Upcoming adjustments to Alerts & Nanite costs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Malorn, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Konrad Beezo

Really feel like the nanite acquisition rate of 50/minute is too high. If it was cut to 25/minute it would feel more correct to me.
  2. HadesR

Alerts are to frequent now ..

It's seems to be back to whack a mole cont locking ...
    • Up x 1
  3. Aege

Since I stopped playing for about 10 months, I had no idea these changes were coming, so my reaction to this change was confusion (as in what's the point?).

I need to ask.... Is there a problem with anyone killing a MAX? I haven't seen that being an issue last year or this year. The MAX is a true shadow of its original self in PS2. A MAX is not intimidating whatsoever here. Double their armor, give them transport speed, make them fly, rain hell with bullets and virtually impenetrable shields, and then maybe they will be a threat.

What I believe you are causing here is a situation where if you pull a MAX for an infantry fight after you grenade spammed for half an hour (you know who you are...) and the battle's over, you end up walking because you can't pull a vehicle. And, if that tank doesn't run you over, he certainly won't stop to give you a ride.

I may be wrong, but reinventing the wheel in all shapes and sizes seems like change for the sake of change...

I think too many people have played FPS on maps that you could run across in 37 seconds.
    • Up x 3
  4. Pacster3

Not on Cobalt. Thanks to the eternal(and darn boring) vehicle chain pull stalemates our continent-locks seem to last 6+ hours even during the "empty" hours(that usually lead to more locks).

If you want to stop chain pulling of MAXes(which actually is far less of a problem than the tanks and aircrafts. because it's much easier for infantry to kill MAXes) then we need the costs go up to 600-750(same counts for tanks and aircrafts).

Once we get rid of the chain pull stalemates, alerts need to go up again(60% and 75% might be the right numbers then. I would reintroduce some of the old alerts on top of that...just make them really rare...like one/day).
  5. ChunkyButFunky

Raising the price does not fix anything in the long run, Pacster3. This only forces people to wait a couple minutes longer before they can pull another vehicle. Without acquisition timers, SOE should seriously consider implementing what they were considering from their road map for resource revamp phase 1: "Vehicle maintenance costs, which reduce income and maximum reserves while vehicles are active"
    • Up x 1
  6. FBVanu

Said this on another thread: If you really want to decrease the number of MAXs or vehicles, there has to be a cool down time, regardless of resources.

A cool down time AFTER the item was destroyed.. NOT after it was pulled.

I.E.: Lets say it takes the nanites some time to reproduce a new Sunderer/MAX.. it has to be "manufactured".. that takes time.
    This 'cool down' or 'manufacture time' should NOT be able to be shortened by certs or station cash.. just because you have more nanites does not make it go faster.. kind of like pouring a gallon of water through a straw.. just because you have more gallons, does not make the water flow faster through the same straw.

That means, regardless of the number of resources, if you abandon your vehicle, or get your vehicle / MAX destroyed , you HAVE TO WAIT for a new one to be created.. (of the same class).. Here is an idea for the time it should take.

Flash 3 minutes
    Harasser 4 - 5 minutes
    Lightning 5 - 6 minutes
    Sunderer 7 - 8 minutes
    MBT 8 - 12 minutes
    MAX 8 - 12 minutes

ESF 4 - 5 minutes
    Galaxy 5 - 7 minutes
    Liberator 6 - 8 minutes

Feel free to dissect and discuss the length of time based on DPS output power potential.

However, this does not stop you from pulling a different vehicle, if you have the resources for it, just like it did before this change.
    You can pull a MAX, get blown up, immediately pull an ESF.. get blown away after 8 minutes, now you can pull another MAX.. etc.. Just like before.

But this should prevent the same MAX/vehicle spam from never ending. You may have your MBT destroyed, now you can pull a Lightning, but at least THAT MBT is not coming back for at least another 8 (or maybe 12) minutes.. and in battle, those 8 or 12 minutes are a very looong time..
  7. volth

Please give us our old resource system back. This new system dosnt work with the merged servers, it didnt work with the servers before merg too, but now its worse then ever.

