Tutorial Available - Feedback Here!

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Malorn, May 9, 2013.

1. Ripshaft

Well, I technically got to it after dinner. Went through by making a new character again, got to the shooting part, and was once again unable to damage the target dummies.

Edit: also noticed a new and very interesting bug:

When you check the map after doing the tutorial, it says "tutorial" and has the tutorial/vr map overlaying the map of the cont you're on... though this could also be because it sent me to esamir, which is being worked on currently.
  2. gudman591

Clicking "squad deploy" or insert when in squad, while squad leader is in training area hangs the game a makes you loose character due to inability to log in.
  3. Takoita

That 'third-person-view' button for the drop pod - with the new camera spinning it can be quite disorienting for a newcomer. Also, warn them that the thing is actually steerable.
    • Up x 1
  4. MichaelS

i did 2 runs after the new patch, before there where 3 trys.

1. Custom all high exept shadows and vegatation off
    2. all settings high
    1+2. creating a new char
    1+2 short wait
    1+2 every time ('Q' tutorial work)
    1+2 every time able to reproduce.

http://msdong.de/pics/DxDiag.txt
  5. Loegi

Settings: http://pastebin.com/TQYRta19
    Both via support menu, and via a new character.
    Normal wait time for switching to a continent I guess.
    All three are bugged.
    Yes, every time I tried.
  6. EvilNinjadude

I think we all agree that the tutorial should be split into several Sections.

What sort of sections?

Shooter Basics
    This is already part of the tutorial. Covers the sections on controlling and movement, shooting stuff and identifying objectives. Then tell them to access a terminal, bringing them to

The Class system
    Introduction to all classes including a short section as a MAX. Maybe force them to change to LA and use a jetpack to progress to the next area. Then we have

The Consumables System
    Here, discuss everything from grenades to vehicles. Have the player pull a vehicle and check his resources. Then we come to

The Objective system
    What is the map, how do I use the map, what are facilities and how does capping them work. Include generators, spawns and other stuff. Talk to players about squads and platoons and the teamwork options they present... for lack of bots, you can't do an actual teamwork simulation. Lastly,

The Progression System
    What players will achieve and accomplish, improve and add to their characters and vehicles. Make sure they know all they need to know about XP, certs, and the Depot.

Once we have all of those, the player will know everything there is to know about Planetside 2!
    • Up x 1
  7. Ripshaft

Oh yeah, forgot to mention since I figured it was known, but -

BUG - The floor upon exiting the upward gravlift is flashy [presumably] due to model overlap.

all my settings are med except model detail which is high.
  8. De_Dominator

So this is what I think:
    Most people are quite familiar with FPS basics, so as much as I like finally having this tutorial, it needs to be expanded.
    The most confusing things I found when I first started are base layout, capture mechanics, map layout, functionality and importance of the sunderer. So please put those in as a high priority.
  9. huller

I see you hid another BFR in there (the firing range, walk behind the targets and look up.)

Tutourial is nice, more bases should be like that but there are plenty of other stuffz you can add. Also make sure you give complete coverage of all subjects, the second time I tried it I didn't get any explaination on grief points. there are sme stuff you could've mentioned but otherwise a nice introduction to the game other than "here's your drop pod and your gun, now go.

You could make use of the tutourial to explain some of the structures in PS2, example being a biolab, towers etc, it would also be usefull to show examples of camo, which can sometimes cover the allegiance of a player, various vehicles in the colours of each empire, and perhaps tell a little bit of lore while you are at it (why does this empire fight etc..). Making this a facility in the VR would be nice as well.

overall it is a nice thing to have in the game but most average shooter players already know the stuff that is covered.
  10. Malorn

For those experiencing the target dummies that cannot be damaged with bullets, it would be very helpful if you could go back into the tutorial and do an additional test for us.

If you see the dummies experiencing this issue again, try throwing a grenade at them to kill them. If the grenade kills them: when they respawn do they still have the collision issue? If the grenade doesn't kill them that's good to know also.
  11. Ripshaft

Righto just popped in to test that, dummies are still not registering bullet hits, but I tried using grenades and was able to damage and kill a dummy, who then respawned as a different class, which also had the collision issue.

Edit: also amusing bug/feature - logging out during the tutorial will not interrupt the tutorial dialogue.
  12. Kaska

Still the same problem, throwing a grenade killed the dummy but respawned one was still invulnerable to my bullets. I could damage them with splash damage from my rocket launcher (if I shot at their feet) or proxy mines (they didn't automatically explode, I had to shoot them).
  13. PeanutMF

Although I haven't played the tutorial yet, I would like to mention that any information regarding the map screen would likely be subject to change and so they probably have good reason not to add that yet.

Given how much the capture mechanics change in this game over time (and hopefully, a continental lattice system like PS1 will be made when enough continents are added), listing information regarding the map and overall continent capture progression could quickly become outdated, meaning they might have wasted time on creating that part of the tutorial.
  14. Worph

@Malom:
    Just had some issues too with hit recognition. But I'm relatively sure this has something to do with latency. I usually don#t have the best ping, and specifically not so on the testservers (as european). I think roughly 50% of the hits will recognized, but it takes "forever" (quite a few seconds).
    I tried throwing a grenade and it also took a longer time (2+ seconds) for it to explode than usual, but afterwards the hit recognition was better, or it felt much better at least.
    When typing "/suicide" it took at least 10 seconds for me to die.
    Other than that I noticed nothing unusual.

(THIS, btw, is exactly the reason why the client needs a latency indicator ASAP.)
  15. Loegi

The grenade did damage them, and after I threw better also killed. Though I still wasn't able to shoot them, even after they respawned.

Also, I wasn't able to exit the tutorial for some reason. Both buttons (the one in support, and the one in the top right) didn't work. I was simply able to log out though.
  16. Qvasir

Any news on the target dummy bug?
    Because its still there and I can reproduce it on 2 different PC's...
  17. Backf1re

Just tested the new version from GU12, all the new outside tutorials for tanks, thrust pads etc are fab. But I am still surprised there is no SCU tutorial, including the abbreviations (Spawn Control Unit) nor terminals for an infiltrator to hack.

It would also be nice to have a section for anti-air, perhaps after the thrust pad and before the vehicle terminal. Provide the player with the flak version of the phalanx turret to destroy an ESF.