Unresponsive map and deployment screen

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by RF404, Jan 10, 2013.

1. RF404

Since I returned from the holidays I've been experiencing some weird performance issue when I'm in the map view or at the deployment screen (which also contains a small map).

Every time I try to open the map view or when I've been killed it takes somewhere between 10-20 seconds to fully load the map view or deployment screen. Each I try to navigate the map in either screen (through zooming or click and drag) or when I try to switch spawn point (since that will zoom the map to the selected spawn area) it displays the same unresponsiveness again; the screen freezes and after 5-15 seconds the command is executed.

And I can't stress enough; this is not one time occurances or some random error that I experience every now and then. It is every single time these screens are opened.

I was hoping it would sort itself out but it is starting to get a little too annoying to have to wait a couple of extra seconds each respawn and not being able to consult the map while in mid flight.

I have been playing for nearly 4 months and I can't remember ever experiencing anything like this before and I haven't had any problems with the maps at all before this.

So does anyone know of any tweaks I could make to so that the map will become less cumbersome to load for the system? Or does anyone know if there was any changes between the 20 Dec and 3 Jan that could explain why I'm suddenly experiencing this change and has anyone else noticed something similar?
  2. TheCuqui

Hello, I was going to post a link to a thread explaining a probable cause, but the forum search tool is useless.

Have a look in your My Pictures and My Videos folder, if it is full of .tmp files (prolly 50000+ in My Pictures), delete all the .tmp files.
    If that's the problem check your Windows user name and the name of My Pictures if you are not using an english version of Windows, the folder names can't contain special characters like accent marks (i.e. Martó is an user name that will make the filepath unusuable, and "mis imágenes" a wrong name for My Pictures due to the á -instead of a), changing the name of My Pictures is easy but changing your Windows user name may require reinstalling Windows. If you don't modify them the bug will appear again in the future.

If you are having this problem please tell us the language of your installed Windows, if your windows user name has special characters, Windows version, etc.

In any other case open a support ticket.
  3. RF404

Ok, thanks, I'll give it a try when I get back home from work :)

The language I've installed in Windows is Swedish and the user name is "Användaren" (so yes, it does contain a special character).
  4. Hydragarium

It would be easier to make a new account - but yes. Windows does not actually rename your user folder if you rename your account.
  5. RF404

Thanks for the fix. I haven't tested how the game runs yet but I found 65 535 temp files in the folder, so I bet it will run a bit smoother now that I've deleted them.