If you shall have instant vehicles and maxes your game need to render all players. It isnt fun to spawn and then attack someone 1vs1 and then the game sudenly render 5 more soldiers. Or when your tank take 1 hit and it explode from it because it got 20 more hits the same time, but PS2 didnt render them.

Nerf benefits for owning a continent too, it isnt fun to fight infinite vehicles, airforce or maxes. -10% cost was enought.
    And if you dont want to do anything of the things above you need to buff all AV and AA weapons.
    The nerf did work when vehicles had timers but now we have weak AV and AA weapons and big Zergs of vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  8. Cest7

Max nanite cost change is good.

Whack-A-Mole continent locking is an awesome description. Connery Last night had 2 continent locking alerts going at all times untill VS locked 3 continent. Have pop? -> Win alert, Next continent. Wash rinse repeat. Although not bad by design, the continent lock alerts are overwhelming the alert queue. When was the last time you saw a Biolab, Amp station, Tech plant or Full continent conquest Alerts?

I have 3 suggestions regarding the resource system. First, the amount of nanites received in enemy territory should be drastically reduced. I'd like to see none, but I doubt this will be the case. Enough that spawning a MBT and rushing into enemy territory would seriously deplete your nanites, but waiting defending 2-5 minutes in allied territory would recoup the cost (~450).

The amount of nanites received should lower depending on your distance from the warpgate. If you are directly connected to the warpgate you would gain full nanites, but for each base that is further from away you would gain ~5-10% less. This would diminish around 50%, meaning if you were all the way across the map you would gain 1/2 the resources of your buddies AFK in the warpgate.

Another avenue to go about this would be to just increase the nanite tick rate instead of changing the actual ammount. Warpgate ticks every minute, 4 miles out ticks every 2 minutes. Currently I think the one minute tickrate is too fast.
  9. GoldstarIV

Success in the game is still too dependent on population numbers. I would like to see resource gains either cut or vehicle acquisition amounts greatly increased ALSO I would like to see some kind of value placed on an infantry life.

I get that Vehicles and Max's are supposed to be 'finite resources, but I also feel that there should be a cost to infantry lives as well. Headbutting bullets and rockets trying to overrun a position mindlessly throwing bodies at a point is futile and it gives no incentive to take care of your soldier as you would a tank or Max..

If it cost you say *edited* 10-20 nanintes to spawn inside ANY contested Hex, then perhaps a little more care would be taken and greater strategic value considered when attacking / defending. (ps. You should be able to spawn in any non-contested hex for free as usual, just ones with the little explosion circles would cost you)

(also: this would allow infantry to actually defeat infantry to a point where casualties are an actuality and not a minor inconvenience!)
  10. Peg

What was the spawn timer in PS1? I can't remember if it was a blanket 10 minutes or a bit longer? That seemed to work.

Costing nanites (from a base silo) every time a soldies spawns into a base is a way of giving infantry a value or cost.
    • Up x 1
  11. Fenrisk

450 for a max when it's easy to drop them in 2 rockets? or a C4 or 2? Soloing a max with a heavy or LA is a slice of cake. (this coming from a TR player who encounters the OP scatmax spam) Forumwhineside wins again.

I don't even pull a max unless I have a lot of engy/medic support and I'm targeting the BIGGER threats of aircraft and tanks. Lets not mention that TR max's are the worst of the 3 for anti-infantry. You know what I use most of my resources on? Mines, AI mines and C4 as they are needed for taking out enemy tanks/sunderers in positions no max could ever hope to get too.

Can we get another nerf to the Striker while we are at it so that this update is complete. I noticed how at SOE live no one really played TR. I wonder why that is lol

I will likely get flamed for this but the only max worth 450 resources is the NC one. The rest are only worth 350.
  12. Takara

I would like to see an alert that targets only two empires...for example....NC get an aleart to catch Mulac tech plant from the TR..(just an example!) It would be cool to see more of these small alerts that throw certs/exp at you. Well the capture continent Alerts are a bit more rare but pop up at random times.
  13. Zagareth

I'm wondering why MAXes aint allowed to be spammed same as ESFs, Sunderer, Harrassers or Lightnings - now they have the same costs as Galaxies, Liberators and MBTs, but are by far not even close to be worth and effective as these (of course fully manned).
    Personally "I find your effort lacking!"
  14. REZistance

