TR LA Help with scope

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Norke, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Norke

Hello all! I'm new to the Planetside universe (outside of playing in beta for PS2) and I have now come up with enough certs to get a scope on my weapon. The problem is though that I don't know what is an optimal scope for good LA play.

What is your guys' and gals' opinions?
  2. FieserMoep

Reflex Sight is never a fault though I prefer the 3.4 ones. In the end there is no "best" sight. They cover different ranges and are more and less versatile. It depends on your play style. Do you often fight on a range of 5-15 meters? Reflex might be the go. Longer range? Well maybe another one. At least they just cost 30 certs so I would suggest you to try different ones. Though a sight is not a "priority" unlock on a weapon. Attachments like Forward Grip, High Velocity/Soft Point Ammo or Suppressors are widely considered more important. Other LAs never leave the house without the C4 unlock. So as it seems you are realy new to the game you might not "waste" your first 30 certs on a sight but keep them for a real upgrade.
  3. LongestHorizon

I'd seriously invest in C4 first. One on the most important jobs on the battlefield a LA can do is pester/destroy sunderers. Tanks should be apperoached only unless you have that second piece (makes a world of a difference) or a buddy.

If you're dead-set on a scope, i personally prefer the 3.4x scope as it's a very clear scope with a great "red dot" syle reticule. Most people tend to prefer the reflex, but the 3.4x gives you the ability to see enemies from farther away giving you the ability to perform adequate Overwatch capabilities as an LA (pairs very well with squad leaders).
  4. kersk

I got a sight early on and I think it was worth it. I felt like it increased my kill rate early which feeds back into generating more certs for the other unlocks and I'd rather have a decent sight with normal ammo than stick with the iron sights. Just don't be crazy buying up a ton of different ones. Pick a gun, grab one sight and stick with it. I definitely recommend the reflex or the 3.4 red dot. You can go on youtube and there are some great videos showing all the sights for each faction.
  5. Wildclaw

Spending 200 cert points on C4 early on was the biggest mistake I have done so far. I should never have listened to the forums. Sure, it is occasionally useful, but 200 bloody cert points. Talk about a massive inefficient bull crap waste.

For the same amount of certs you can get Jump Jet Upgrade+Forward Grip+Scope+Adrenaline Pump+Restoration kit and still have some change over. That way you can be useful in every battle instead of in that one battle where no-one else has vehicle destruction abilities.

I mean, with out at least a few jump jet upgrades first, you can't even make good use of C4 for anything but unguarded non-moving targets as you'll be dead before you get to detonate it.
  6. kyre5

I grabbed the 2x reflex sight. The IRNV scope might be helpful too if you want to quickly sweep an area for any enemies (it also highlights cloaked infiltrators too!)
  7. Babylon Rocker

Yeah, all that C4 first talk is BS, 200 points just to drop the occasional Sunderer is simply not worth it and trying to hunt down tanks with a LA is just a bad way to utilizing this class, spot it and leave it to your squadmates, Anti Infantry is where the Light Assaults bread and butter is...

Get some JumpJet upgrades, Weapon attachments, Restoration or Medkit, Adrenaline Pump and you're in for some serious Harrasment.

Use your knife and pistol whenever possible to preserve Ammo, Know when to exploit a postion and stand still for a while to take out 10 guys in short order or when to run after dropping 2 guys...

Always try to be the biggest pain in the ***, and dont run with the pack, flank flank flank...

I made this to test the ingame recording thingy of ps2, but i think it shows rly good what i mean with "exploiting a position"

This was the last of 5 or 6 "runs" i did, i killed 60+ ppl during this base attack, i spotted everything i could and got a lot of points for assist which means my guys down there had it mucher easier simply because almost everyone who was using the teleporter to get into the fight was spotted and probably wounded or with low shields.

And pls pls dont start chasing tanks, no matter what the smartasses here in the forums tell you...
  8. Duke-H-

C4 is powerful, but one block is not that useful. The best use for it is blowing up unsuspecting MAX suits.

Two blocks pack enough of a punch for you to accomplish real things with it.
    Now you can hunt sunderers, tanks (if you are brave) and set up nasty ambushes.

To start out I'd get a medkit, weapon attachments and whatever armor mod you want and then start saving for double C4 (that second block is expensive).

Regarding scopes, i like the 2x reflex.
    However 3.4x/4x are also nice, harder to use up close, i tend to hipfire more with them then with reflex.
  9. VKhaun

If you're new I would get one of the 3.4's.

Fighting indoors and CQC with things like reflex sights is tricky. You need to carefully decide when to sprint, when to walk, when to hipfire and when to aim down the sights. Lots of people take all the nuance for granted, and lots of new players just aren't aware of it at all.

However, the easiest thing to do on LA is not to have firefights at all, but to get somewhere unusual and elevated, like on top of a building or even just a tall random piece of scenery like a shipping container or a ledge sticking off a base wall and from that advantageous position, shoot at people who are unaware of you. When you play this way it's very important to drop your target fast, so they don't shoot back at all. Even if you still technically get the kill, if they fire back people are more likely to notice them shooting at you and figure out your position. The 3.4 makes it easier to carbine-snipe and easier to open with a headshot attempt and then drag downward.
  10. kersk

Anyone else feel like LA are the real infiltrators?
  11. Albatross039

May i ask what carbine and scope were used in the video ? :)