UK Players - "Happily Ever Avatar" Documentary Casting

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by Amnerys, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Amnerys Moderator

UK television production company Back2Back Productions (www.back2back.tv) are currently working on a documentary that explores relationships between MMO players.

The film aims to challenge some of the preconceptions held about virtual gaming, portraying the MMO community in a positive light. The production team have already filmed extensively with couples that first met in universe, who have since gone on to form families in real life.

They are now looking to feature two players who have met in-game and are planning to meet IRL for the first time. At least one player would have to be a UK-resident and the meeting itself would also take place in the UK.

If this applies to you or someone you know and would like to contact the team, please email Ariel.Pintor@back2back.tv. All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
    • Up x 3
  2. Serith6

That sounds interesting! I hope they tell it via their youtube channel when they finished it.
    • Up x 1
  3. zukhov

The British media don't really have much of a handle on video games and they will probably film you with twee music playing in the background and a very patronizing voice over.

Its not BBC, but channel 4 - this is Jon Snow interviewing the excellent Charlie Brooker and might give you a basic insight into their knowledge level.

But don't let me put you off, this could be a great way to get a date!
  4. CuteBeaver

I ended up meeting a guild member years ago (different game). Friends and I living in Ottawa found out he lived in the same city as us. So one night we all went out as a group for bowling. Ricks been a RL friend ever since, probably about 3 years now. Anytime we go places he gets an invite. Hes a key part of our group now. My only advice to female players would be don't meet people alone. Or do so in public places if you must.
    • Up x 1
  5. Skelly

Jon Snow isn't a good representation of British media,he has the same knowledge of videogames as most fathers , not to mention mostly asking question that he preprepared beforehand.
  6. MaxDamage

Do you mean most grandfathers? Most fathers probably know more about gaming than you do.
    Maybe most mums..

My older brother met his current wife in the original Everquest in 1999 or so, and since left the UK to live in the States with her and has been with her for several years now.

I had a brief thing with a girl from the PurePwnage community (also played an extra on the show who was ***** and murdered), but it didn't end great - she only loved me for my "micro".

Remarkably I saw a local girl on a dating site advertise that she played Planetside 2 (remarkable because I live in the English equivalent of Bufftuck-nowhere), however she wasn't my type.
    In fact few ladies on "dating sites" are. It's practically Mumsnet 2.0.

I prefer meeting people in person first, there is still something quite sad about hooking up with people you "met" on the internet.
  7. Lewbio

it's not like it's a taboo. There are plenty of LANs in the uk. I have been to one of the biggest a few times: Multiplay's Insomnia Met plenty of gamers for the first time there.
  8. celem

Interesting stuff! Hope you find a good candidate.

Anecdote:

I was once a clan player in an early MMO (15+ yrs ago) where I made some long-term friends. Some 2 years later I discover that the user BlackHeartIII whom I spend most time with on iRC is the captain of the football team i play for at the university and i've known his real personna almost as long as his digital one. It took us 14 months to notice, chance comment about RL in chat did the trick eventually.

Curiously, after this realisation our real friendship waned slightly, while we remained close online. Perhaps we both preferred the character projected by the other to the actual personality. Fascinating really...who we choose to portray ourselves as.
    • Up x 1
  9. redmamba

one of the most interesting ppl I met was from online gaming.

a still have contacts with a lot of them that I used to play with and against in clan wars,
    yes nights of RTCW and RTCW: ET were epic :D

10. Highway_Star

Wolf: ET was one of my all time favourite games. Great memories.