Unparking your CPU to get more performance

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Natir, Nov 26, 2012.

1. TehGuy

2600k here as well, didn't notice much (if any) of an improvement. Further testing showed that my FPS were a bit more stable in huge fights and it doesn't dip below 20 :p
  2. Cuchilain

Still looking for how to unpark in vista.
  3. MrTwizzpops

Well...I never did unpark my CPU in the end but I decided to have a snoop around in my BIOS to see whats shaking and I found out my PC was in POWER SAVING MODE!!!

So I swiftly stuck it in max performance mode and I have started to notice some improvements in the big fights! :)
  4. AviatorMoser

Guys,

Please check in Resource Monitor to see if your cars are actually parked before you start using some software that alters your registry.

As for a Phenom II 965 X4 Black Edition OC to 4.0 GHz, my cores were never parked in the first place. Game still runs like fecal matter in battles.
  5. Natir

Yeah that is why you can search to see if your cores are parked in the first place.
  6. Drunkenhero

Prepare for BSoD's if you listen to the junk about unparking or disabling the page file. Not to mention if you have poor cooling in your case and your processor decides to take a dump.
  7. Warruz

It applies to all CPU's with multiple cores, in fact those with AMD bulldozer processors even have a microsoft hotfix that unparks your cores. You will most likely notice a small FPS increase but in some cases you will get a 5-10 increase.
  8. TeknoBug

I always do tweaks on my systems, but for me trying the core unparking on the i5 and Phenom II's gave practically no improvements, but when it comes to the AMD FX (Bulldozer and Piledriver) it helps quite a bit and perhaps the i3 as well (I've had friends do it on their i3's). Also about the page file, I always set it to a fixed size (eg. 4096-4096), it puts less stress on the HDD and improves some response times rather than letting the system manage the size. Since I run multiple HDD's in my systems, I leave the OS and page file on the first HDD and run games on the second HDD which often reduced microstuttering when the HDD is chugging but these days that's not really an issue if you have just 1 HDD now with SATA 3.
  9. PutteFnask

Microsoft got a patch for this as well if you're using Win 7, it also states that you can't revert this patch:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060/EN-US

However I myself went to the Advanced Power Settings and set the lowest CPU value to 100% and this should achieve the same result.
  10. Rod259

Huge improvement after unparking my cores
    30 plus fps in biodome fights with high population
    Phenom II 965 stock
    XFX 6990
  11. kyxash

Hey guys, i need some help, after running unpark app as admin , searching registry and clicking unpark all, after restarting pc in the resource monitor i still see CPU 1 - 3 - 5 - 7 parked, what should i do? :( I'm getting afraid of this
  12. Irathi

Leave them parked.

Since you say 1-3-5-7 I assume you have a FX-8000 series. Well the game doesn't utilize 8 cores so why should they even be running? The only time you will see a performance gain from un-parking the cores is if the software park cores when they are needed. PS2 prefers anything from 2-3 cores, more than that goes to waste.

When I said does not utilize 8 cores, it meant efficiently. It uses 8 cores, but they are barely active. So if it decides that it might as well just use 4 cores more efficiently and save power on the last 4, then let it do so.

So just leave the whole parking thing alone and don't think more about it.
  13. kyxash

No , actually i have an i7 2670qm and a 7690 m xt gfx , the game sucks in performance with every graphic setting combination, except if i put it on low graphic quality it is playable....
  14. banz

I unparked mine, no framerate difference. if they don't fix the slide show that is this game, i won't ever play again. 20 - 30 fps on my rig in a large fight is unacceptable. I would buy the necessary hardware to get the fps up, but no amount of upgrades fixes it. I have friends with 580's, 660ti, and 670's and they get the same fps as me... bleh

Core i5 @ 4.5 ghz
    Nvidia 560 Ti
    8 Gigs Ram
    Win 7 64
  15. MANBURGERS

that's because the game is CPU limited and the in-game settings aren't the highest the game can be run as far GPU limitations go

the game either needs to be changed to where it can utilize more than 2 processing threads and/or be made far more efficient with the processing threads it can utilize, and/or we just need a faster CPU like Intel's Haswell that should be coming out sometime around June, although I wouldn't expect more than 20% improvement in that regard, and 20% faster than 20-30fps isn't exactly acceptable. So basically we're just waiting on a miracle patch.
  16. TeknoBug

No, from what I've seen and experienced myself with different systems, the Intel i3 and the AMD FX Bulldozer and Piledriver benefits from it the most. It doesn't do much good for modern i5 and i7's nor the AMD Phenom II's however I've seen reports of it working with Athlon II's. I have my Phenom II X6 1090T unparked right now and it seems to behave the same way as it does when it's parked.
  17. BenYeeHua

Yup, this is for CPU that support c1e, c3&c6&c7&c7s.....
  18. ThinkSammich

Or you could just disable power saving mode through your BIOS, gamers should have this set by default anyway...
  19. BenYeeHua

And the overclocker also.
    But we can't doing it with a laptop.
  20. Hydragarium

I completely disagree - Power saving is a must for any serious gamer. All of that wasted electricity adds up to some hefty hardware purchases in the long run.