UI changes are bad

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Nocturnal7x, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Nocturnal7x

Hi,

UI changes look bad. The health and shield bars are ugly, if you are going to keep those uneven ugly glowy bars at least have them regen smoothly, the way they regen now is laggy and jerky. And the centralized hud option is way too cluttered. Please do not implement the UI changes...

What else did you guys notice that was terrible on the test server? (aside biolabs, which are horrendous)
    • Up x 5
  2. Nocturnal7x

Also the ability indicator (overshield, cloak, jumpjets ect) is really hard to see, its too small, can't see it out of the corner of my eye the way I could with the old one. Its bad.

Good news is I get 70-90fps in the biofarm, friggen amazing. Good job with that. Fix the HUD.
    • Up x 1
  3. Pikachu

I don't like change.

I want the old UI back.
    • Up x 3
  4. Flukeman62

or they could just give the option to toggle it from old hud to new hud
    • Up x 2
  5. CanadianSniper

I dont know about you guys, But i love the new look, especially the player bar that pops up after you kill them, nice little touches
    • Up x 3
  6. Revanmug

The new health/shield UI is so damn hard to get correctly. Bar and numbers are often the best design for good reason.
    They are simple and easy to follow with a quick glance. I was almost constantly wondering if I was at full health or not because of how little and transparent they are now.

There is also no way to get a good estimation if a next shot is going you.
  7. iccle

The only things i dislike about the UI changes are the health/shield indicators are no longer discrete blocks that you can count, instead they are smooth gradients which may look nicer, but the meaning/information they are supposed to represent is now lost, ie before you could say i have 5 bars of health left, or that max we are fighting has only 6 bars left go for it, now you can only guesstimate your health/shield.
  8. haldolium

Everything looks better. Though I agree that the Health/Shield bar now is worse to read. Though that could be easily changed in just adjusting the brightness/adding some glowing to it without altering its way better looking design.

Most stuff is vastly improved however. Kill-Info for example.

Come on guys, this now has actual design and style. Before it looked like placeholder visuals.
  9. Vachek

I really like the changes, and just to state the obvious, you don't have to use the new ui.
  10. Sandpants

Yes.

Modern is nice, but this is over done.

Centralized HUD is REALLY bad. The bars are too big and do no have enough opacity, they'll mess people up in firefights.
    Then there are the health bars. SRsly. WHY NOT JUST STRAIGHT LINES? Just regular strips. Why does it have these nonsensical angly bits?

And the flash from when you kill someone. Ok, it's nice that you killed someone, but it isn't that glorious. So you kill someone, and it's like the second coming of jesus.

This isn't power rangers SOE. UI should be nice and clean. With the least animations as possible as well. There is no need for the kill notification to shine the sun in your face, slide from a side, for the pool bars to be so dodgy with nice Lord of the rings writing and the a big fat strip moving up and down, and some weird angly bits on the health bars.
    • Up x 1
  11. Lazaruz

I agree. I really don't like the new shield and health indicators. I wish they had kept the old design and just figured out a way to optimize it, instead of changing it completely. The information given by the bar system was valuable, and now it's gone... :(

In short, less unnecessary bling and more functionality... that's what I expect to see from the UI.
    • Up x 2
  12. Ash87

I kind of like the new UI.

Looked good IMO.
  13. NinjaTurtle

I like the new UI change, looks much more in keeping with the setting of the game. Looks much smoother and overall just nice too look at
  14. Larolyn

Can no longer glance at my hp / shield bars and instantly know how much health I have before I enter an engagement. Do not like. Flashy in place of functionality. I'll take functionality any day over flashy
    • Up x 5
  15. Nocturnal7x

Yep, this would work for me.
  16. Jeslis

This, so much this.
  17. UseTheForc3

I also like the old bars better. The new ones are fancy but hard to read, at least make them thicker or more opaque or something. And of course give the option to use the older ones for those who have become accustomed to them please. If you give more options, you'll have less complaints and more happy customers :)
  18. Phyr

I use centralized HUD. The new bars are too big, or too close to the center.
  19. Fredfred

This is coming from a guy who uses small letters to complain.
  20. DrBobcat

Centralized HUD user here. Not digging the new changes too much. The ability energy and ammunition bars are too wide, too bright, too opaque, and too indistinct. I don't like how the top and bottom edges fade out either. They should be one consistent shade throughout. I can see where they were going with the new design, trying to make the game feel more sci-fi and sleek, but I believe function trumps form when it comes to the UI. Overall: less flash, more substance. I shouldn't be fighting with the game for basic information, nor should be distracted by bright colors and lens flare effects.

I am all for a revamp of the UI, but this needs some tuning.