Update 2 Killed Light Assault: Go play Heavy or Infiltrator now

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Sogui, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Sogui

Light Assault still has a few niches, but if you're on offense against most "standard" bases - light assault is a fool's errand.

I'll give the simple reasons:

1) The new 2-story spawn gives heavy assaults and MAX's a beautiful view of 80% of the rooftops in a base and all the cover you'll ever need to shoot those pesky jetpack users. Going on a roof near enemy spawn is now a death sentence. Guess where all the fighting is... enemy spawn.

2) Ok so the new spawn can shoot onto roofs now, well why not jetpack over the new spawn and deal some pain that way? OH RIGHT! They added a DEATH FIELD above spawns that will instantly start damaging you the moment you jetpack near OR above their spawn.

3) Oh ****, they've got like 40 people in that building - I'll just slip through this window with some C4 and... DENIED. Hahahahah. Didn't you hear? Windows are blocked now fool! Better walk through the front door like the pleb you are!
    • Up x 1
  2. Achmed20

l2p
    • Up x 14
  3. Mightyhalo

I just hate how many HA's there are. Those noob weapons don't help with full auto 150 round clips. I love my LA, and play him 98% of the time, but he sure hates all the HA's he has to fight through. The LA has a steeper learning curve when dealing with mostly HA's while they just hold down a button and spam a clip on you while activating a shield no less.

LA's should get a slight bonus to damage when encountering an enemy from the side or the rear. That would balance it out a little and limit some of the HA zerg this game suffers from.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ghoest

I think the pain field on top of spawn rooms is bad game design and a bit unfair since lets defenders have the high ground alone for sure.

But it hardly ruined the class.
    • Up x 11
  5. Corvus12

I agree with Mightyhalo. If you can't get headshots on HA, or retreat, you are most likely dead. And their excelent skill in using rocket launchers to kill one infantry. I'm crying a bit, I know. And those changes to spawn buildings, towers and windows are actually quite good. No more spawn camping, atleast not so brutal. You just have to adapt to new conditions. This is what LA does.
    • Up x 3
  6. Bambolero

That death field you are talking about is a BS feature I'll agree with that but for the rest, it's working as intended.
    The whole idea was to move the fight from the spawn rooms.
    • Up x 9
  7. LameFox

So this is what goes through the minds of people who attack spawn rooms. I always did wonder about that.

Idea: stay out of LOS, shoot them when they come out, and stare disapprovingly at people who go to commit ritual suicide at the impenetrable room. You don't always need to be on top of something you know, there is other cover around too, and the jetpack is still handy for other things like putting objects between you and enemies, or vice versa. They'd need to have a sniper with a caffeine addiction keeping vigil over the spawn-room window to get you as you quickly hop over a fence or something.
    • Up x 3
  8. Sogui

That's the problem, from the spawn room there is no rooftop "outside" of their LOS in many bases. That means you fight on the ground floor so you can have cover. If you fight on the ground floor you need to be playing Heavy Assault.

The megaspawns at large base outposts are the worst offenders. Before you had 1 spawn room with lifts to the roof and drops to ground floor. Now you have a shielded ground floor, a heavily walled 2nd floor, and more lifts to a "3rd floor" rooftop that heavies/MAX's can reach. All of these floors have a death field above them. Bringing a light assault to attack these bases is suicide.
  9. LameFox

If you 'need' to play HA on the ground, you seriously need to do something about your approach. I play mostly as engineer (yes, even on foot) and besides myself there are plenty of other engineers, medics, and even LA's who manage to fight on the ground. I'm not sure what exactly you're doing, but it can't be very functional.

...and you don't need to attack the spawn building. Those outposts flip easily, and the point is in a different structure to the spawns. A handful of people holding that for a bit and suddenly their spawn is going to kill any who stay inside (and on the roof now I guess?).
  10. Achmed20

cant see any problem with all the changes. if anything if gives more more stuff to sit on and kill stuff. im having a blast with this new patch so far.

instead of crying and whining you may want to adapt to the new situation and learn how to counter all those new problems. thats wat gaming usualy is about. if you just want to shoot stuff without using you brain, you migh aswell just go an play deer hunter.
  11. Drayth

Eh, i'm all for anything that helps defenders, i just wish they had done it with a big bubble shield that prevents vehicle spawn camping but lets infantry in for a fair fight
    • Up x 2
  12. Palor

Extending the off limits zone through to the roof may have gone a bit too far (may also be a bug) other than that LAs are fine. They may be the best class when it comes to assaulting tech labs, amp stations, and air towers. Especially with the changes to many of the jump pads. Stop trying to camp spawn points and you will be fine.
    • Up x 2
  13. Serval

They have mentioned in FNO streams that they want to move combat away from the spawn rooms and make it about holding the cap point, instead of the current "lock them in the building while semi-afk people sit on the cap point/s."
  14. Alien51

15. Mrasap

I gotta agree that I felt lost playing LA the first time I logged in again after the patch. I don't know where to expect the enemy or how the combat flows right now. I switched to my medic to still be useful on ground, but I'll get back to my LA the moment I have adapted to the new situation.
  16. DuckSauce

I made back almost all the certs I spent on grenade bandolier today by blowing smelly Terrans off the balconies of their precious spawn rooms in threes and fours. It's mildly irritating that there are pain fields on top of all the new playground spawn things and really irritating that we can't jump through windows (because it's also now very hard to fire OUT of them), but it's just another thing to learn and adapt to. IMO LA is still the most fun class.
  17. Plague Rat

The class is hardly killed by this. You just won't have such a laughably easy time. There are still plenty of good place LA's can get to that others can't for ambush purposes. The whole purpose of these new changes was to give the defenders the advantage they had lacked prior. In any properly balanced game defenders always should have the advantage, basically any offensive action should take 1.5x the effort of a defensive one. It wasn't like that and a good portion off that was the light assault class's ability to go vertical, which just made it that much easier to pin defenders in their spawn rooms, and with all the avenue's of approach on defensive structures, they were just that much harder to.. well... defend.

LA can't lock down spawn rooms as easily, but can still just as easily get into other structures due to a plethora of balconies and roof access. Spawn camp easy mode is less easy, but is the class dead now? Hell no.
  18. centurionvi

I'm more annoyed how touching enemy vehicles results in instant death. I really hope that is a bug and not designed.
  19. LibertyRevolution

I don't understand the window plugs, I can still shoot through the holes in the windows with my tank, but I cant jump in or out of them.
    We are stuck to the using the 2 doors, and each will most likely have a bouncing betty with a tank mine on it..

New windows suck. They don't stop tank shells at all, it just makes the point A in a tower base an instant kill box to stand in.
  20. Skadi

Is that why a LA just THREW 2 C4 at my prowler like they were darts?
    • Up x 1