[Vehicle] TR MAX/SUNDY Q'S

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LordAnnihilator, Oct 9, 2015.

1. LordAnnihilator

Shut up, the Max counts as a Vehicle, it costs Nanites. :p

I'm currently working on an "Ultimate Build", a MAX setup i want to aim for. I just need to resolve one issue: Charge. According to the Wikia, the last few levels are a bit pants (only reduce by 3 seconds per level). So my MAX question is: to what level of Charge should i aim to bring my MAX?
    For the curious, my preferred cosmetic would be MAX Havoc Helm, Ogre Armour, no Decal (they work horribly with the Armours) and Binary Camo.

With the Sundy, i'm curious. I like the Basilisk's all around approach, but I'm interested in the other guns. So tell me: What are the best gun setups/combos on the Sunderer? Also what are the best AI, AV, and AA individual turrets?
  2. ALN_Isolator

Best TR MAX setups:
    Dual M3RC MERCYs
    Extended mags

MAX rank auto repair

LVL 2-3 charge is worth the certs

For longer range AI/AV:

Dual M3 Pounder HEGs

Auto repair

Charge

Best Sunderer loadout:

Battle/deployable

M40 Fury
    Thermal optics
    Extended mags (upgrade as needed)
    Ammo capacity (upgrade as needed)

M12 Kobalt
    0.5 - 0.75 optics
    Reload speed (upgrade as needed)
    Ammo capacity (upgrade as needed)

GSD for getting into AMP stations/bases with annoying walls and towers to deploy in. Also for getting in with 2 gunners and killing stuff then getting the heck out. (Upgrades are unnecessary)

MAX rank deployment shield (immune to 3 C4 bricks or 4 tank mines before you start taking damage)

MAX rank speed chassis (you will now go 90-110 KPH normally on flat surfaces or down hills)
  3. FateJH

Like with many things, that last level has "devoted to completing this certification" status. Also like with many things, all the preceding ranks taken together are only marginally more expensive than the very last rank. With very little benefit lost by stopping at the penultimate one, spending ~1000 certs to get 80% of the benefit of a ~2000 cert line is never a bad deal as long as you remember that you're only reducing downtime and not output.

If you're fine with a 45s recharge rate for MAX Charge, then don't worry about it at all. Get the lower levels of Charge, if you want, because they feel cheap.
  4. MuggieWara

Uprade Max charge to the second to last level.Trust me,you wont regret it.
  5. LordAnnihilator

So general opinion is, of 5 levels, 3-4 are best to opt for.
    Personally, I like the suppressive power of an MRC3 Mercy and an M2 Mutilator. Flak Armour for easier time surviving what hurts Max's most. Not too much opinion on the Sundy though. Doesn't that set up leave you susceptible to aircraft?
  6. Vortok

Lockdown Pounders are fairly legit.
  7. TheFlamingLemon

[IMG]
    Why puns?

On a more topical note, from what I've heard, the deployment shield doesn't make you immune to 3 c4 or 4 tank mines it makes you immune to less but if they hit at the same time it absorbs all of the damage. So 5 tank mines would do the same damage as 3, taking out the entire deployment shield. I could be wrong but this seems correct from my experience as someone who has put 5 tank mines under the sunderer and not killed it.
  8. CNR4806

There is no objective "best" Sunderer gun, it all depends on what you want to do:
    - Want to mow down infantry or "snipe" them from afar? Get a Kobalt.
    - Want to play air deterrence? Get a Walker.
    - Want to play real anti-air? Get two Walkers at the cost of being hapless against anything else without a convenient slope nearby.
    - Want to play anti-vehicle with experienced gunners? Get a Fury.
    - Want to do everything and/or with newbie/noobs? Stay with the Basilisk.

Mix and match as required. Just don't get the Ranger or the Bulldog unless you're really sure what you're doing.
  9. MikeyGeeMan

My little trick

Dual mercys. Extended mags

Drain half a mag from the right gun. Then shoot both at the same time. And never stop. Throw lockdown in there for shiggles.
  10. Littleman

As someone that frequently hangs back to defend Sunderer's, I can safely say that the grenade launcher guns are easily the least the useful point defense weapons a sunderer can have. Kobalts can rip up infantry, which I consider to be the most common source of a Sunderer's final moments. They're not bad against ESF either, but not great as well. A Sunderer with Basilisks can engage anything, but it's the less effective option against infantry. It can scare lightnings and decimate if both basilisks are in use. MBTs will stick around a bit longer and do some real damage if local infantry don't get it in their heads to either repair the sunderer (killing the moral of the tanker and causing them to give up the fight) or engaging the tank with rockets and MAXes. However, if the sunderer has no real local anti-tank support, no setup will save it when hostile armor starts getting curious.

So generally, I recommend direct AI and AA setups on sunderers for the simple fact that these two sources specialized guns can effectively deter any would-be heroes, and for AI recommend something easier for the average Joe to use (as in, doesn't come with an arc to compensate for) and is flexible enough to engage multiple target types. I've seen entire infantry waves get smashed by a pair of Kobalts when any other sunderer would have been overwhelmed from the push. The sunderer simply doesn't have the firepower to quickly deter armor however, and if multiple tanks are on it, it's hosed.

