[Suggestion] Total class rework

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Icehole1999, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Demigan

You don't have to buy it, you just have to accept the truth. There's a reason why even now, years after ballistic weapons have become automatic murder machines, a good combat knife is still a valuable tool. And once protection against ballistic weapons increases, weapons like a knife or even a damned sword will become better alternatives.

In other words, "no this isn't a discouraging system, as only the players who actually cert this filth will be punchingbags. But they choose to be punching bags, so it's all OK!".
    Under this system, support classes will be practically untouched. Players who actually did cert into them will instantly drop them. Why bother with one if all it does is make you a punchingbag? Only a fraction of a fraction of the people who already do support in this game will keep doing support. That's not the way to go.
    It shouldn't matter what class you pick, you should be capable of having a blast. The primary goal of the game is "shoot the other guy", and you should be capable of doing that within your niche.

If you actually can make the Infiltrator work, why can't you get yourself to play one? Especially if it's a "similar cookie cutter as everyone else". Somehow you are A-OK with playing HA, but when the Infiltrator is the same cookie-cutter (it's not) then somehow it's unplayable?

You also make the argument of "all the people I see are bads". And... How are you going to change that exactly? All you are doing is throwing the people who use the support roles under the bus. The players who stick with the support role will have an equal chance to shoot you in the back and revive you as they do now.

What I expect is that it's more a who they want to shoot in the back and revive/revive in bad spots (which you have the option to say "no" to! don't blame them for your own mistake!)/Engineers who are only interested in their deployable turrets (really, where did you ever see that?). Considering how you talk to people on here, it seems more that you call it on yourself. Blaming other people for your acceptence to be revived on a bad spot. You died there, you should know the situation better than the Medic. I would happily shoot you in the back and revive you a few times too if you blamed me for your own fault. Although in general I'm too nice about that.
  2. Nogrim313

Apr 10, 2017

nuff said.
    • Up x 1
  3. Icehole1999

You just acknowledged one of the biggest problems with the medic class. "I'd gladly shoot you in the back and revive you a few times".

But that class and those who play it don't suck?

That was a rhetorical question.
  4. CutieG

This idea would merit discussion if it wasn't so late into the game's lifecycle.
    A rework would completely **** the game for at least a year before the kinks are worked out. That's something the devs cannot afford.

Personally, I do think that some of the class layouts that we have are silly. Like the engineer/medic distinction.
    And **** the visual aspect of classes. They are almost impossible to distinguish, especially at range and especially when camo is added to the mix. I've recently seen a Vanu camo that makes an infiltrator look like a Heavy, so I was caught off-guard when he cloaked as he broke line of sight and then reappeared somewhere else.
    • Up x 1
  5. stalkish

Id quite like to see a knife do this:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ll-kilometre-away-world-s-powerful-rifle.html

Or this:

Obligatory:
    • Up x 4
  6. Demigan

You know, I've only ever been shot in the back and revived twice in my entire PS2 career, and they didn't repeat it (once was even helpful as it was the fastest way to get my MAX health up from a sliver to 10%). And I've never ever done the same to anyone else in the game. The only reason why I would shoot you in the back and revive you is because of how you behave.

The class and those who play it don't suck. It's the least used class (although I've seen more of them recently). More importantly, the people around the Medics suck. A Medic who dies doesn't get a skull to signal his death, but will then get repeat-killed by a noob who died next to the Medic and thinks the Medic is purposefully ignoring him. Medics also sometimes fulfill other duties, or aren't always 100% aware of their surroundings, meaning they sometimes forget/don't revive people. And that's OK, because every class is more often than not unaware of something they should be doing.

Therefore I'll just rephrase my previous statement and be more blunt about it: The only reason support classes are bad around you, is because they hate your guts and prefer to not support you or just chain-kill and revive you rather than actually helping you. And I can't blame them.
    • Up x 2
  7. Demigan

• Up x 1
  8. Icehole1999

I know it's just a wish list.

I think that so many people play HA for the same reason I do.

It's the most versatile class. With available load outs you can be AI, AV, AA, sniper, point defense, dopey knife fighter. And that's just what I came up with in 10 seconds.
  9. Demigan

So the obvious conclusion would be that the other classes need similar versatility to them, but geared to their specific class.

Not to say "let's scrap some of the existing classes and combine the remaining one's into one super-arch class". Especially since you get supreme loadouts that simply outshine other loadouts, reducing the versatility rather than enhancing it.
  10. Icehole1999

Exactly what do you mean by "How you behave"? Do you mean by my expressing a differing view than yours? Why do you feel so threatened by my post? I'd say because it hit awfully close to home.
  11. Icehole1999

Not a ringer, mind you, but definitely a leaner.
  12. stalkish

Indeed, however I dont think the advanced nanite tech would be limited to armour materials.

