Upcoming adjustments to Air vs Ground balance

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Dec 5, 2012.

1. TheEvilBlight

Found the smedders quote on his twitter.

John Smedley@j_smedley
    @Swiftysquaddie @cdlhamma not to worry. This stuff is balanced. I'm a pilot myself.

No frequency was implied, so I retract that statement.
  2. Klaatu

Flak and Walker buff was needed. Should roll with that to see how things fair out and get more data before throwing the kitchen sink at Air.

I have respect for Higby's creative direction, but I find his sense for balance simply lacking.
  3. xen3000

Quit whining and use the AI nose gun on infantry if you still want to farm kills, or get in a liberator and wreck $hit even more.
  4. Whiteagle

Perhaps they are all using Burster MAXes, the only Ground AA that seems to be working effectively?
    Yeah, as I've said earlier in this thread, I'm hoping they are looking at boosting the Flak weapons individually since Bursters are the only one that actually felt effective.
    Dude, you have what, 6 MAXes on that mesa, at least four of which are armed with Duel Bursters, with the rest of the squad filled out with Engineers and Heavy Assaults?
    That's nice if you have enough people with AA MAXes, but I bought a Skyguard because I LIKE the Lightning and I want it to have a use...
    I have, but the method I did it in has me convinced that the lack of effective Flak is BAD THING for this game...
    [IMG]
    The NC are in AA Phalanxes by the way, while I'm in the red Spear AT Phalanx Cannon...

And that wasn't a lucky hit or anything, that was a Rocket Podder trying to camp the Indar TR Warpgate who I was able to land two or three shots on.
  5. SemiLethal

*RAWKITPAUDS!*

-lolz!
  6. omega4

I'm even more concerned that Higby would go say that aircraft v. ground is unabalanced while SMEDLEY says it's balanced.

I agree with Smedley.

I just finished playing a round of PS2. AA turrets were blazing away and lighting up the night skies with their tracers. Aircraft where scrambling for cover and trying to avoid the AA tracers while breaking locks of other fighters and AA RPGs.

There was no "hovering in place dominating infantry" going on at all. Aircraft were on the defensive.

And yet Higby wants to change the aircraft v. ground balance with the upcoming gameplay changes?

Unbelievable.
  7. TheEvilBlight

I'ved noticed air pwnage tends to happen in terrain between bases. Proximity to base gives more infantry cover, defensive works and turrets. In the open, it's just a poorly concealed sundy and lines of tanks and sprinting infantry.
  8. omega4

It sounds like you're equating "effectively" to getting kills.

What the PS2 developers SHOULD do is give out XPs (lots of them) for driving off and damaging aircraft with ANY AA fire, while leaving the aircraft v. ground balance as it currently stands.

Sometimes I think I should get into game design. This is really such simple stuff.

Regrettably, the game industry can't match my compensation levels or else I would show these "designers" how to really design a game to incentivize combined arms tactics and have a great aircraft v. ground balance.
    • Up x 1
  9. SemperFi

Do not remove the ability of A2G launchers to dumbfire, theres way too much ground targets than Air Targets w/o its dumbfire theres no reason to use it anymore because we will have more ground targets than air targets.
    • Up x 2
  10. TheEvilBlight

Game would be rather interesting if xp was damage instead of kill-based. It would encourage more suicidal behavior, for starters...

Edit: Full twitter convo re the new AA changes from Smedders:

John Smedley@j_smedley
    New weapons coming Thursday. Next week awesome new anti vehicle ( including anti air you rocket pod haters) weapon
    Details

[IMG]Hamma@CDLHamma
    @j_smedley man, there is already an excess of AA :(
    Details
    [IMG]Matt swift@Swiftysquaddie
    @CDLHamma @j_smedley indeed, we have enough issues as is staying in the air with the near constant lock ons
    Details

Follow
    [IMG]John Smedley@j_smedley

@Swiftysquaddie @cdlhamma not to worry. This stuff is balanced. I'm a pilot myself.

