Under-barrel Shotguns

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DarkStarII, Feb 14, 2016.

1. DarkStarII

Is it just me or are these severely under-rated?
    What's you thoughts on them?
    I personally love having one and use it quite regularly. Sure it's let me down a few times but it wouldn't have been any better if I had a grenade launcher instead.
  2. Pikachu

They are crap. :)
    • Up x 2
  3. Demigan

They are powerful but take too much time and offer too much risk. Often you are just as well off just firing your weapon normally from that distance for the same result, but without the "OMG I missed now I'm screwed" option.

Personally I think that all attachments should have their damage reduced, and be instantly useable without needing to switch to them.
    For instance the Underbarrel shotgun: You are firing your weapon and an enemy gets close, you press a button (X or B, whichever is handiest, can ofcourse easily be remapped), and you'll instantly fire your weapon without interrupting your normal fire (although you get a COF increase). Press X or B again to refill your underbarrel slot.
    This makes it a much better attachment. It might not be able to insta-kill enemies anymore but it allows for a much more fluid use. Think about the underbarrel grenades: You can fire at someone normally, then as they pop behind cover you can damage them with a quick AOE shot. Or when you are engaging a group of people and they happen to get close to each other you can quickly throw in some extra damage.
    • Up x 1
  4. OldMaster80

The underbarrel shotgun might work sometimes but the risk vs reward makes it a poor option. One needs to be very close and have exceptional aim to kill the target.
  5. Jubikus

Its a nice option players with good situational awareness and good aim can make great use of it. For example a good player in a small fight will likely be able to go toe to toe and kill a normal player however if hes wounded and knows there another guy coming the odds of him winning an exchange with how low his health is are low this is where his underbarrel shotgun comes in and he now has a chance to take that guy down with little to no damage sustained and may be able to continue fighting for a while.

Like all things its usefulness greatly depends on the situations you find yourself in. Something like an ESF can be useless in a massive battle near an AMP station because theres a ton of AA however in a small 1-12 battle he can be an unstoppable god.
  6. TomGranger

I love them when holding a point and I know someone will be coming or when rounding a corner that I know someone is waiting for me. I use them with medic. I found you have to play with pump actions to learn how to use them well.
  7. Khallixtus

They are good if you have great awareness and aim. They are also good as a last ditch option, because you just ran out of ammo, and you can hear that dude about to turn into the doorway.

Otherwise, if you do miss with the UB Shottie, you are really screwed. With normal pump shotguns, you hope they don't kill you. With this, if you fail, its pretty much a death sentence.
  8. Taemien

They'd be powerful if they used the tertiary fire mode in options.
    • Up x 1
  9. nehylen

There's one good UBSG on each faction, and that's the directive carbine because LS+UBSG. Otherwise their niche is tenuous, and like other UB attachments they show that either the "S" guns aren't good enough on their own, or that they'd need a separate UB attachment slots to actually stack odds in their favour enough.

I've had a little success at times with them, but it's really more of a gadget at this point.
  10. FieldMarshall

I wish you could bind a seperate fire key to the underbarrel, instead of having to change fire modes.
  11. RocknRoll

I never used them until i got my NC aurax carbine with the UB shotty on it. From that moment on i fell in love with it!
    I'll always switch to it when i run around in tight spaces where i can expect to run right into the enemy around the next corner. This little thingy ends these collisions often very quickly. It is also great if you are being chased by someone after a 1v1 gunfight where you have a sliver of health left. Then its a very feasible tactic to retreat around a corner and switch to the UB. The enemy coming after you, thinking you are easy prey and BAM! .. he's salty.
    I also use it often to clean up these tunnelvision infils along the way. Very convinient, indeed.

I use it almost exclusively on my LA, and he can make good use of it
    • Up x 1
  12. Liewec123

i love having one on my brawler so i can shotgun while i shotgun :D
    on a serious note though, yeah i love the UBSG,
    but if i'm using a weapon with an underbarrel weapon, UBGL wins every time for me,
    long range oneshot wins out against cqc oneshot for my playstyle.

i do love the oneshots from brawler's UBSG though, i use it as an opener, though i know i should use it as a closer :p

iirc it used to work like that, it used to be in the second slot (pistol) and push everything back a slot, i could be imagining it though XD
  13. Taemien

Keybind exists. Its just not attached to the underbarrel.