Update on the Briggs Server

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mormomboy

I am not on briggs so I am not directly affected but I have to say I am loving the increased communication in the last while, keep it up.
  2. Mormomboy

Connery often has similar problems as well. I think Connery and Briggs are the usual servers with increased down time or unplayable time...
  3. AxisO7

We've had the occasional problem here and there that has lasted a few days or so, but it's only since about March 4 that this sustained huge log-in issues have started. Late January through to the problems starting we were getting roughly 1,000 people online at once during the weekend primetimes (the most we'd had since early on in the games life). Since it's started, we can't get above 750.
    • Up x 2
  4. taurangaNZ

Yeah I second that.. ever since March 4 its been a PIA to get on to briggs, next to impossible at times. I even created characters in EU and US just to play in the busy times I can't get on briggs. I found that if I left it on the "logging in" screen for about 5 to 15 minutes whilst I go and get something to eat, it always works. today is the first day even 5 minutes wait didn't work.

I have a solution for you.... stop being so cheap, and pay for a better pipe between datacentres.. you have obviously saturated the connection you are paying for and you don't want to pay any more. cut your losses and just log ship the Player Stats to Vagas in the background. every other server I play on I have to have another character anyway.. so there is nothing I get on one server that I need on the other.. you should even keep the payment and certs separate. problem solved! have a special screen if you want to transfer certs our payment info between servers/characters.

I hope you listen to my suggestion above. I write computer games for a living. Beware, there are plenty of other games I could be playing. A players patience only wears so thin, whilst they spend their logging-in wait time looking for other potential games to play on game review sites.
    • Up x 1
  5. Croian

You know what it is? It's those damn North Koreans interfering with the internets over the Pacific. DAMN YOU COMMUNISM!!!
  6. TheSandwichMakr

I was responding to JudgeNu's comment about how Austrailians are awesome, not the login time; it actually doesn't really bother me :)

Although about the login, I noticed the game no longer crashes when I forget to disconnect my vpn.
  7. Tullerion

Been trying to log in again tonight for over an hour, Seriously think I wasted my money on buying premium.
  8. Lash9

Havent been able to get on for a whole week... bit of a joke.
  9. BluescalesNZ

After it requiring multiple attempts during which the game crashed to desktop and having to wait about five minutes to log in each of my characters last night, and then logging in today only to find that as soon as I hit the continent map screen I had a ping of 21000, on top of when I can actually play, if you'd call it that, having to deal with ridiculous lag spikes every five to ten minutes, I'm done. I'l keep an eye on the forums and come back when the problem is fixed. Otherwise, I have better ways to spend my time.
  10. Diodeone

You can also go visit the location where they store it all too now.

If you've ever watched music videos via YouTube, outbid the world for a rare doohicky on eBay, shopped for stilettos from Zappos, googled, tweeted, or killed a bunch of aliens online, then you've already been inside Switch -- digitally inside-- the data center.
    It is a massive but outwardly unremarkable complex housing the most sophisticated data center in the world and it has already attracted the most coveted clientele in the known universe.
    "eBay, Google, Sony, Zappos, HP, Cisco, Activision, Intuit, University of Phoenix," said Missy Young, EVP Colocation, Switch.
    http://www.8newsnow.com/story/17279265/game-changers
  11. Danoli3

Yeah thanks so much SOE for trying to solve this one.

I see so the core problem is not only retrieving the character data but starting an ongoing connection to the database for the player from the local sydney server and back.

I wonder if you could separate the critical information from the log/stat type data and send them at different times using different layers. TCP works very well when communicating across to US, UDP I've had some trouble with.

When you guys solve this one, I think it will be a first, your lead tech should write a research paper ;)
  12. HLM

SOE, do you think you could give that bloke who's laptop you borrow a shout and tell him to restart it or something?
    Maybe someone needs to drive over to that shed somewhere in the outback and make sure it's still plugged in.

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  13. dirtYbird

Looking forward to the next, "we're working on it" thread.
    Another week has passed, nothings changed.
    • Up x 1
  14. PresidentFreeman

Well I had something very weird happen, I tried to login but gave up after waiting 10 minutes. Then I relaunched the game and alt-tabbed, when I went back into the game seconds later it was in the middle of loading the server. I never selected login or anything.

Might be worth a try if you are getting bored waiting.
  15. HLM

Sort of related - one time before I tried to login with my Briggs character (how stupid of me!) and of course it didn't work. So I restarted and logged in with a new character I made on Connery. About 10 minute later or so, I get disconnected with a message saying this account has been logged in from another location, or words to that effect.
    Obviously the server had remembered that I had logged in 10 minutes ago and finally got around to actually processing that request.

I read somewhere else how apparently all these people that attempt to log in and then have to wait for varying lengths of time will suddenly all appear on the server at the exact same time. It's like the server can only handle processing logins once every 15 minutes or something..
    • Up x 1
  16. ZaphodBeeblebrox

I'm cancelling my subscription tomorrow morning. I can't login at the moment, so what's the point?

It's terrible to see the best game ever made buggered up by such a basic issue.
    • Up x 1
  17. PresidentFreeman

That may very well be the source of the issue, if the devs aren't already aware of said bottleneck then hopefully they will be soon. The rate we are going at the moment though it may be an unresolvable hardware restriction that SOE can't get around. But that is just me being pessimistic.
    • Up x 1
  18. HLM

Don't worry, I find it hard to be anything but a pessimist. Better to expect it not to work and maybe be pleasantly surprised, rather than hope for the best.

You know what they say, "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment".

[Edit] Another login timed out while typing this post.
    • Up x 1
  19. spike4379

I havent been able to login to briggs for days, its been getting worser and worser, first it was a 5 min wait, now planetside auto exits if it doesnt login within 10 minutes, why does that happen?
    • Up x 1
  20. HLM

Well ****, here's a new one;

Tried to log on, didn't work. Quit the game and did something else for a few minutes.

Started the game again and was about to make another attempt. Before I could even click the log in button, the game shut itself down - like it does when it's been trying to connect for 10, 15 minutes.

It's like it remembered "oh you were trying to connect 10 minutes ago. Don't forget about that auto-timeout-shutdown! Here you go."

Unbelievable.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.