Tutorial Available - Feedback Here!

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Malorn, May 9, 2013.

1. MichaelS

my gun don't hit any target. I shoot my whole ammo on the targets and changed classes to see if there is a problem. after that i just walk on.
  2. Loegi

Yeah, what these people said. There was just no collision, and my bullets hit the thingy behind it.
  3. ChipMHazard

I agree with the feedback posted so far about the tutorial lacking information about what can be considered the most important parts of Planetside 2.
    My list of feedback.

-The gravity pad VS speech is too long (Don't need to hear how great the technology is). Keep it short like the TR version of said speech. Generally keep everything short and precise as with the TR version.
    -If the player completes a task as soon as said task is presented the tutorial needs to move along as to not force players to listen/read text that they don't want/need to. (For example, when you're told about hipfiring then allow players to complete the kill amount before being told to kill the dummies)

Explain all parts of the UI, HUD
    -Show the virtual training button and explain what the area is about.
    -Show the player the health bar and shield bar and what they mean.
    -Ammunition/grenade count.
    -Special ability energy bar.
    -You could have a short overview of the map, leaving a more detailed explanation for self reading. Show and explain the most important parts of the map; the legend, statistics, filters, warpgate locations (which territory belongs to whom) etc. Keep it short and precise, will be especially important with the new-new lattice system that was teased.
    -XP modifier.
    -Show how to enter a vehicle and change seats. (Have a Sunderer that becomes enterable after compeleting the repair tutorial.)

Explain important gameplay features
    -Short explanation of each vehicle and its role.
    -Resources
    -Cert points and what they are used for; Explain customization.
    -How to overload/secure generators.
    -How to use the engi/medic tool. (Have a damaged vehicle to repair and a fallen soldier to res and heal)
    -Grenade throwing (You don't need to show each grenade type since some things should be left for the player to find out for him/herself)
    -Explain friendly fire and grief points.
    -Squads (playing/communicating with others).
    -Hacking

Might want to have the following NOT be voiced.
    -Explain the map elements: When capture points are contested, friendly or taken by the enemy. Pie chart. Etc.
    -Map icons.
    -Detailed menu explanation: Profile menu, social menu etc.
    -A basic overview of each of the main facilities.
    -Basicly anything that would require information too detailed, or not important enough, to warrant voice over.
  4. xTEExGOWx

along with these map things it would be a good idea to show someone how to change maps in their HUD. i had a friend with a 5 day play time and he thought to look at each map he had to go to a terminal change to Amerish then press M to look if we were on that cont.
  5. Malorn

Was it all of the dummies or just one?
  6. Loegi

I had it on all dummies.
  7. Brusilov

I was playing trough the tutorial and I must say that it was pretty cool :p could be me though but i liked it :) only bug i had was the mini map not showing terrain/buildings.
  8. LordMondando

Slick and for teaching people to use Q alone, it gets a thumbs up for me.

It could go into some other game concepts though, like tank rear armour being weaker or say how to rez or repair things. How to prime gens etc.
    • Up x 1
  9. ChipMHazard

Perhaps the most important thing of all... Malorn, do you know that there's a BFR in there? Better kill it with fire before it starts multiplying:eek:
    No... I'm serious, perform an exterminatus if you have to.
  10. LordMondando

All of them.
  11. Giggily

I wasn't able to shoot any of the targets with regular weapons, but I was able to kill them with AOE. The Lasher/Rocket Launcher both were able to land hits.

Also please design all future bases like that, tia.
  12. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Just went through at the end of testing. Was pretty neat, though the Vanu text and speech were... too long.
    I made an effort to be slow, like a new player, but even then I cut off nearly all orders halfway because I was just there or did X (already).
    Could shoot the dummies.
    After I was done, the next redeploy past dying I had a small square in the middle of the map (not anywhere close to where I dropped and died), and could only spawn somewhere else because the 'support' spawns where outside the area.

And what happens when Indar is full?
    You know, like it always is in prime time, bar an alert somewhere else?
    • Up x 1
  13. Loegi

Still getting the bug that I can't shoot the dummies, so it's consistent.

Also if you activate the timer to go in the tutorial but you're in a vehicle, you just exit the vehicle instead of going to the tutorial. Minor bug I guess.
  14. Malorn

I have been unable to repro the shooting bug, can anyone who has experienced it please provide some extra information?

Specifically:
    * Graphics settings
    * How you entered the tutorial (support menu or new character)
    * Did you have a long wait or a short wait to get into the tutorial?
    * Are all three dummies bugged every time or sometimes is it only one of them?
    * Does this consistently repro for you every time you go to the tutorial or is it intermittent?
  15. Kaska

16. Tormentos

Plenty of folks have already mentioned what lacks in this tutorial, so I won't repeat that. To skip time, I think it would be wise to somehow choose what to cover. For example one menu option or one corridor leading to a tutorial for the basic gameplay, another one for vehicles and aircrafts, one for certs and ressources and one for each class. Like that everyone can learn the specific knowledge one is interested about without being bombarded with useless info. Some already know the basic key configs to move around in shooter, they don't need to get that told again.

From the level design I must say that I liked the narrow and cramped corridors. More of this in bigger bases! This mini flag with the forcefield is a great idea and should be implemented more into base design. Fights room for room sound better than storming through all of them, especially in facilities and their command center, the capture point. Also Amp stations and Tech plants both suffer from having Harasser and Flash units up there at the control point. Quite a nuisance if in the wrong unit type. Such small entrances could restrict that and would make base capturing much more challenging.
    • Up x 1
  17. Ripshaft

Running medium on everything except model quality which was set to high. All 3 dummies were unshootable for me, I figured this was just something that wasn't put in yet. I started the tutorial when I remade my character, there was no wait, will let you know about reproducibility once I try the tutorial again in a bit after I'm done making and eating dinner.
  18. RoyAwesome

I entered the tutorial through the support menu. My character has existed since the start of the PTS.

It was a short wait.

All 3 dummies were bugged

I haven't tried again, i'll do that later.
  19. Seqea

- WASD movement is not introduced
    - Dummies do not have collision on all factions, both ways of starting the tutorial. I was not reporting that, it was kind of obvious.
    - You only get spawn shield explanation if you try to hurry through, but the tutorial does not encourage hurrying (you miss explanations if you hurry). Therefore it is inconsistent and is easy to miss.
    - VANU "welcome initiate!" sounds like "welcome in this s***". I was ... wut?
    - First time I died after the tutorial ended, I got a choice to redeploy into a map that looked like tutorial area map, with no redeploy locations. I could zoom-in/zoom-out it. As soon as I started reporting a bug it switched back to a correct map.
  20. Mastachief

I really like the tutorial.

I does imo need more depth (vehicle stuff) though and also remove the BFR as it only serves to give new players desires for big fecking robots and we don't want more clueless threads.