Tutorial Available - Feedback Here!

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Malorn, May 9, 2013.

1. Sirisian

Didn't know you guys were working on a tutorial. I posted a possible tutorial walkthrough on reddit a few days ago. Other people here have covered the key points. The tutorial needs to be easily designed to update with the game as the UI changes and as weapons and features on the map changes. Having voice over might lock you into some designs which is bad. Might try using automatic text to speech systems.

Don't let people rush past stuff. Keep the explanations detailed, but block a player from proceeding until they listen to it fully. I noticed you can accidentally move forward and it cuts off the explanation.

Speaking of designing the tutorial to scale do it in the real maps without players. Don't create a separate area with rooms. It's unrealistic. Bring them to a tower like in my explanation and create code to limit their motion in an area with foodsteps on the ground since you already have decal support. Showing them how to hack and repair things is much easier in that environment on a real continent with no people. You can also take them to a base to mess with generators and show off flying and driving like I explained in a much easier way that doesn't depend on a static map.
  2. MichaelS

I'll enter the Tutorial and can start it without a problem. but then at the firing range ill be kind of stuck at the hipfire tutorial. well i can just skip this by walking on but that's not what i expect of a tutorial.
    one more thing is the description of the keys in the beginning. up down left right? what is this? i tried the arrow keys and nothing worked ;)
    if this is a tutorial where you tell ppl how to move around you can't assume they know about wasd.

and some words on the german translation.
    the skip tutorial text is missing: ##ui.SkipTutorial
    same thing as in english: hoch runter links rechts is not a key on my keyboard. the closest to that are the arrow keys that don't work.
    why use the word Steuerung for the control key on the couching tutorial, that every german keyboard is labeled with STRG and then go on with the english word shift for running. The German word for that key is Hochstelltaste. Its not that I want to see the word Hochstelltaste in the tutorial, I just want to point out that this is kind of a mixed translation.
    Like on the english one ill be stuck at the hipfire tutorial.
    Last think I encounter is that there is no Löschen key on my keyboard. its the Entf key. if you really want to write the full word use Entfernen.
    • Up x 1
  3. Worph

German keyboard also don't have a "home" button. It's called "Pos1". Guess they would have come around to changing that anyway, though.
    • Up x 1
  4. Kinya

At this point I agree with everything it was written above.
    W,A,S,D keys are used for movement and should be introduced to new player.

Tutorial blocks are overlapping which is annoying.

You need much more info about generators, shields, vehicles, mines, C4,
    Send new player to VR training, ask to try all classes and their special abilites like jump packs, healing, hold breath, shields, so on... Ask them to change weapons and spawn vehicles.
    After all this tell them to use warpgate and choose continent, join squad/ platoon and redeploy to leader.

Overall nice try but some more work is needed :D
    • Up x 1
  5. Duvenel

Yes. This seems like a really obvious thing to me and is something I never quite understood. Why would they auto insert you into a squad when you most likely don't even know what a squad is or what you're meant to do in one. Also communication should be linked in to the squad explanation as they go hand in hand.
  6. cc2001

I enjoyed the tutorial. Excellent job. It seems to cover the very basics well.

Perhaps an option at the end to enter follow-up more advanced tutorials that cover resources/territory, etc?

Do need stuff about the gens etc. Would possibly fit in where you interact with the terminal?
  7. ZoldiK

