Unscheduled - Outfit Progression

Discussion in 'Archived Features' started by JGood, Jan 23, 2013.

1. tevi

Id like to see nothing that allows a true advantage over a outfitted BR1 (new player) in anything other than potential organization and cooperation. No damage, defensive or movement bonuses. I do feel this has a viable use just not with direct bonuses. You could however provide a bonus to say resource accumulation or exp and i feel it wouldn't negatively impact game play but it needs to be fairly minor and the progression itself needs to scale so that both small and large outfits have no real advantage to unlock it. Mostly cosmetics is where i feel like this lay.
  2. SirIsaacNeutron

In other words don't try to create game which would be unique blend of MMO elements and FPS. Instead just make sci-fi Battlefield on steroids.

And by MMO I mean deeper strategy and progression not just massively multiplayer online.
  3. Cymoril

What about allowing outfits to "claim" an outpost so they get more XP fighting and defending in the territory?
  4. Sh00rs1gn

Tactical Crayolas
  5. JonboyX

I'd prefer a system that didn't just favour enormous outfits, which your suggestion would support. IMO it'd be better to have caps on what you can 'buy', and an easy and free "re-cert" option once a month (or whatever). Bigger outfits would still get there quicker, but they wouldn't have a permanent advantage over smaller ones.
    • Up x 23
  6. SpartanZero

Outfit Logistics (outfit pool)
    Outfit creation should have a roster cap. 100 members on startup, that is enough for 2 platoons if you have a fully active roster. NOW that said there would be a way to increase the outfit size. This idea is to combat the new outfit, mass zerg recruiting that has happened in PS2 (an plenty of complaints)

Utilizing a % taxation model for acquiring certifications+resources for the outfit itself. This could be a new rank feature, an option available to be set by the leader for w/e ranks they want, as well this can be set to tax either all members or a completely voluntary system. Depending on how the outfit leader/officers wish to operate. Outfit logistic certs could be useful for unlocking/expanding the outfits strength/size, as well allowance of command features for use during operations. A New outfit starts off with a 200 (+/- 50?) member roster cap, with a logistic cert system paying to expand with either additional +platoon strength, or simply +50 members for each unlock.

This is not a hard counter to preventing zergfits from forming entirely, it will slow down the expansion of such outfits, as well allow outfits to maintain a MORE ACTIVE roster, rather than a massive roster that has 1/3 actives. Nor will it prevent larger groups from splintering into smaller outfits under a TS command structure under the same leadership as the previous large outfit. The Outfit Logistics (outfit pool) options reward outfits with more ability to affect the gameflow, have an impact on the global scale as they are more successful strategically, as well outfits that maintain a highly active playerbase will net more rewards.
    Outfits looking to stockpile or unlock features will be more dedicated to maintaining rosters of active players an less likely to zergfill a roster with mostly 2/3 inactive lists. Just as well they will be more inclined to securing an protecting resource territories as many of the outfit pool features will have a considerable cost both in certs an resources.

Contribution of members to the outfit cert pool via a tax% system or through % breakdown based on outfit points accumulated. Will allow an outfit to unlock perks and purchase deployable features. Call down support items, from air strikes, bombardments, supplies, fortifications, mine fields (anti-personnel, vehicle or even air) or any other fancy outfit only ideas.

All these options can be stockpiled, just like consumables an require resources to purchase once unlocked. These options will then be available to Platoon an Squad leaders that purchase the unlocks in their own certification trees.

Outfit Logistics - increases roster size by 50 (?) for each unlock.

Platoon objective markers (These markers will increase CEP gain on set objectives by a % modifier)

Call Downs - Will cost a mix of certs to unlock, an resources to stockpile. There would be cooldown timers for frequency of use, as well a set timer for length of use.
    Call Downs (defense)- Heavy Gun Emplacement (AI/AV/AA) (consumable)
    Call Downs (defense)- Barrier Defense (bubble shield on temporary timer) (consumable)
    Call Downs (defense)- Deployable Minefields (Infantry/Vehicle/Air) (consumable)
    Call Downs (defense)- Deployable Tank Barricade (consumable)

Call Downs (attack) - Orbital Strike (timer CD)
    Call Downs (attack) - Artillery Barrage (AV) (timer CD)
    Call Downs (attack) - Munitions Air burst (AI) (timer CD)

Call Downs (Support) - Supply Crate (acts as AOE vehicle/infantry resupply + equipment terminal for both) (consumable)
    Call Downs (Support) - Health Field (doubles health/increases regen rate) (consumable)
    Call Downs (Support) - EMP Blast
    Call Downs (Support) - Radar Field (100m/200m/300m) (consumable)

This also makes a revamp on the leadership certification system necessary to distinguish players that actively command versus those that just form groups randomly an infrequently.