Personally I like the increased vehicle numbers because I have a lot of fun destroying them. Nothing wrong with a target rich environment. What I've noticed is there is a very vocal infantry-centric contingent that gets bent out of shape when there is something that threatens their ability to be Uber Rambo and go on 20+ kill streaks. It would be a shame if this game, which I understood to be a combined arms game with BIG battles on huge maps, turns into just another infantry game. People just redeploy, redeploy, redeploy to all corners of the map in a blink of an eye and the game ends up being, in essence, 40 vs. 40 on small maps. Whoopdie-doo. The endless nerfing and tireless obsession with everything being laser-beam balanced leads to mundane gameplay. I've never played a game that had so many simultaneous kills (two players shooting at each other and they both kill each other/die at the same time). One should learn to accept that there are (well, there should be but in this game increasingly not) things on the battlefield that are extremely deadly to you as a foot soldier. I mean we're talking about tanks and aircraft here.. how plausible is it that you can suck up a direct hit from a freaking tank shell or ordinance shot from aircraft and just keep on chooglin? You can't expect to be able to kill/survive everything all by your lonesome.

People ***** about 'zerg' and being trapped in spawn, but what's really happening is coordination. You should try to coordinate as well because 'zergs' are not hard to break. This is a team game and it is all about who has the numbers in any given territory and who is coordinating better. Instead of sitting in spawn complaining about all of the vehicles that have you surrounded, coordinate with your team, spawn at the next closest territory, build your own counter-zerg, attack their weak points which will weaken their grip on your spawn room, have guys inside the spawn room break out etc. etc. It is possible, it takes communication and teamwork, not endless nerfs. Yes, balancing is important but at some point you go overboard. I really feel sorry for the devs having to deal with clowns screaming 'their pistol does 10 more damage per shot ZOMG THIS GAME IS ****E'.

-grilledchz (Connery VS)
  15. maxkeiser

Please bring back the old 2hr territorial conquest alerts.

The new alerts are just meaningless now. Even die-hards like me (I used to love the old alerts and always played them to the full) just shrug their shoulders at the new ones.

There were 3 alerts concurrently on Miller last night. I just messed around at an amp station for a bit. The outfit did very little. Then I logged off.
  16. Gleerok

Go play COD if you don't want vehicles.

Planet Side 2 = Combined Arms

Thats the whole point of the game, to have vehicles AND infantry. But some just want to push infantry-only all over it.
  17. Noktaj

Can we have the old alerts back instead of these "adversarial" alerts that are virtually impossible to win during prime time?

- they are psychologically not rewarding if you are not the faction that starts them (you know you can't win by 50% in 1h during prime time so you can only aim for a draw, which is not a win)
    - they are psychologically not rewarding when your faction starts them (because you are getting zerged by 2 factions teaming up against you)

Old continental alerts where rewarding because at the end of the 2h THE ONE FACTION WITH THE MOST TERRITORY % would have won.
    Now with a pre-dertermined treshold they are simply not fun.

Random alerts were considered a "big event" and people were actually putting effort in winning them.
    Now when I see and alert somewhere my reaction is "oh, another alert? bah I'll stick to indarside to farm kills for my directives"

Please, bring back the old alerts.
  18. Colt556

I'd play a classic server. I like some of the changes that've happened post-launch but I really think beta did so much more right than what we currently have, especially in the vehicle vs infantry dynamic.
    • Up x 1
  19. Bernardes

In my opinion the new system is cool, but the old one is cool too.

I play in ESV and MAX, but my life in the game is harder after the implementation of this new system, as there are so many AA and other vehicles after it. Even killing less now a days I prefer this system as I don’t have to wait to play in the way I prefer.

Well, this game is about combined operations, huge territory size and team work… Infantry has to TEAM WORK to succeed.
    I also think the game is very balanced as infantry can have infantry vs. infantry fights inside the buildings.
    SOE please don’t ‘Counter Strike’ or “Call of Duty” this wonderful game as I see some people are complaining.

So, everything is fine to me…
  20. maxkeiser

BRING BACK THE OLD ALERTS.

Also, 1hr is FAR too short. No time for preparation or tactics.