complete it in 3 min,i play since close beta test,i know everything that you try to teach there,but(also woman speak maybe too quicly,maybe make a button for example press 'e' to skip advice to go another lesson or press 'r' to repeat):
    1)you didnt make tutorial for vehicle terminals!that they are different(and show there examples) in 1 you can spawn flash,sund and harraser,in 2 you can spawn all ground,in 3 all air,in 4 terminal- galaxy,you must teach that people
    also must show example of map and show people where you can spawn all types of vehicles with blinking regions, on small outposts you spawn flash,sundy,harasser
    on medium(towers)-all types except galaxy
    on big galaxy and all another(techplant and amp maybe ,but not in biolab)
    Also on some small you can spawn all types of vehicles like NC arsenal on Amerish,show map in left up corner where redeploy screen is you can choose where to redeploy and there is shown what vehicle you can spawn on that hex)you must explain how to choose hex to spawn vehicle
    2)you must show all classes (not only medic) and teach man with there abilities ,and all weapons they have(for example infil have sniper rifle and can euip smg or another weapon for close combat,ask to use that man,detect device and try to use thet tool man,cloak ask to use it,medic revive/heal all infantry and dont forget to say that he can revive also MAX,but not to heal them,engy give ammo(ALSO dont forget to say that engy can choose there turret press 'B' and change that on ammo!!!) and repair maxes and vehicle,HA have shield and explain what that shiled do,also have got diffrent types of rocket launcers and so on )
    show how to change weapon in load out and choose abilities
    3)also must say people that they can try all weapon and vehicle with all upgrades in VR training zone!!!
    4)also explain that all big facilities have got barracks,where you can spawn vehicle and shields and SCU(on big facilities),show how to destroy them and explain there purpose,to destroing SCU disable enemy ability to spawn on that facility
    5)explain how to enter in a squad
    6)how to change seats in vehicle and how to ask to change seat if another man already use it,also vehicle managment menu explain what it is (page down button),lock seats and so on
    7)show cert tree of infatry and vehicle
    8)explain how people can earn certs,many people that start playing dont understand what it is and how they earn it(say that for every 250 XP points you get 1 cert)
    9)explain how to get resourses that when they press tab there is timer that show when they get anorther portin and how much they get,explain that if territiries didnt have got link with warpgate then they didnt get resources from thet territory
    10)explain all bonuses from big facility(tech plant-can spawn MBT on any territory,but if you havent got any you can still spawn MBT on warpgate)
    11)show people how to ressuply there ground and air vehicle
    12)also explain that in this game are outfits and what it mean(like clans in other games)
    13)explain how to find a fight(explain about enemy/frindly activity on map-show ierarchy
    a)enemies detected 1-12 enemies on hex,b)enemy squads for example 13-30,enemy platoon and platoons)
    that will teach people how to find a fight that they want(small.medium or heavy fight)
    14)also explain about infantry hud(hear is hp,hear your shield that will regenerate,here ammo and grenade and so on) and map hud,and explain about instant action and squad redeploy,also about 'Insert button' when you log in game you can spawn near your squad leader)
    p.s and many otheres things,i'm tired to write)sorry for my english if it's bad
    p.s.s. tutorial what it is ,isnt very good for new players
  8. Rolfski

It's a nice start and it has a nice short length for a first lesson but there definitely need to be more lessons covering topics suggested above. The general goal of this game/ concept of conquering territory should definitely be touched in the first tutorial.
    Some ways to deliver more lessons:
    • After people hit instant action and end the first lesson you could offer them a second lesson after they die in their first contact.
    • Besides these lessons always available in the main menu, you could also make them more interactive/learning-by-doing. Example: First time entering vehicle terminal => offer vehicle lesson plus explanation resources.
    • Mission system
    Other feedback

• Welcoming text should start with a short background story: "Welcome, free soldier of the New Conglomerate, you are here to liberate this planet Auraxium from......etc, etc"
    • Welcoming text doesn't refer to the correct place where you can find the tutorial
    • Movement buttons should be WASD by default
    • Button explanation text should be dynamic, based on personal key bindings
    • The where-to-go markers should be more obvious, use big arrows
    • All text spoken should appear in text boxes
    • The obstacles boxes for explaining jumping should be placed in a way it does not suggest that you could crouch/go prone under them
    • Jump pads should be in there as well.
    • " A successful uplink must be maintained..." is confusing text and should explain better that you need to stay next to the cap point
    • After capturing new players should be directed to a properly modelled spawn room for the spawn room tutorial, not to the shooting range
    • The shooting tutorial should come directly after the movement tutorial
    • The load-out tutorial should not ask you to hit "resupply" and get you out of the load-out menu. You should stay in the load-out menu until tutorial is finished and you hit "equip now" (as medic)
    • The damage bar (when spotting with "Q") is not working correctly. It only shows damage after third shot and is not scaling correctly
    • "Fire your weapon" screen should only pop-up after hipfire/COF explanation has ended, same goes for the other screens/explanations. Pacing of this part of the tutorial is too fast.
    • Abilities should be used in shooting tutorial: throw a grenade, heal dummy, etc.
    • Sunderer/AMS explanation doesn't make sense if people have yet to see their first vehicle screen.
    • There should be a back button if people want to redo/reread parts of the tutorial
    • Redoing the tutorial will glitch you into the ground of the big tutorial building
    • You can only exit out the tutorial by logging
  9. Copasetic

Should spend less time explaining basic movement and shooting controls and more time explaining how to read the map and what the objectives are, as said above.
  10. Puppy

The tutorials uses arrows keys for movement... For new players I highly suggest W, A, S, and D. It's extremely hard to use arrow keys to play this game.
  11. Loegi

I couldn't shoot the people during the weapon tutorial part? No idea if that was intended or anything, but I just walked on and it continued.

