Upgrade advice needed

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Icemanthemyope2, May 20, 2013.

1. Icemanthemyope2

My FPS often hits under 10 in major battles to the point that I am pretty useless in large scale fights with my Sons of Liberty outfit. Would appreciate advice from somebody who understands computers, main goal is to get that FPS up without having to build a new computer. Like to try the upgrade route first.

My current specs: Athlon II X2 265, Biostar A770E3, 8 GB RAM Corsair DDR 1333Mhz, Seagate hard drive 7200RPM 16MB, Gigabyte radeon 5770 1 GB.

Question:
    (1) If I get a new CPU only, the AMD X6 FX-6300 will it improve FPS to above 20 FPS in big battles? Does it make sense to upgrade to this CPU or will the effect be minimal?
    (2) Does this fit on my motherboard? I think it does as it states AM3+.
    (3) Do I need to buy another copy of Windows 7 if I change the CPU?
    (4) The computer case has an outside slot for an SSD. Will that help if I put one in? Is it hard to move the windows 7 to the SSD without messing up the computer? I

Very much appreciate your answers, my computer knowledge is pretty rudimentary!
  2. BlackDove

What do you mean it has an outside slot for an SSD? You mean an eSATA or a USB port for an external drive of some kind? That would not be an ideal way to do it, and you don't need an SSD over something like a decent CPU, PSU, motherboard and RAM. SSD's are a luxury in most PC builds, and only a necessity when you are focused on high I/O workloads.

What is your budget for upgrading, or building a new PC? You may want to wait until the release of Haswell drives the prices of Ivy Bridge CPU's down. Nvidia is going to be releasing the 7 series GPU's soon, which will also drive the cost of 6 series GPU's down.

You don't need a new copy of Windows for a new PC. You just can't have it active on multiple PC's with a standard home licence, I believe.

You will need a new copy of Windows if yours is 32bit and you buy a 64bit CPU. You'd be severly limiting yourself otherwise.