TR Miller, 39%

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hatamoto, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Hatamoto

Log on, notice 39% TR pop for the 10th day in a row, sighs ... also notice server cant get higher than medium pop, sighs again ... logs off before even entering the game. Had the game also run better performance wise i probably would have had the motivation to press play, but theres just too much Bull with this game atm ...

I could probably also stand getting zerged a while longer if it was in the form of massive (massive) combat, but now we cant even have that so whats even the goddamn point anymore?

And TR Miller, how about playing an alt NC or VS sometime, just a thought ...
    • Up x 2
  2. HellasVagabond

39% global pop means around 60% on Esamir...Welcome to TRside 2 :)
    • Up x 1
  3. Qel

27/42/30 (VS/TR/NC), so pretty much pointless playing anything but TR on Miller these days, thanks a lot fourth faction.
  4. Hatamoto

The last bit of fun just evaporated .. I almost fell for a second Planetside SOE, not quite but almost
  5. LenaQuin

It was during an alert, so TR population will go down as soon as the alert is over.

Before making the population balance even worse with another recommendation system they should first do something about those "oh let´s get some alert xp on our tr alts" winning team joiner.
    • Up x 4
  6. Redzy

Made a TR on Woodman. Enjoyed a balanced (both in population and in performance) Indar Tech Plant alert where we almost capped Hvar from the VS and we only lost the point on the last seconds. It was an absolute blast. I was told the VS dominates there, but in that one circumstance it did not. Also, no trash talk at all and nobody whining about anything at all. Just "good game".

Connect on Miller, 40% TR population that persisted since this morning. An outfit friend of mine told me that early in the morning it was 70%+ for them and that they were on every corner of the map. Oh and alerts have nothing to do with it at this point, it seems.

People know the situation is ********. I'm getting burned out, some others are as well. Some TRs are tired of outzerging, too.

Thing is no TR is obligated to switch sides and you will never find me asking. I'd rather go elsewhere myself than sink to that level. Truth is we lost lots of players to these ongoing population balance issues and TR has nothing to do with it.

Being recommended only made it worse. We got SOME nice new players who are eager to do well and MANY other ones who played for a couple of weeks before they left the game to rot. And I am guessing some of the decent players who came in with being recommended switched to TR or switched servers.

As a VS, we are left with an unsatisfied and bleeding zerg and outfits that have a problem keeping the motivation of their players up as the higher ranks are losing it themselves. Server transfer tokens will make it worse, ironically, so I hope they have the decency to at the very least limit those in any way possible or do a merger to give players less reasons to think a transfer is needed.
    • Up x 1
  7. Qel

As someone who has played NC on Miller since launch I have to say I'm probably pretty close to being burnt out, been trying Woodman myself and had a lot more fun there lately.. just feel like I'm wasting my time on Miller when I log in these days. Lots of other people I play with are saying the same, and playing on other servers more often when they played only one character previously.
    • Up x 1
  8. mblades

Man being underpopulated for me was the best time i had when TR on Briggs for a good 2 months or so struggled to get 25% world population and i enjoyed it immensely even with the VS overpopulation hitting constant 40% or higher (during the introduction of zoe too). Why was it good because any win or draw that happened felt awesome since you didn't have a chance or should not have gotten that outcome.

My incentives during those underpopulated months was to kill more enemies than the enemies trying to kill me sure it is hard since getting spotted is almost a insta-death but doesnt mean i cant try and take out as many rebels or heretics before dying.

Point is if you don't log in because pops are not balanced then you are creating part of the problem since if you dont log in population wont go up therefore others may do the same as you and we end up with factions staying lower since you want fair amount of people/fighting occurring. Honestly i prefer being underpopulated since i get a target rich environment as opposed to yay we got more then them we will surely win.

Right now on briggs population is fairly balanced with nc slightly underpopulated and TR and VS mostly equal recently. But dont give up whether you want to fight for your bonus checks or spandex heresy dont make it easy for your enemies.
  9. Teargas4u

Nah, has nothing to do with prime time of not, log in any time during the day and TR is over populated. So, if you want easy money (certs), be a n00b and follow the TR zerg as they win every event ;)
  10. NiteJazz

Lol pop doesn't mean anything. Mattherson used to be 40% VS, and sometimes still is. Mostly during alerts. Best thing to do is deal with it and fight. If you are good a good player pop really shouldn't matter.
    • Up x 1
  11. Hatamoto

It gets ******* boring after a couple of weeks, especially if the only metagame is the stuff you make up yourself .. atleast one can imagine that gaining ground and facilities actually matters any. Nothing wrong with being the underdog, but only if theres any real chance of doing any real damage to the zerg other than slowing it down. I love covert ops, but the main reason i play this game is for the big battles i cant get in any other game.

And maybe its wrong to ask people to change faction to even out pops, personally i wouldnt create a new character or log into an existing one if its faction is grossly overpopulated. I do want a challenge, just not constant impossible zerg odds.
  12. Redzy

U wot? VS was overpop there even when the infamous TE and BCP were zerging on the server all day and night. When TE left, it only got worse. At least this is what I see whenever I look at the data and this is what Mattherson players regard as the norm.

If you are a good player, playing in a server where you can't find a zone that isn't 65% for the enemy will just make you frustrated when the 5 enemies you kill each life make no difference on the outcome.
    I am glad about this, but ours has been an ongoing problem that started much like yours, but ended up only getting worse. Maybe being recommended works/ed for Briggs where the playerbase is limited to people from a restricted area, but on Miller it created an apparent balance that faded within a couple of weeks when most of the newbies that came in decided getting thrashed wasn't their kinda thing.