What is Command Experience (CEP)
    Command Experience or CEP is a second set xp reward system for players who take up positions of squad/platoon lead, doing their best to keep other players organized, run operations, do the logistic work to keep their squads or platoons on target, in the fight an keep them moving. They are the players spending more of their time staring at the map, versus down the sights of their weapons.

Command Experience (CEP) was a reward system that did very well in PS1 it clearly defined the differences between the grunts an the players who were willing to take the selfless mantle of command and could be recognized for it. The Global faction com channel was only available to the highest ranking CR4 and CR5s (Command Ranks of which there were 1 to 5).

Why have Command Experience?
    Having leadership skills/options purchased through XP gained certs is simply a poor reward system. There's little to no incentive for actual leaders to step up. Yes there are plenty of vets or players that enjoy doing this, there is no reward/minimal tools for them in doing this. Adding CEP will minimize early abuse of command systems that are currently open to ANYONE (anytroll).

Currently the system has no defined reward system for those that want to command nor an incentive for new players to step up an take role as a leader. The common pool cert gain is allowing an promoting irresponsible players access to features they have no intention of using with proper strategic purpose or insight, for the most part access to GLOBAL faction is showing more TROLL/Ethug commentary use rather than strategic (maybe not the case on Waterson, but I've noticed it on a few other servers).

Gaining CEP xp for CommandCerts only occurs from successfully taking objectives (either territory or objectives like CP/Gen/SCU's). A squad leader/platoon commander who uses objective marker to designate attack priorities an members of their group are present once it is taken.. he will gain a % of that cap as command certs. These command certs are spent on command skills/options.

Squad Leadership
    Remains just as it currently is, but no longer can be unlocked with common pool certs, requires active gains via leading successful squads.
    Calldowns (limited types)

Platoon Command (only command certifications can be used to purchase with)
    Platoon beacon - Gives the platoon commander a spawn beacon that will allow all platoon members to lock on an hot drop to.
    Platoon objective markers (Alpha/Bravo/Charlie/Delta markers)
    Platoon Priority Markers (Attack/Defense)
    Platoon Markers (additional markers)
    Platoon reinforcement markers
    Calldowns (frequency of use, types = defensive/attack/support)

Just some rough thoughts an ideas?
    • Up x 1
  7. Mpain

I posted this very topic in forum, I add it here now that I see its the future.

The standard skill tree from other games, like WoW, darksiders 2, Deus Ex.

Tier 1: Mostly visable changes, custom camo for players and vehicles (which you need to buy with cert of SC)

Outfit decals, your own special decal same deal as above.

Tier 2: 1 extra round in a mag for any grunt gun up to 3.

Tier 3: Emp blast - local area scan (like PS1)

Tier 4: Deployments: call down a shield wall, guard wall, bunker. (not inside bases or beside building as that would be too OP)
    what this does is make a temp cover for players to ensure longer life span.
    Shield wall could be at rank 1 a 5m straight wall that you can duck behind, it can be destroyed by heavy damage and only last a few min.

Guard wall: same as shield wall execpt for vehicles, tall enough to cover behind but not able to have eg your top gun fire over it.

Bunker: Much like starcraft bunker, a bunker with gun holes and a roof.

All of these deployables should have massive cooldown and costs so you cant spam them. You can only have 1 per outfit. they cannot be placed within xxxx range of eachother.

fx. 1 hour cooldown, 250-750 outfit points to place.

The outfit points will have a max cap of points per day so large outfits can't keep using them.
  8. Cymoril

Why not allow the outfit to "claim" an outpost for a better xp rating for that area as well for defense?
  9. Maksimus

So huge outfits get extra stat bonuses / perks?

As if them being huge isn't a benefit as it already is.

Remember, you do have customers that do not enjoy all-out zergs or huge platoon / outfit raids, and that do enjoy to play in small squads.

Don't screw them over.
    • Up x 1
  10. CommissarCain

Perhaps ratio the points:members to show elites instead of zerg noobs get benefits.
    • Up x 105
  11. Sleaper

When you lead a squad or platoon, you should get Command Rank points.

Again - 1-5 levels should exist and you should be recognised within the outfit by your command level.

When you are in a squad and someone just "leaves" .. rather than some random becomming squad leader - the next highest ranking player (BR and CR) should get control of that squad.
    • Up x 1
  12. LLancaster

Ehhhhhh.... I dunno. There doesn't really seem to be much you can do with this that wouldn't affect gameplay. Maybe unlockable cosmetic items for the entire outfit for specific vehicles or classes. Anything that affected gameplay could be abused by large outfits as they would gain ranks the fastest.

