Unique LA weapons?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Ketobor, May 16, 2013.

1. Ketobor

Could call them "Faction Unique Assault Weapons"

Currently they don't exist, but I feel faction-unique LA weapons, like HA weapons, would be a nice way to flesh out the role. Ideally they would be suited to killing or weakening large numbers of confused or unaware enemies at close range.

What do people think about this?

Something like:

TR: Modified SMG:
    100 Round SMG-style weapon with terrible CoF. Effective at killing large groups without reloading, with a run-and-gun

NC: Light grenade launcher.
    2 Round quick reloading grenade launcher that detonates on impact. Small blast radius with substantial splash damage. Takes 2 direct hits to kill.

Vanu: Lasher Mark 0
    The beta lasher. A short range AoE damaging weapon with reasonably high DPS. Very effective for attacking around corners.
  2. ulceroso

I just want AR. Give me that and I'll be a Happy flying camper.
    Has anyone noticed the Light Assault Bundle? I guess it's just a pack of weapons, but it's a bit strange that it'll be available in 20 weeks...

Edit: Just noticed that the LA Bundle was available some time ago.
  3. Farlion

All I want as TR, is a NC-like carbine with high Damage, slow RoF and accurate.

Or just give me the Razor GD23
    • Up x 3
  4. Dedsquirrl

Garrote for the VS.

Sabre for the NC.

Fishing pole for the TR.
  5. tZonkD

Personally i would prefer something with moderate to low damage, but not so insane bloom when jetpacking. Flying around shooting is great fun. specially against another LA, but the amount of spread the current weps give makes it more of a gamble then aim if you hit or not, even with a shotgun. If thats to much to ask, just give us Assault rifles =)
  6. Ronin Oni

BTW, it's not "Faction Unique" the common term in "Empire Specific" or "ES" for short

we have ES escondaries on MBT's, ESF's refer to the fighters, ESRL for the new rocket launchers, etc

Anyways, I don't really think they need ES LA weapons. Between carbines, SMG's, and Shotguns you're pretty much covered.

AR's and battle rifles would be bad to give them because of their mobility and height advantage.
  7. tZonkD

Possibly, tough infils get cloak, heavies get shields & health, so im not sure the LA mobility perk + a little more range would hurt much. its not like the games saturated with "sniper" LA anyway (even though slug shotty allows it fairly well already). I would love to at least test it; something for the testserver perhaps?
    • Up x 1
  8. Hagestol

I could argue the exact same thing with INFs SMGs and cloak, but they got that and it hasn't caused any major issues yet. I'll wage my left spandex buttflap that LA getting weapons with actual skill requirement would cause the exact same problems (read: none). (And so help me god if another person says "but they're supposed to infiltrate" as an actual argument, knowing that they already have the sniper role as well.)
  9. Ronin Oni

Infiltrators were explicitly exempted from shotguns though due to their alpha strike potential.

Just as LA was explicitly exempted from the Battle Rifle (Engineer and HA got it)

AR's are the big motivator to get players to play medic. Consider Medic the "Medium Assault".

I get it. You love LA and want them to be kings of the battlefield.

Tough nuts mr squirrel
    • Up x 1
  10. Hagestol

Wrong. If you're going to flame, get out of the LA forum please. Our class isn't even close to being kings of the battlefield, that goes to engi and HA without question. We just want versatility and options.

Infiltrators were explicitly exempted from close range weapons outside of sidearms. Not shotguns. Close range weapons.
    Now they got the second best close range weapon and nobody is crying wolf. LA with the second best long range weapon shouldn't be harder to get - they'll get countersniped easily if they stay high up.

You didn't get shotguns. We're not asking for bolt actions.
  11. VogonPoetMaster

We should get tactical knives, OHK :p.
    • Up x 1
  12. vaxx

I am all for AR's. Would give us more options on how to play, and make SOE some bucks at the same time.
  13. Wolfwood82

The term is called whatever the hell we want to call it Ronin.

Oh and EVERYTHING would be bad to give them because of their mobility and height advantage.

1. Infiltrators were geared for sniping, and nothing but sniping. It's only recently that their role has been progressively expanding to include CQC operations.
    2. LA need a role expansion desperately.
    3. Medics always have been and always will be support, not medium assault.
    4. I get it, you love infiltrators and want them to be kings of the battlefield, tough nuts mr squirrel.
  14. Kronic

I don't even see the problem with LA getting ARs. They're better for range than Carbines but not that much better and if he outgunned you with an AR he probably would have outgunned you with a Carbine.
    • Up x 1
  15. Ronin Oni

Well the term most commonly used by players is "Empire Specific" or ES for short

1. No, Infiltrators had full auto sniper rifles for close in work, and in beta they had shotguns. And ever since SMG's were known to be on deck it's been understood Infils would have them.

