyone having the option of having binoculars as an accessory, assuming LA would get some sort of tool. We are the only class that does not have one.
  14. Jack tha Man

comes the idea I spoke of... WARNING WALL OF TEXT
    hehe hope u read it since it
    took a while to complete as u will see
    And I hope u will find this to ur liking tho it will need some balance tweaking

Hhttp://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/jackthamans-soe-suggestionbox.80637/#post-1042707
    /Jack
  15. Jex =TE=

All classes should get binoculars and the spotting "system" requires a complete overhaul (and you should only be able to spot via the binoculars)
  16. GSZenith

erm LA isn't inf (sniper), nwm who i'm kidding, yes please.