For MAXes, auto repair is great when you can't count on Engineers. However, if you're smart and follow a set of C4/Rocket avoidance rules (like don't go chasing infantry through door ways or pursue too closely to corners, stay with other infantry, etc.) kinetic armor is invaluable. Reducing incoming damage from bullets is practically doubling your lifespan, and I'm only ever really killed by a barrage of bullets anymore.
  11. JojoTheSlayer

The simple answer is Charge Level 1. If you want to L5 it just because you have the certs, thats fine too...
    As for the general rest in regards to "ultimate" builds.

Weapons: (extended mags is a no brainier on those that have it)
    NC: Extra Scatter or HackSaws if you have a tendency to move the mouse too much when pressing both of the mouse buttons repeatably and use slugs ammo. Ravens for AV. You can also use twin Falcon for infantry support and suppresing enemies while advancing, but its more situational and its valid only because NC does not have long range Max weapons and the Raven kinda sucks towards infantry. The Falcon however can twin hit a inf at the same time and gib him. Which even keeps good players worried, unlike if you have Raven in CQC.

TR: Mercy is obvious. Pounder is decent IF used correctly because of splash.
    The Fracture is situational, similar to Flacon, but with less bullet drop, faster, but weaker projectile.

VS: Blueshift or Nebula for short range. None of them a "true role", but Blueshift is more "TR" and Nebula is more "NC". AV the Comet is good. Its basically a no drop Falcon. Long range I some times get annoyed with the other VS Max AV weapons as NC, but hardly killed so I would argue its not a good option.

NS: Twin AA Flak. If you have more than one character and plan to have this weapon. You should consider using DBC on both the weapon and extended mags. Then it will unlock on all your other characters regardless of faction. AA wise its the best one in the game.

Other:
    Armor wise you only need Flak 5 and Rep 1 (no Eng around), in my view. Flak 5 increases your survivability against C4, but not AT mines and since AT mines are not triggered by infantry. You should consider using ECO hud implant, but here the tier 1 (green) will do and therefor last longer. The run ability is very good, but I would argue you dont technically need it more than level 1 IF you are not planning to create a running oriented build or have the certs to spare. The Empire abilities are all useful in key situations. NC breaching cover wall (Aegis shield), VS breaching ultra fire and it makes the Quasar default weapon valid with its extra damage compared to blue or nebula (Zealot Overdrive) and TR defensive camp, be it at CC or for AA (Lock down).

Look:
    The "heavy" and larger armor is the only no brainier in my view. Then a good looking helmet that is not too "infantry". Just keep in mind that headshots on maxes (extra damage) is a thing in the game so, style vs con... top it of with a fitting OR Outfit Camo.

Here is a image of my "Jason" Riot Max: :p
    [IMG]
  12. ALN_Isolator

It could be that all burst damage is ignored, my sunderer has survived some pretty crazy stuff in the past year. This only adds to the value then.
  13. CNR4806

Oh yes, there's been times and times again I sat on someone else's deployed Sunderer only to find myself utterly unable to do anything, because it's equipped with a Fury/Bulldog and the guy I'm trying to shoot is among a massive crowd of friendlies.

The Kobalt and to a lesser extent the Basilisk are the only acceptable anti-infantry point defense weapons for the Sunderer.
  14. LordAnnihilator

Hmm. So for the Sundy, Walker and Kobalt are looking like a good pair, or dual Kobalts. I'm thinking about what I might buy, so for arguments sake we'll rule out basilisks (they're very good, if a bit slow compared to walkers). The sundys lack of anti-armour probably is to make up for its pluses and encourage teamplay-to be frank, a Sundy with dual Gatekeepers would be too much. Btw I love the gatekeeper, don't own one but it's so damn easy to use! Much better on vehicles than on TR maxes IMO.
  15. Littleman

Sundy shouldn't have to encourage team play, at least when deployed. If your teammates aren't acting like goldfish, they should be all the AV and AI a sundy needs, but they're hardly ever reliable and often oblivious. I make a point to spawn at sunderers as an engineer just to save time just in case. Vanu forbid anyone watch the minimap and the red dot beelining it to the sunderer. Amazing I ever get killed when I'm on the flank, yet I swear I'm playing a single player game going up against veteran level bots 90% of the time.

So yeah, don't build for AV - AV maxes and the sheer number of heavies SHOULD be able to take care of enemy armor sans a whole column shows up. AI though? A good kobalt can easily keep more than a few fairies away and even pummel AV maxes and HA pounding away at the sunderer from a distance. Being recoilless helps.

As a tip, if you're parking near a tower or otherwise expect enemies to often approach or fire from a high angle, walkers are just as good as kobalts for dispatching infantry, and best for dispatching birds. It pays to have both, though I'd prioritize kobalts first simply because of the main threat that can take out a sunderer in the blink of an eye.