5:36 AM - 5 Dec 12 · Embed this Tweet

[IMG]Hamma@CDLHamma
    @j_smedley @Swiftysquaddie is it more lockon stuff?
    Details
    [IMG]Cedarian Wilson@Mr2Gewd
    @j_smedley @Swiftysquaddie @CDLHamma Speaking of lock-ons, any changes regarding A2A or anything to counter it better?
    Details
    [IMG]Hamma@CDLHamma
    @Mr2Gewd @j_smedley @Swiftysquaddie there are plenty of counters just have to fly smart :D
    Details
    [IMG]Jonathan Gil@JonniTheJuicyJ
    @j_smedley @Swiftysquaddie @CDLHamma Finally I understand why this game is so horribly unbalanced - Smed is a rocket spamming hover noob!
    Details
    [IMG]Rockman@Tarocknet
    @CDLHamma lancer pls!!
    Details
    [IMG]Reaver@Reaver027
    @j_smedley @Swiftysquaddie @CDLHamma so it will be just as useless as the skyguard or the aa turrets?
  11. Excidium

My other concern with these buffs is towards liberators. They suck right now. Yeah sure they are great once you have established air and ground forces in the area. But there will be no ground targets, and as of right now, there are no realistic counters for liberators against ESF. Same goes with galaxies, thats why you rarely see them compared to sunderers.

Flak and all missles need a tracer. BF3 did it right with smoke showing where the anti aa fired from, or bullet tracers from the AA. Right now its anybodies guess where you are getting destroyed from. The trick? fly low and fast with hover stability cert maxed so you can quickly get into a hover and **** mode. Again these buffs only hurt the big air.

Liberators should have more freedom to do strafing runs on attacking bases if their AA cannons are down. As it stands they can't safely go in and do some damage because of their speed, size, low mobility, and you can see it coming from 3km away.

I'll take a 400% increase to flak and small arms fire in exchange for equal draw distances. Then we will see what its like to be destroyed by targets you can't see. Liberator is such a joke. 155mm cannon that can only be shot at ranges of 400m because you can't see your target.
  12. Bloodlet

Good stuff Higby.
  13. TheEvilBlight

Renderside sucks. I think once they get it sorted out that we will see *another* rebalancing of weapons.
  14. SKYeXile

I loled, because that's the way SOE does things right? oh well, should be good having air totally useless until its over buffed again in the next patch.
  15. RockHarder

SoE hasn't got a clue with the balancing; might as well quit now and stop throwing money at these monkeys until they can learn to have a vision and stick to it instead of caving into tears from vocal minorities.

WE DONT WANT THE GAME TO CHANGE EVERY WEEK BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE A CLUE HOW TO BALANCE

Oh, and F2P was soo smart, eh SoE? Gotta get on that bandwagon so now we have tons of idiotic hackers and freindly fire faction switches during sieges - genius metagame.

I'm pretty much done, these idiots don't have a goddamn clue what they are doing. They drive potential payhing customers away with this F2P ******** that attracts the scum of the earth and then balance based on forum whining.
  16. RockHarder

Does Higby even play the game or just surf the forums looking for trash whiners?
  17. Whiteagle

Well more to the point, being ABLE TO kill.

Really, how effective of a "Deterrent" are you if an Aircraft can make their attacks while tanking yours?
    Liberators being able to do it I can understand, but an ESF that's buzzing the Warpgate?
    • Up x 2
  18. Nogrim313

arg great now my galaxy is a 12 seat death trap, the range on the static AA combined with Max's were bad enough now the HA (which is already such an op class on the ground) gets a better launcher with auto lock before 1/10 of people have even unlocked it? in a months time every HA will be down there spamming AA lock ons at the 4-5 people who actually know how to fly? im sorry but i think its a bit early to screwing with end game air v ground balance because new players are whining they don't have all their certs and weapons at level 1

This isn't a 1v1 scenario that air craft will have at least 5-6 of those shooting up at it from a defended point + static AA and Max's

the problem isn't air vs ground its the fighters having ground attack options when they should be air to air, the fighters rocket pods out class ground damage of the liberators and galaxies, fix the real problem address rocket pods and you fix the air to ground balance
  19. Tasp

Well thanks SoE. I've learned my lesson, spending SC in this game is just as stupid as I thought it was going to be. Dropping $7 for a weapon that will be changed, possibly radically (losing Dumb fire ability for example) as patches come out is a brilliant way to get people to spend money in game.
  20. Maximilious

I say everyone that's not pleased with the changes call their bank and do a charge back and tell soe to stop ******* up the game before they even done fixing the huge unbalance (render distance) for air to ground. I haven't played today but if the gameplay is as horrible as everyone is saying I am going to pull all my monies I spend from your pockets.