2. If they need a role, give then a bloody tool. Not a weapon another class already has

3. They have AR's so that they have a combat advantage to tempt good players into playing medic. When I play medic, I don't hide behind a corner holding my med gun the whole time waiting to revive someone right in front of the enemy who killed them. I fight in the combat and use my med tool as a tool to help as we move. It really is more like a medium assault, trading jetpack for medtool and ability to carry AR's. Believe me, having AR's is a great boon for medic, and is the primary reason I enjoy playing the class (and yes, I frackin heal and revive like a effing pro, but I never play pure support. I can do both, but if LA had AR's... I'd have a LOT less incentive to play medic)

4. Actually I only recently started playing Infil more and have a lot more hours as LA. I also play tons of HA, engineer and medic. When I say I play them, I mean I have at least 3-5k certs invested into each.
  16. Ronin Oni

You must not play medic.

AR's are better in every imaginable way to carbines.
  17. Ketobor

Simply not true.

Their lethality when moving and shooting is worse, even ADS.

Anyway, you said that LA getting a weapon other classes get would be bad, as it would damage Medic's uniqueness. You also claim that they would want more utility from a 'tool'. As a combat class though (like HA), their 'Tool' is their weapon. Given this, wouldn't a unique weapon suitable for the role of LA be a good way to grant this utility?

Wouldn't weapons of this sort help achieve that?
  18. Ronin Oni

And just how do these weapons offer some new utility that they don't already have via Carbines (w/ potential for underbarrels), SMG's (including high capacity 60rd SMG's which don't have stupid CoF's), and shotguns (pump, semi, and full auto variants)??

HA gets ROCKET LAUNCHERS. That's their "tool". A dedicated, spammable, AV weapon. Not their LMG. Their LMG is just the appropriate primary weapon for a heavy assault.

I'm not saying that LA couldn't get some ES flavored primaries.... but for starters, frankly the ones proposed seem relatively useless... and it''s not like I have any better ideas or heard any... so given the lack of a good idea... I'm apt to say that the current weapons are perfectly fine and viable (which they are)

And yes, carbines are better for fire on the move... which fits with LA's whole mobility spiel. Combat Medics really are like a Medium Assault. Their weapon fits nicely between carbines lightness, and LMG's heaviness. They also carry C4 (damn right I carry 2 C4 as medic).

Anyways, I'm all for enhancing LA's.... however:
    1) ES primaries are likely to only be good for 1, maybe 2 factions. Additionally, they need to have some purpose not already provided through 3 entire weapon types already available, while being unique and balanced with each other.

2) A Tool slot would be a far better and more significant enhancement to the class. So far the only good idea I've seen listed on the forums (Myself and many others all posted our own Idea on it... I don't think anyone can claim credit) was for deployable jump pads or lifts. I haven't seen any other ideas that were really worth while or not stepping on another classes role (most often Infiltrator).

If people have good ideas, I most certainly do support them.

This is not one of those cases.
  19. Ketobor

Fair enough.
    -Some counterpoints.

A tool slot is an interesting idea, but it would need to fit into the concept of a 'flanker'. A jump-pad does not fit this well and is too easily exploitable. It will never be put in(it also fits the role of engineer better). Maybe some sort of teleporter beacon would work, but that would require a huge amount of additional work to get put in. I am not seeing it as unrealistic.

On the role of 'Flanker' you want tools that allow your all to move to your position (not from it), the ability to clear or damage large groups at short range, the ability to disable enemy defenses, and other similar additions. If you are going to add a tool here it needs to be suited towards these ideas.

You claim that they need no assistance here, but here is where I disagree. The core theme here is 'splash damage at short range'. The ability to weaken and damage large groups, and finish off multiple enemies under ideal conditions. The goal is to have something that scales with the number of enemies you are facing. You can't have large splash radius' because that becomes too degenerate. You therefore have to bring the lethality up to a short range weapon designed for skirmishing.

Can other weapons fill this role? Yes. You can say LMGs fill the role of a CQC weapon aswell. What matters is the extent to which this is true.

The TR idea was admittedly weak. I will concede. You could cop-out and make it a 3-round variant of the NC grenade launcher (but still capable of killing in 2 shots), which might fill this role better.

If you ever played with beta lasher you will understand the role this could fill for a LA and why it would help them achieve their jobs better. If you have not, I will probably need to be at this a bit longer.
  20. Ronin Oni

The lift/jump pad would be to allow teammates to go over walls with you. It'd need to be time restricted to prevent permanent fixtures but allow a wave of troops to move with you. It should cost resources, and also be destructable. There are pros and cons to both lift and jump-pad ideas. The reason it goes better with LA is that it keeps LA relevant for actually needing to flank and have mobility. Engineers already do SOOO much.... and they're still getting a deployable shield and AA turret. That's why I think it'd go better on LA

And maybe they should just add an NS 'nade launcher... PS1 had one (called the Thumper), and they could limit it to LA only who would make the bet use of it while also limiting how many players can use it in field (and giving LA's something unique besides JJs).

This would solve balance issues between the mini-PPA, 2rd GL, and 3rd GL.

It's primary limitation would be ammo capacity of course... not having a Carbine to use for killing, limited nades, and a pistol.

It should have more splash radius than underbarrel launchers to serve the AoE purpose, while having much lower direct damage to prevent OHK's (make it drop shields + 1-2 bars of health with direct hits.... splash should do 25-75% shield damage depending on distance from blast... 1-3m doing 375-250-125 damage at each meter increment. 3-4 round clip with 15-24 capacity... balance testing would determine proper values.