[Suggestion] Transferring Vehicles Between Continents

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cyridius, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Cyridius

We know this was supposed to be a feature SOE was meant to implement. It was in the original PlanetSide as well. Of course, we know PS2 is not exactly brimming with staff to implement every single idea to its best extent, so, I've come up with a sort of middle-point that could fill the same void in an arguably easier fashion.

Why not make the vehicle cooldowns tracked independently on each continent? I can pull a Mossie on Indar, and after I'm done with Indar I can go to, say, Hossin and repeat.

What this does is provides a band-aide fix to a problem that's been around since Tech Test, namely the problem of us being able to take our vehicles with us through the Warpgate(In case some of you didn't notice, that's what the giant circular thing in the centre of our Warpgates is - a vehicle pad).

So, while we can't do that(yet?), why not make it so our vehicle cooldowns all work independently. Get bored of Indar but don't want to abandon your Scythe? Just spawn a new one on the other side.

We could even create a system wherein people bring their vehicles back to Warpgate, and using an old mechanic that was in PS2 up until relatively recently, they can deconstruct them for resources, go through the Warpgate and pull a new vehicle, effectively completing the vehicle transfer process without adding any new code to the game.

They already have the code in place for a respawn timer for vehicles, except obviously it's the same one for all continents. All SOE needs to do is create a new instance of the timer for each continent, set the parameters so that they all act within the continent area exclusively, and there we go.

And we know they know how to do this because it's already been implemented in regards to the VR Zone, where vehicles have separate cooldowns to the rest of the game.

In the same vein, while this is optional to me, we know the whole deconstruct vehicle for resource refund in warpgate system can work, because something very similar was in place when PS2 first came out; That when you deconn'd your vehicle that you got a resource refund. All we need to do now if make it so it applies within the warpgate only, which we know SOE knows how to do.

Of course, I'm not privy to SOE's code, naturally enough, but if they've done it right, all this could practically be done in a short period of time using code they've already written!
  2. Codex561

It was there at a point in time but removed?
    Anyways it is planned in the road map: Vehicle zionging or something. It starts with vehicle and ends with something with a z...
  3. FateJH

I don't mean to be the negative nelly in the thread for once but SOE couldn't figure out how to easily make sure players weren't in the Warp Gate. That's why they had to "temporarily" disable friendly fire immunity.
  4. Cyridius

Huh, that's a... strange issue.