[Suggestion] Trench warfare?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AntDX316, Dec 28, 2022.

1. AntDX316

2. Shadowpikachu

Bruh what the hell.
  3. RRRIV

i dont have a twatter, what did he post?
    • Up x 2
  4. Demigan

I dont have twatter either and with the current screwup at the wheel I dont intend to. What was in it and how relevant is it?

My guess: its part of a movie trench sequence and Ant here thinks that just showing it will have everyone know the exact details of how it will be added into the game instantly.
  5. AuricStarSand

Heh. Well if he posted a movie scene that would have been better.

It was a Ukraine short clip of a snake line skinny trench. A trench that twists around the field like a yo yo's string. For single fire use. With a drone far view of a dead guy laying in the snow at the end of the vid with some helmet blood.

So prayers for that country's turmoil.

Just post Netflix's " All Quiet on the Western Front " to show trench stuff. Not that the movie made me want to play fps game after viewing it for a day, was kinda sad. Speechless.

Altho ultimately I believe games are a solution to war, way for guys to experience mental action, strategy, & skill without hurting each other. So all those stories of people signing for the war, from being bored of living around a small town. Well the future has vr for that & they don't have to register to escape boredom.

Obviously getting drafted isn't apart of that equation. Tho I'm sure most who run the war machine, are old rich people who weren't apart of the gamer wave. & everyone else is a pawn of politics.
    • Up x 1
  6. AuricStarSand

If anything PS2 has taught me that no matter how skilled you get, you're always going to have a blind spot, and that you should avoid a real battlefield at all costs. As you always may easily get shot.

PS2 has taught me only in movies does one guy kill so many and survive & only for overly planned seal or ranger teams where they plan for weeks or months, would you maybe survive rough odds. Tho for a real battlefield where it's not just one special team who planned a mission surprising amateurs. A real battlefield is unorganized more so and has way more moving pieces. So if you're able to be neutral or escape off grid, that'd be better than trying to win a world war. Unless you really believe you want to help the good side.

Still the odds of survival are so against you. I've played PS2 for what 6 years now & If I tried to " survive " just one hour, that'd be unlikely. Tough enough to even survive 10 mins, & sometimes one minute. How is real war any differently. Real soldiers may get to shoot targets and practice, yet they didn't run 100,000 death scenerios as PS2 players have. It is a simulation similar to learning to fly from a flight simulator, it does have some merit. Harasser main, has made me a better real life driver for example.

PS2 you die fast enough with a overshield and being able to take 30 bullets with some rifles, real life you may die from one bullet more likely & yet PS2 you still die fast as heck with a energy shield, real life doesn't have.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't practice to defend your family off grid & situation awareness is key. Yet still a real war would seem like luck, if you survive. & I'm sure many of the most skilled people did die for ww2, while some way lesser skilled people survived.

(As for the previous reply games have some international means of helping nations bridge. South Korea for example. Russia or Chinese gamers having shared entertainment with the world for peace talks. As some streamer once said, the future may have translation software built into the hobby)
  7. AntDX316

There were trench warefares in Call of Duty World at War? It can get good if people rush the upper ground level and push the trenches. Sure, it can get OP with C4 drops and airstrikes if outside but it can get interesting. No area no matter how well defendable can get overrun like in this video but this area of the map was a bad grind to finish that Oshur mission when it first came out.
  8. TR5L4Y3R

... we don´t need WW1 style trenchwarfare meatgrinding in PS2 ..

what we need is contruction to actualy support latticebases, as such decrease no buildzones significantly ... by a 3rd at least
  9. Demigan

I think the idea of trenches itself isnt a big problem. In fact it could solve a problem: vehicles utterly dominating infantry outside bases.

If bases had a trench system in its surrounding area for infantry to fight vehicles better from it would help them protect thenselves and stand up to the ludicrous vehicle firepower.
    That does mean the design of the trench needs to be carefully considered. If a vehicle can simply hit the rear of the trench and AOE infantry to death it doesnt make trenches particularly good. It needs to provide cover from HE (cover does not mean immunity), it needs to be hard to spot players in the trench until you get close, it needs to offer a lot of unpredictability in where infantry might pop up and fire at the enemy. Perhaps you could add Trench Terminals that also allow you to buy trench-specific equipment. A partially protected deployable rumble turret that can only be placed near/on the edge of the trench. A generator that creates a shield against AOE (but not projectiles passing through) and that kind of stuff.
  10. AntDX316

yea, I think trench warefare in Planetside 2 would be amazing though. If it can be well thoughout like how Oshur was when it first came out. I don't mean trenches like terrain but like the small snake trenches there.

The game can change so much, anything can feel like a trap such as getting bombared by air but that is what AA is for. Someone can park a tank to shell it from a distance but the deployable shield umbrellas exist. The design can be where there aren't mountains that can shell down on the trench.
  11. TR5L4Y3R

"That does mean the design of the trench needs to be carefully considered" .. right and we can trust DBG to be capable with doing that ... ... ... ... ... ...

i remember back in the HIVE days where walls with repairmodules were indestructible that kinda was like fighting within trenches .. made by players themselfes ..
  12. JibbaJabba

We already have it. There are many spots where rolling terrain allows open field combat with cover. Staying still = relatively safe. Moving forward = exposure to the still entrenched enemy.

But it doesn't result in an experience that is at all similar to WWI trenches. Why? Tanks first and foremost. And then everything else after: fast infantry with medkits and jetpacks and shields and invisibility, long ttk, troop carrying aircraft, bombers etc..

So I think what you're after here is ... a different game.
  13. AntDX316

Nason's Defiance tunnels during a 3-way get interesting but it can usually be the same stalemates.