Unable to launch C:/Program Files/Sony Games/PlanetSide2.exe - 5: Access is denied.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Ranqed500, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Twist

>It says windows cannot access the specified device,path or file

Well, this is the problem. If you can't run that program, than LaunchPad definitely can't do anything with it. This is a Windows level error that LaunchPad can't circumvent by design. The relevant Microsoft help on the subject is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2669244

Something about the settings for that folder, the user who installed it, the drive it is on, or another program controlling it (AV software) has simply locked it. The Microsoft article goes into detail on how to diagnose each (except the AV one). I'll continue to poke through the logs for clues, but this should be your focus - the minute you can run Planetside2.exe yourself, Launchpad should work as well. If there was a setting I could try to change I would, but we've removed LaunchPad completely from the equation and it still fails - something is going on at the Windows level here.

Specifically I would look at this from that Microsoft support page:
    Method 5: Check to see if the file has been blocked by Windows

In some cases the file may be blocked by Windows. Check the properties of the file, there may be a note saying This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer To check for and unblock the file, follow these steps:
    1. Right-click the blocked file and then click Properties.
    2. In the General tab, click Unblock if the option is available.
  2. Unidus

I almost would ask for you to let me connect to your computer with teamviewer but doubt you would.
  3. trued2

Do you by chance have commodo security free of your anti virus? After I tried to start the launcher I found out that the "defense" section of the program blocked the launcher and took ownership of it despite me having an admin account with full rights. This sounds very simmilar to my case. After I found it blocked it I had to change the specific policy settings for "launcher.exe" to "allow". I will post A screen shot when I can but won't be able to until I'm at home, as Im at a friend place now.
  4. Twist

He says he disabled his AV, but it's possible it left the file in a blocked state before he did.
  5. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

Hate to be the hype-man but Twist is right, make sure you've installed PlanetSide 2 into the C:\Users\Public\Installed Games\Sony Online Entertainment\PlanetSide 2\ folder.

This issue stems from not having the permissions to access the right files, and when it's not installed into the correct directory sometimes it turns green.
  6. trued2

On teamviewer... I would try but as i said I am not at home, I do have it on my ipad(wich I'm typing with) it would be much to slow
  7. Ranqed500

Yes, THIS WAS THE PROBLEM!
    I'm a complete fool.

SORRY GUYS!
  8. Ranqed500

TYVM FOR THE SUPPORT GUYS!
  9. Twist

I take back all those bad things you said about me.

Glad it is working, enjoy.
  10. Unidus

I figured he would have tried that after your first post telling him to Twist. Anyways glad to hear you can play now.

"If neither of those work, there is something locking the file, and overwhelmingly what we find is that is either Antivirus or Malware/Firewall software. If you are running any, fully exit it as a test, then try running as Administrator again. If it works, then you need to exempt Planetside2.exe from your AV software monitoring.. "
  11. trued2

You guys might want to get to know commodo security+ it's an awesome security software but in the wrong hand it can wreak havoc on an OS. Not saying that it's wrong for your hands ranqed500. :)
  12. Unidus

That's why I stick with Microsoft Security Essentials and just browse smart. Never had any problems with it and it works well. Norton and all those other bloated AntiVirus software always cause problems.
    • Up x 1