Ursa is bad but Flare is good?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by ElricVIII, Oct 22, 2015.

1. ElricVIII

I'm having a bit of trouble with this. People tell me that the Ursa is bad and the Flare is good. However, their stats are almost the same. The Flare kicks more with a higher RoF, the Ursa is more stable with a lower RoF.

Is this sentiment just because the Ursa costs almost twice as much for basically the same thing?
  2. Mongychops

They're both fairly mediocre LMGs, the NC's Gauss SAW S is pretty much a weapon that combines the best part from both the Flare and the Ursa in one gun, and even that is one of the least used NC LMGs.

The Flare is more usable at close range (better rate of fire and soft point ammo), while the Ursa is more usable at long range (better recoil stats; FSRM, vertical, horizontal, and tolerance, also bullet velocity with reload speed as a bonus).

Both look to be getting minor buffs if/when the next large patch comes so this could change. Until then you're probably better off sticking with the SVA-88 or NS-15M for medium-ish range.
    • Up x 1
  3. Plastikfrosch

the ursa is not a bad weapon, it has high accuracy (if not even the highest of all vanu lmgs) but as long as the flare exists the ursa is obsolete since the flare is nearly as accurate as the ursa and has a wider variation of attachments (hva and spa). and thanks to the higher rate of fire its easyer to compete in close quaters against other HAs.
    and the one thing that really bothers me while using the ursa: there is no other lmg in this game (and i play all 3 factions) that has such an extreme muzzle flash. its so blinding especially at night that its hard to keep the target in sight without using the HV/NV scope or a flash supressor. the only good thing about the ursa is its unique look but the flare has the better sound. also the flare is not as expensive as the ursa (dont know how much it costs today but i got the flare at the time when it was 250certs).
    fazit: ursa is a usable weapon but flare outshines it in all ways.
  4. Erendil

The Ursa is sort of a mixed bag. It's one of the better long range LMGs in terms of accuracy. But it has a couple of problems.

First, It's not that much more accurate than the Flare but it's significantly worse at close/medium combat due to its low DPS. At 550 RPM, the Ursa is the slowest firing 167-damage LMG and it has the 2nd lowest DPS of any LMG in the game (only the NS-15M is slower, but it has .75x ADS movement to make up for it).

The difference between 550 (Ursa) and 577 (Flare) might not seem like much, but it's enough to make you lose the Flinch War when going up against any other HA at close/medium range. So it's really limited to long range combat and depends on chaining headshots to survive at any closer range. The Flare may be less accurate (in fact, it's the least accurate of all 167-damage LMGs), but at least it does enough damage to hold its own in close/medium range.

The other main issue is that the Eidolon Battle Rifle, and arguably the NS-15M, are both superior long range weapons in skilled hands. Being fully-automatic, the Ursa is easier to use than the Eidolon, but if long range + ease-of-use is what you're looking for, the NS-15M would probably be a better choice. And in skilled hands the Eidolon is simply better at long range.

So there are very few situations where you'd want to choose an Ursa over either the Flare, NS-15M, or Eidolon.
  5. ElricVIII

Thanks for the responses.

@Erendil: I actually just got auraxium on the NS-15M. I'm just scoping our possibilities for my next LMG so I can reach the directive. I'm going to do the SV-88 at some point, so I still need 3 more candidates.
  6. Eternaloptimist

Well, Polaris is a much under-rated weapon in my opinion. Reasonably good and also consistent at various ranges. If the LMG changes come through it will be buffed as well.

I'm assuming Orion got an automatic place on your list.
  7. ElricVIII

Yeah, and not just because it was free.
  8. Erendil

You might want to hold off on the SVA for now if you haven't already purchased it.

With the 10/29 Game Update, the Flare and Ursa both got accuracy buffs, and the Polaris got a damage range buff (it now does maximum damage out to 20m, or 25m with Soft ammo).

It's hard to say at this time how things are going to shake out in the VS lineup. However, the Pulsar LSW is now superior to the SVA-88, w/ the Flare right up there as well.

As it stands right now I don't think the Ursa got enough of an accuracy buff to make it a contender unless you like going for headshots. I need to play with it more to be sure. However, I would say definitely go with the LSW and the Flare, and then choose between the SVA and Polaris for your last option, depending on which one you like better.
  9. ElricVIII

Unfortunately, I bought the SVA about a day before I read the updates. I barely notice the 0.75-0.5 ADS change. In fact, the only time I really feel it is when I pie a corner in ADS. I don't see much change in my ADAD dance.
  10. Erendil

I wouldn't worry about it. :cool: I played around w/ the SVA, LSW, and Flare for about an hour last night in VR and TBH, I found the accuracy difference between the SVA and LSW to be minimal and only perceivable at the far half of their effective range (past 50-60m or so) where most people generally wouldn't use either LMG anyway.

The SVA is still a great weapon. In fact, I still can't decide which of the two LMGs I like better. But then I have ~7K kills w/ the SVA so I might be slightly biased. ;)
  11. Tetele

EM1 is...THE WAY :D