[Guide] Underbarrel Smoke Grenade Launchers useful for Engi's?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Wrel, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Wrel Developer

Talks about Smoke Grenades, but also the Underbarrel attachment that Engineers can use as well.

Let me know what you think!
    Thanks folks.
    • Up x 5
  2. RichTheMad

Great smoke guide!

Note that for engineers, a smoke screen can help mask your approach for an AT mine suicide run on deployed sundies or artillery tanks.
  3. Compass

I plan to just smoke enemy Sunderers repeatedly to cause mass confusion and performance drop. Is that appropriate?
  4. Ghostfox

The only issue is that people on low settings apparently only see a grey ball ~2m wide.
  5. pnkdth

I'd stay away from the infinite smoke trick. SOE tend to be very unforgiving when it comes to players intentionally using glitches to their advantage, and do not shy away from punishing people retroactively.

Other than that, great and informative video.
  6. Replay

the infinite grenades not working is due to a bug since beta, basically any weapon only refills to about 99% when using ammo packs. With things with only 2 rounds you notice quickly.
  7. Arcanum

And OPNV scopers will probably just ignore your smoke anyway.
  8. iWarsaw

Smoke grenades are incredibly effective. The pure size of the smoke screen is awesome. One man can cover an entire tower, or field in smoke. The problem is getting people to use it. I really hate how no one uses the stuff that does help because it wont get them kills. People complain about the game its self when it comes down to the players not wanting to utilize what they have to its efficiency. Smoke grenades so far have been the best thing I've unlocked in the game.
    • Up x 1
  9. irishroy

players with low graphicsettings won't use smokenades, bause the smoke lasts there for 1-2,5 sec.....

and yep, smokenades don't get you closer to kills. and kills is what matters in this game, because of the low cert-gainthingy....
  10. Compass

Smoke grenade rushing a Sundy with mines? :eek:
    • Up x 1
  11. Wrel Developer

Smoke Grenades do nothing 'but' get me kills, at least on a Light Assault. As an Engineer, they're admittedly less useful for you as an individual.
  12. irishroy

but smokenades don't kill people.
    yeah, maybe they're kind a useful for hiding and staying undetected.
    but now in PS2, everybody wants to earn as much certs as possible. and you get no certs for helping your team to take cover....
    ^^
  13. Wrel Developer

I was referring to the kills I can get on an LA because of Smoke Grenades. Did you watch the video? Those Drifter runs wouldn't have happened without concealment. There are plenty of offensive uses for smoke. If I had, say, an underbarrel grenade launcher instead, I still wouldn't have come close.
  14. irishroy

did not know that. sry,
    but i mostly play on low seting because of my cpu.
    so smoke doesn't concern me that often^^
  15. Lucidius134

Smoke can be spotted through. It's unfortunate but that's the truth. They should have smokes function like Bad Company 2. You could remove tracers and 3d spotting by going in smoke. I would run smoke nades and smoke my friends tank if he got a tracer. I'de smoke to conceal myself if i've been spotted and conceal movement.

Smoke in this is p. underwhelming because of the spotting thing and also, the grenade launcher breaking after 1 shot.
  16. Compass

Smoke Grenade Launchers are Standard GLs with no splash.

I now use this to deploy a smoke screen to protect my tank while repairing. I also use it on targets I siege with my Prowler to cause mass confusion.

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  17. ScrapyardBob

Organized outfits make heavy use of smoke and IR/NV scopes. A typical push involves putting smoke downrange, then walking forward with IR/NV scopes up. You only run if reloading and you try to stay with squad mates.
  18. CommodoreFrank

It's apparently a glitch that packs don't give you the grenades sometimes, not a glitch that you can get them infinitely. I think the devs should reconsider that, though, or we'll have engis sitting on a hill posing as makeshift artillery with no ammo restrictions.
  19. Arcanum

If you're saying they shouldn't be spammed...
    In the early beta it took like 30 seconds or a minute sitting on ammo to resupply all your HA rockets, apparently one rocket was equivalent to lots of ammo units.

They probably could do that for UBGLs, it's not like they're game-fundamental AV weapons anyway, just a fun farming tool/aid.
  20. pnkdth

Yeah, I just saw Maggie's tweet about the work out being legit and it not being resupplied through ammo packs is a bug.