Upgrade Now Button

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Lazaruz

Instead of getting notifications saying how much you appreciate me for being a loyal member, I would appreciate not getting any useless notifications during my play sessions. Think I deserve that much... I already support the game, what more do you want?

Thank you.
    • Up x 2
  2. Selerox

Wrong answer.

Check reddit, check here, check anywhere even remotely related to this game and you'll see the hatred your paying customers have for SOE's marketing right now.

These aren't even people who you are trying to pressurise into upgrading. These are people who've already paid for the game and don't want to be harassed, and also don't want their fellow players being harassed.
    • Up x 5
  3. shadowkhat

don't put it on the battle screen at all.. it takes away from gameplay, makes you glance over to see what it is. if it continues, i'' have to find other games, i can deal with advertisments on menu screen's inventory screen anything but in the middle of a fight? looking like a friend/group request? no thanks...
    • Up x 1
  4. Tzizimitl

What makes me consider going Premium again is consistent content updates, patches and support, not in-game crap going BUY PREMIUM BUY PREMIUM BUY PREMIUM. If anything this just makes me consider not buying premium until the damn in-game ads go away. I don't mind the "UPGRADE NOW!"-sidebar while fiddling with my gear, but "DO YOU WANT TO UPGRADE NOW? Y/N" while playing is absurdly too far.
    • Up x 1
  5. Sparrow

Double XP for members, upgrade now button and the popup ads makes me feel like PS2 team is very desperate to get more money. The question is do you need more money because you are greedy or you are struggling to keep the game running (server bills, staff payment,etc).
    • Up x 1
  6. FourTwoFour

So you'll definitely not be removing this / allowing us to block it? That's fine. You just lost another player who has spend over $200+

Have fun ruining yourself just like EA / DICE did. I will NOT be supporting a company like this. You have absolutely zero respect for your loyal customers.

Here's the thing - this is a free to play game. You'll have no income once your regular/loyal customers stop playing your game. How do you not get it? Everyone is annoyed, people are canceling their subs so you're basically losing more than you're gaining.

What's even worse is you know this game is nowhere as big as let's say Battlefield where you can pull things like this and get away with it. You do this, you lose your regular players - your game is dead. There's barely anyone playing this game as it is (servers are dead every night, look at CS or even the broken BF games) they're still active at all times.

Do whatever you want. No more support from me.
  7. Fenrys

One pop up ad is one too many. That kind of annoying and invasive advertising leads to regret about previous SC purchases - a game with pop up ads is not the game I intended to financially support.
    • Up x 1
  8. MrScrubbypants

Nothing is going to make people not want to sub to the game than having annoying pop ups in the game, double so if it interrupts gameplay. If you want to advertise your membership program in-game, keep it to the loading screens. The system as it stands now is only pissing people off.

I honestly want to know who at SOE thought this was a good idea. o_O
    • Up x 1
  9. Voiidd

This.
    Honestly I can live with the upgrade button, I get its (constant)reminder for people who go to the menu to "upgrade" to member.
    Having popups interrupt you in the middle of a firefight though is not acceptable. Show them when I'm on the loading screen, death screen(that happens often enough for everyone), hell while in the warpgate if you really must show them ingame, but during gameplay? Really?
    Can only wonder who was the bright mind behind this move. Yea let's annoy them till the get a subscription. Cause that will surely make everyone want to spend more money on the game.
    • Up x 1
  10. Shoe

The thing is, all that advertising membership in-game can do is raise awareness of a product, it doesn't raise any money itself. I'm pretty sure that 95%+ of the player base already knows about membership because it's advertised pretty prominently on the market screen and on the PS2 website, so they're not telling people anything they didn't already know. If people aren't buying membership it's because they think it isn't worth it and simply advertising it more won't change that.

If they want more subscribers then they need to address the problems people have voiced about membership for ages, namely:
    • That it is very poor value for the long term, high BR-players who have most things unlocked despite these people probably being the most interested in supporting the game.
    • That many people feel the $15 isn't worth it. I know they tried to fix some of these things with the membership changes but the only real improvement was turning it into an all-access pass to other SOE games, which very few people are actually going to take advantage of.
    • That many people are reluctant to sign up for a 6-month, expensive subscription for a game where items are regularly and wildly "balanced", which gets unstable patches and where major glitches/issues linger for quite a long time.

TL,DR: There's no point in intrusively advertising to people that already know about the product, if you want to sell more you need to either make it cheaper or make it more appealing. Many people know fine rightly that they can upgrade, they just don't want to, so rubbing subscriptions in their faces is just going to irritate them.
  11. MrK

Actually being already Premium and still experiencing what you see in my sig is pretty SUPER irritating. Like, really taking the piss.

SOE, you're going to sale by making a quality product. Nothing else.
    • Up x 2
  12. gloowa

( This message can only be seen by premium members.)
    UPGRADE NOW!
    • Up x 5
  13. LunacyStudy

I like the idea of being informed of big sales when I first log in via a notification. I actually used it and it was the first I'd known about the sale currently ongoing (which is a great sale and something I'm glad SOE is still doing). My main gripe with the notification was that it kept appearing after I'd already bought stuff in the sale. If you could only notify me on log-in, that would be great.

If that's a bug, the sooner it's fixed the better.
  14. Subway

Make me feel like I am getting value with what you offer for sale and I will buy things. Make me annoyed even if only a little bit and I won't. Pop up ads while you are out playing in the game are annoying and often frustrating so I guess you know what my response will be.
    Sorry Planetside 2 team I know you need to sell stuff to make money you are a business after all but this is not the way to go about inducing me to want to buy anything you are offering. In all likely hood it will have the exact opposite effect to what you are trying to achieve, nag-ware is not the way to do this.
    • Up x 1
  15. Bl4ckVoid

I have no problem with UPGRADE NOW, except if you accidentally click it, it takes you outside the game, which is REALLY, REALLY BAD.
    Please take us into the depot instead and do not start a webbrowser.
    • Up x 1
  16. FaLI3N

I really love your sig :p
  17. MrK

In form and in content, you sir made post of the day. 100% spot on. I wish I could "like" this more than once
    • Up x 2
  18. Nitrobudyn

SOE, do You even know what reverse psychology is? Because these "Upgrade now!" buttons are agreat example.

You'd better remove those ads and make people start in depot screen instead of map screen.
    • Up x 2
  19. Stinneyt

At least give us the option to remove in game adverts and notifications.
    But just so you know. I'll do nothing more than log in and claim my free certs until you remove those stupid notifications.
  20. gloowa

You can. Just un-like it and then like again :p

Also, if you want to read my actual thoughts on the topic, click the link, i pasted my post into pastebin.