Otherwise, give outfits the tools needed to organize and leave it at that.
    • Up x 1
  13. Sparks

No to anything combat related.
    Outfit uniforms for infantry and color schemes + decals for certain vehicles then sure I'm all for it.
    • Up x 1
  14. DJStacy

What about the idea above where the exp earned could be divided by the total members to give you a score/per person. Then use this in a way to lvl the outfit,that way the playing field would be level for all.
    • Up x 2
  15. lunate

Special perk and stuffs you can do when rolling with an outfit bigger than a platoon
    Experience for outfit is gain through outfit members 5% of overall exp gain.
    All abilities have to be unlock via leveling of outfit and using certs that are gain through leveling the outfit.

For outfit Leader (commanding officer)
    - ability to place outfit beacon everyone in outfit can deploy on it regardless or not whether they are in the same platoon as the leader ( shares a different cd as squad beacon)
    - ability to have a different squad screen instead of seeing the full squad of a platoon, he only sees the squad leaders & platoon leaders (same like platoon column, but instead of alpha,beta,charlie it will be platoon 1 - 4
    - ability to place outfit waypoints on the map so as yhr squads have a better idea what is going on.
    - ability to mass redeploy the entire outfit on a whilsm to warpgate

For outfit leaders (2nd in command)
    - ability to use outfit beacon
    - rally all outfit members within the area of 200m when rallied will gain a buf eithrr 10% resource boast/ exp gain / health regen for 1hr rally cooldown is 23hrs
    - ability to claim amp station / tech plant / bio lab claim territories will give an additional 20% exp & 25% more resources from that territory to outfit members are within the compound

For outfit leaders (3rd in command)
    - ability to claim outposts which will give 20% exp boast
  16. FlayvorOfEvil

Back in Lunia, my guild had a guild shop that would sell cheaper more effective potions or other small convenience items. Perhaps we can buy cheaper grenades from our outfit supplies?
  17. CptFirelord

This is a great idea, just don't let it get out of hand. By that I mean don't give damage boosts, armor/shielding boosts, etc. And make it balanced so that zergfits like The Lolclave, Azure Twilight, and 666th Devil Dogs don't get super maxed-out in a matter of hours due to high pops. Things like the crayon to draw on the map for outfits/squads is good, maybe some experience/resource boosts if there are X amount of outfit members in a squad, etc.
    • Up x 1
  18. Reithan

Non-zerg-based outfit benefits should be vastly more powerful AND cheaper than zerg-based benefits to encourage more tactical play and because have a huge outfit zerg is already a big enough advantage, letting you farm group XP faster as well.

Also, I'd favor more community/cosmetic type upgrades, rather than just member buffs.
  19. EViLMinD

A potential downside to a perk specialization is the outfit leader might not select the path that everyone wants. In my outfit, DVS, we've got people who mostly fly Libs... people who prefer infantry.... tanks... big engagements.... small spec ops stuff... etc etc. Having a more narrow benefits/perk/specialization path would be cool as hell, but my feeling is that it will need to appeal to everyone in the club. You dig?

What if each high ranking member of an outfit had the option to choose what they want to specialize in? That way, members who like a particular style of play can group up with the officers who'll best compliment their playstyle. No one is locked into anything and no one feels the need to leave the outfit so they can go find their ideal match with another outfit.

I'd really explore what's possible here. Having specialized leaders would add a RPG aspect to the game that I think is needed. Sure would make the experience more customizable, more personal.

Management tools are what's needed most, though. Creating squads and platoons needs to be easier and more robust. Supreme commanders of outfits need special powers to direct their platoons and outfits. Platoon/Squad leaders desperately need more navigation tools to make the task of steering troops toward objectives less frustrating and demanding. Individual units need simpler, clearer communication from their leaders so they know where they need to be and what they need to do.

Also... PLs and SLs need a better method of identifying wandering toms. Having to stop playing so I can scan each continent's map and find who in my squad/platoon is off on their own is ANNOYING AS HELL. Kicking teammates is a real choir. Not fun. It's especially sucky when I can't even tell if a player is in Bravo or Delta. The squad colours are too similar.
  20. BarxBaron

Downvoted until I hear that its not combat related............at all.

The only benefits I can think of are maybe specialized broadcasts once a day over command.........or maybe the ability to get uniforms, or even better......bring back the old map writing system!

If it's COMBAT BUFFS....you will raise hell with this change.