It's missing quite a bit about how facilities etc. work though. Like how a generator works, what different shields let through, how the SCU works. I see that this is a problem to make now that they're changing, but it's something that should be in there when it hits live.
  12. disky00

The most glaring omission to me was an explanation of how the map is used. It's really the most important part of the game, and it isn't in there. I'm sure the devs are working on this.
  13. Backf1re

First off, I wish to say well done to SOE for eventually releasing the tutorial, as this game can be very daunting to new comers. However, the tutorial itself feels too basic, it lacks depth and the information people require being tutored about, such as what the shield generators are, SCU functionality and the class specific abilities; notably the hacking feature for infiltrators.

Upon starting, I pretty much skipped the begging. Everyone at leased knows how to move and shoot with PC games, but I understand some do not, so the very first steps are completely necessary. Moving on, I really enjoyed what was explained near the end, the tutorial began to be more relevant, as it demonstrated the teleport tubes, gravity lifts and capture points.

But then it ended so soon, I was astounded that the facility features such as generators and SCUs had been left out. Something so important was not demonstrated, thus how are new players expected to understand how to mount an attack on main bases. I remember on my first few days with this game, the bio-labs where impossible to understand. There was dozens of players all grouped up underneath the dome questioning how to get inside, and I was one of them. It was very confusing and frustrating not knowing how to contribute to the attack.

So the good points;
    • Clear and concise explanations
    • Short and intuitive mini-tasks
    • Solo arena, less distractions
    • Focuses on the basics
    The areas for improvement;
    • More detailed demonstrations on base design
    • Explanations for shields, generators and SCUs
    • How to use your class specific abilities; such as hacking a terminal or base turret
    • How to join squads and platoons
    • Emphasise on the medical applicator and nanite repair tool to encourage teamwork.
    • Provide a mini-task for the above
    • Explain the squad features, beacons and waypoints.
  14. Malorn

What do you mean by this? Was there a problem with your gun or the target dummies?
  15. Tuhljin

A brief concern:

Can this be abused as an escape mechanism? It shouldn't be any more effective at getting you away from conflict than the redeploy button is.
  16. thrikerr

It takes 10 seconds to use it just like everything else.
  17. Tuhljin

Ah, thanks for the info. I can't try it out for myself for a while yet.
  18. notyourbuddy

No worries. They put a 10 second countdown on it.

Yeah I remember that being a particular problem when I first started. Entering a Bio Lab, Tech Plant, or Amp Station and expecting a player to be able to understand what is going on, where to go, etc while a massive certfarm is going down isn't really realistic as there is just no time to properly explore the base.

Possible idea: A game like Natural Selection 2 actually has a "Training" button on its main menu that leads to a list of "Advanced Videos" that are essentially walkthroughs detailing the finer points of the game. If creating interactive tutorials for these bases is too much work SOE could always do some 5-to-10 minute video walkthroughs and make them accessible to view in-game when the player is interested in learning about them.

Call them "How to Capture a Bio Lab", "How to Capture a Tech Plant", "How to Capture an Amp Station" and just have a lone guy walking around an empty base taking the player through the step-by-step instructions from downing the vehicle shields, then vertical/horizontal shields, downing the SCU protective shield, then finally the SCU itself. Show the player the various locations of teleporters, jump pads, and outpost stations. Could also have videos like "Advanced Tech Plant Techniques" showing galaxy drops on the roof or shield diffuser + terminal hacking strategies. Bet even adding some of those community created "Advanced ESF Maneuver" videos would be cool.

Heck, I think they might even have some of these videos already made they just need to make them viewable in-game so new players can easily know about them. Not part of the basic tutorial of course, but rather something players can view at their leisure when they are ready.
  19. Malorn

It's instant if you are in a warpgate, otherwise it functions the same way as redeploy.
  20. RoyAwesome

I experienced the same bug. The dummies had no collision to bullets.