Sorry but getting recommended for the weaker factions isn't gonna help it as the new influx will be mostly comprised of beginners who will get disheartened after their first defeat. NC is absolutely atrocious to be part of nowadays and hilariously easy to face, save for the rather excellent pilots Miller NC has.

Also, keep in mind I am speaking with Alerts in mind. Developers and players have chosen them to be the core of PS2 gameplay. If it was only about continent capturing, I would like to add that the last time, Indar was VS. Thing is, cont. captures have been made useless and not a central part of the gameplay anymore by the developers, so we find each other fighting over facilities where obviously higher numbers prevail, not to mention the TR playerbase is more seasoned and experienced as there's no major influx and most of the players have been there for several months.

This isn't being the underdog, this is being rolled on.
  13. LordMondando

Submitted a large peice to the SOECC about this on Sunday.

SOE need to tackle this, overpopulation resulting in one side just dominating due to the fact having more people has no downsides and provides better XP. Is a large threat to the game.

Basic highlight of my peice.
    1) We really need logistics ASAP and it needs to function properly to give the larger force an Achilles heel.
    2) People switching between characters on the same sever at the drop of a hat, needs to go.
    3) Other 'zerg breaking' mechanics may also need to be examined.
    4) Alerts just might need to go.

Miller (and to be fair other servers like woodman) are become case studies in how population imbalance is trashing gameplay. Because more population gives a series of distinct advantages, and no disadvantages.

Perfectly symmetrical populations is just unrealistic, mechanics that make 'you have more guys, more win most of the time' less prevalent are desperately needed.

People are not going to keep playing when they have no chance of winning most of the time.
    • Up x 3
  14. aoyagiaichou

Can you explain that?
  15. LordMondando

When there are enough battles occurring on a daily basis, especially for alerts when its 3 platoons to 5. How engaging an experienced you think that is?

The TR do have a edge in having people in outfits, and a slight edge in overall organisation. A lot of the new NC are kids who frankly you can barely work with.

So really in terms of organised forces, its 2:1 on a good day. Nearly every move we can make, they can check.

Its frustrating as ****.

And offer up the NC and VS a frustrating experience night on night, even less of them play, worse the problem gets.
  16. LordMondando

And before any of this QQ/L2P/there is no problem lololololo masta troll ****. Its at the point where major TR outfits have Nc alts and switch over on mass when its gets to 40%.

Thats how bad it is.
  17. Qel

Sitting in a base/spawn being farmed whenever an alert happens is boring? simple enough? watching all the spineless morons switch to the TR because they are guaranteed victory 95% of the time is depressing, clear enough? It's gotten to the point where even if you fight the numbers are so great you're little more than a speedbump so many people just don't even bother anymore, heck plenty seem to just log to TR.

Even if an effort is made between outfits to fight the alert we're fighting at 110% and we'll still lose because we just won't have the manpower to fight on all the fronts we need whereas the TR can. I'm not saying this is TR players/outfits fault I know some of them are fed up with it too, 4th factioners is what I'm fed up with.

In the last alert VS pop for example dropped from about 32 to 26, NC had a similar drop and TR ended up with something like 45% Indar will usually have all three in 30% figures but Esamir and Amerish will be 40-60% TR. it's a disgrace.
    • Up x 1
  18. asmodraxus

How do we go about creating a situation where by having a large population is detrimental to an empire.

Redesign the resource system so the closer to your own WG the more resources you get?
    Make it so that there is only so many resources per empire to go around so a higher populated empire, the players get less resources = less vehicle spam.
    Dynamic spawn timers, the more players an empire has the longer it takes to respawn?
    Dynamic vehicle timers.

XP gain level plus or minus.

Or some combination of all of the above?

This won't fix the problem for the short term though.
    • Up x 4
  19. Redzy

- Dynamic XP bonuses where only fighting the overpopped faction yields you more XP than average, much more so than now, possibly even introducing a slight negative bonus for whoever chooses to fight a side weaker than theirs (encourages the two weaker factions to focus on the real threat)
    - Respawn timers increase/decrease algorithms that are tied to population difference in percentage from a base 33% (allows slightly more proper defence of territories and response from lower populated factions)
    - After having spent 10 minutes on a certain character, your other characters in the same server are locked for 12 hours (10 minutes is plenty of time to get your beloved passive certs)
    - Vehicle/MAX timers are to be removed apparently, so if that is to happen, there could be a penalty timer for those in a vastly more populated faction in a given continent (mitigates vehicle spamming on the bigger zerg)
    - Passive resources gain could have a shorter interval for lower populated factions and a longer one for more populated factions in that continent (allows smaller factions to more properly defend themselves against a bigger threat)

These are my ideas. They won't solve anything by themselves but some of them could mitigate the problem or a reappearance of it if the problem gets fixed. They encourage people in less crowded factions to fight against the bigger one and they also make it more challenging for the bigger one.
    • Up x 1
  20. Kurohagane

The problem is the TR alts and the viewpoint. There was a amerish territory control alert and me and my outfit buddies wanted to do it because there is a hard cap on faction pop, but everyone just went "meh, TR will win again" and basically no-one helped, moreover a lot of people went over to their TR alts to grab the sure win XP.