If we can have carbon nanotubes in our armour, we can have nano sharp armour penetrating bullets that slice through anything like butter.
    Or super dense bullets, think of a small tiny piece of neutron star, that bullet would literally go through anything. (lets ignore the fact that it would also slice through your hand, gun magazine, and the earth beneath you just by sitting there).
    Or remember in X-men origins: Wolverine, when Striker loads his gun with alamatium bullets as theyre the only thing that can penetrate the alamantium in Wolverines skull? Same principle here, use the armour materials as bullets.

There are however many examples of knives being used effectively in war, spec ops and stealth ops come to mind.
    Paddy Mayne made particular use of a knife in WW2 for example (seriously, what a lengend that guy was!).
    So whilst id personaly rather have a firearm for personal protection, and indeed the invention of the firearm made obsolete sword baring warriors like the samurai, a knife still cuts throats when it needs to.
  13. Demigan

Nope, I'm heavily allergic to stupidity. For example your story about getting repeatedly killed and revived? Well first of all, after the first time they revived and killed you, you shouldn't be accepting the second revive as you know what's going to happen. Second of all it doesn't happen. Well it does happen, but only to people who have been murdering other people first. Even the NC, notorious for TK'ing, rarely ever does this. If you are seeing it happen to you all the time, it has to be you that causes it, not them.
    And blaming other players for your own acceptance of a revive in a bad spot, that's just lower than low. It's not about "having a different view", it's simply complete and utter idiocy. You might as well be advocating that black people are inferior, and when I justifiably confront you with it you hide behind "oh it's not my behaviour that's the problem, I'm just expressing a different view than you do".
  14. Demigan

Yes it does go both ways, but simple "this thing is sharper than anything before because it's got a 1 molecule thick edge" doesn't mean it'll cut through anything. That depends on what kind of force it'll exert on the opposing material before that 1 molecule thick edge deforms.

Then again, when working on nanoscale most "normal" physics have taken a backseat already to the myriad of forces that apply to it. For example with electricity you can normally stop it with a non-conductive element that you can slide in between once in a while, which is great in PC's for computing. But on a nanoscale you can have electric particles tunneling passed the barrier. So there's no precise knowing what this will do. All that we know for certain is that if we can make nanoscale objects, it'll change the world and our understanding of it. That Graphene armor? Yeah you could perhaps shoot a single molecule at it and cause some kind of quantum reaction that causes it to degrade and turn to dust. It could very well be possible, because at nanoscale level quantum events start doing really really weird stuff.
  15. Icehole1999

Dude really? Now that you've failed to snuff out my individual opinion you've resorted to race baiting? You must be a Democrat.

Anyway, yes. I let someone revive me repeatedly just to see how long they'd keep it up. I got bored with it at 3.

Please also actually read my post. I don't let myself get revived in bad spots. That's just where the majority try it.
  16. Demigan

You must be an idiot.
    The difference between our two statements? Mine was true! Here's some proof:

So... You are actually complaining about something that you actively supported by complying? And how many times did this ever happen to you? Because right now it sounds like this happens once, ever, to you. And somehow this one instance makes you believe that you can make statements like "almost all supporting players are bad and do this" and have them scrapped/their gameplay crushed into the ground?

Sounds more like confirmation bias, similar to "I never get revived" that others spout.
  17. Littleman

Mmm... nah. No team based FPS - especially one on this scale - should have a "the shooty tough guy" and a "his supporting cannon fodder" without some glaring weaknesses on the former. PS2 committed FPS design sins in the infiltrator and the heavy assault when compared against the the other three classes, especially considering self-healing methods are easily acquired, removing the need for a medic outside of death-reversal.
  18. Icehole1999

When I play HA I have multiple med kits so really don't need heals. I totally agree with that.

As far as the class goes, it seems like medic is the only one where you need to squad up to play effectively. All the others let you fly solo to some extent.

When I get tk'D by friendly medics it's normally just outside an objective area where they're just milling about by themselves. Why is this? Do they not understand they should be with a squad? Or did some YouTube nitwit convince them that the medic with its self heal is one rock and roll CQC class, only to not be able to make that happen, then they become bitter and seek XP by killing team mates? I just don't know.
  19. FateJH

I'm certain you know this but it's worth re-stating: you don't get experience for reviving a friendly fire incident, your own or another person's.
    This is quite incorrect. He does not need to be with a squad any more than you feel you need to be (at least if we compare your opinion of "his Medic" versus "your Heavy Assault" "milling about"). No class if perfectly powerless on its own and all can be leveraged to an extent depending on the competencies and experience of the player behind the keys. Given a player of sufficient skill it wouldn't matter what your enemy's class is - your Heavy Assault would be like paper to him. The ideal would be that the game encourages strong squad cohesion amongst players of the various classes, especially for the threat of facing those kinds of odds by oneself, but does not directly punish (or favor) lone wolf tendency.

You're just being condescending towards him because you have a rigid opinion on how classes operate in this game. And because he shot you enough to kill you a few times without provocation (that part can be inexcusable, though some believe it a form of base socialization).
    • Up x 1
  20. Dakarkon