Too much incentive to play HA

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Phsychotica, Nov 27, 2012.

1. BlamTown

"It's the internet" doesn't justify anything. There are plenty of people who held it together and didn't start name calling like you stole their tonka truck. People acting like kids over some pixels, I'm very worried about the future of our society.
  2. Nehlis

Careful what you say on the net man, someone is going to start trolling you hard real soon.
  3. Kyutaru

The way you worded your statement, I didn't think you were looking for justification, I thought you were looking for explanation. "It's the internet" explains things quite nicely. See how easily confusion can sprout in an online forum? It's much easier to get someone to see your point of view through personal discussion, and even that doesn't always go well. Often you're capable of restraining yourself more because you know the person in some way. Here, everyone is a stranger, and if you don't like what they have to say, they can go screw themselves.

Society's been in the gutter for decades, watch the news. Anything goes in today's social world.

Damn straight. Some people actually get off on telling off strangers. Mainly sociopaths and nerds who got bullied too much in school, but you can never tell one person from another by text alone.
  4. Dovahkiin

Playing HA nets the least XP, so... no.
  5. Nenarch

Don't see much talk about VS HA's.. yeah we'r bit a joke atm in compared to TR.. and NC.

Anyways it's fine as it is now.. as soon as they fix VS Ha.. thou, like the lasher.. gimme that minigun anyday over current lasher. thx.
  6. fawny

HA's move slowest behind the max and their most used weapon, the LMG, suffers at longer ranges. Getting rid of the shield or the rocket launcher would break the class...

I play medic / light assault btw.
  7. Malael

Give the rocket launcher to engineers and the stationary turret to heavies. This way the anti-tank class wouldn't be a tank itself, the useless turret for engineers might actually become useful in the hands of the most used most forward class, and the heavy wouldn't be the end-all-be-all class.

The shield needs to be nerfed in any scenario.
  8. serenekaos

Engineers don't need rocket launchers. This isn't BF3 where everyone will play engineer and spam rockets like scrubs.
  9. Lokarin

Move the AA rocket from the HA to the LA... suddenly the game makes more sense.
  10. LordPesusieni

Wow alot of misinformation here

only thing true Kyutaru said is the fact that NC weapons always tend to have better first shot accuracy than the counterparts of TR and VS

however the NC always have the worst recoil and Cone of fire increase there is no NC weapon atm with a CoF increase of 0.05 which is standard for the TR and VS some NC weapons have 0.07 while most have 0.06.

NC also has usually the slower shell speeds also.

NC simply are at a disadvantage both VS and TR can spray really well without losing alot of accuracy, while NC recoil + CoF bloom makes NC having to burst fire alot. and burst firing increases time to kill.

i can honestly say that TR just feels better than NC the rate of fire and big clips make is easy to land shots repeatedly.

also if im honest using the over shield is usually idiotic it slows you down tremendously making you an easier target.

my kill to death ratio on the NC char is 1.5 atm and i play alot of tank on it so my infantry kill to death ratio is prolly 0.75.

while my TR char has not played vehicles AT ALL (ok maybe on 3 kills on the prowler) and my TR's kill to death ratio is 2.5 and that is just playng infantry.

TR just feels better higher rate of fire means more bullets hitting an enemy making them flinch which is good + good CoF makes it reliably to hit them all.

while you sit there trying to head shot me i've already killed you with my RoF

but talking about Heavy assault i feel they are just fodder, shields wont help you if i get the drop on you.
  11. Kyutaru

Which is common for many competitive shooter weapons like the AK47 in CounterStrike. Having high damage per shot and high first shot accuracy makes the weapon a headshotter, not a bodysprayer. Burst fire to the head is the only way to play NC, and the people who think that's harder than TR are the ones who already can't aim for their life. Burst firing on TR actually becomes more difficult because of the high rate of fire and headshotting becomes more about spraying bullets in the general direction of the head, for still less damage than the NC weapons will deal.

If you can't understand that, perhaps you'll understand the difference between a shotgun and an automatic shotgun. The shotgun tends to be higher damage, more recoil, yet pros PREFER it because of it's headshotting capacity and skill requirement (if you miss once, you're dead). Meanwhile, the automatic shotgun tends to do less damage, but has a higher rate of fire, much like the TR weapons. Scrubs use these weapons because they miss too often with the regular shotgun and get killed by automatic weapons. They can't handle the skilled weapon so they resort to the one that spam more bullets per second. Yet the regular shotgun will still come out ahead of them every single time if it's being used by a skilled player.

The reason many players find TR weapons easier to use is because they naturally MISS very often and need a weapon that covers their mistakes.

You just explained what the difference is between an assault rifle and an SMG. No one will disagree that the SMG is easier to spray lots of bullets with, it has its place in shooters for people who can't aim, much like the TR faction as a whole. The NC faction is for people who can aim, who prefer high damage precision over rate of fire, and can accurately aim for the head. The VS faction is for people who can't handle recoil or bullet drop. All three factions have an advantage depending on your personal playstyle, all you are doing by claiming NC is weak and TR is strong is confirming the type of player you are... the spray and pray can't hit the head to save his grandma type.

Which is confirmed right here.

And here. No experienced shooter player "sits there trying to head shot". Head shots take no additional time to setup than regular shots, they depend on your skill and reflex in being able to continually home in on the head instinctively. If you are attempting to aim a headshot, you are doing it wrong. Headshots are not aimed, they are simply scored. Any worthwhile CounterStrike or Quake player can spin around, see an enemy, and immediately score a headshot purely on instinct. It takes zero additional seconds to do, it takes no additional setup time, it requires one thing and one thing only -- SKILL. The time it requires to get a headshot is equal to the time it requires to move your mouse over their head. What DEFINES a skilled player is the difference in time between their normal shots and their headshots, and for the majority of skilled players there is no difference between the two. Traditionally horrible shooter players find this to be a challenge because they don't understand how GOOD players are capable of measuring the distance to the head with their eyes, using finely tuned motor control in their hands from years of shooter experience to move the mouse exactly that distance, and using hyper reflexes forged by repeated deaths or failures to be the faster trigger puller. These are games where whoever gets the headshot wins, being the fastest headshot matters more than anything else and simply playing the game for a month or two will BY REQUIREMENT make you into a better player with faster reflexes and quicker headshots. NC weapons are designed for this type of player and only this type of player is going to find them effective over the modern shooter styled TR faction. NC are old school, baddies need not apply. This is why skilled players almost invariably go NC... because TR and VS are too easy.

I'll say it again, easier is not better. The TR weapons are a disadvantage to skilled players because you can't improve on them much, you simply take aim and hold the fire button. NC weapons have a higher skill cap to them, they're more effective in the hands of a pro. Simply being a skilled player also isn't going to win you tournaments, so let's not start assumptions that NC is only playable by 1% of the population. There are countless skilled players out there, old school games had entire servers of them, with hundreds of servers to choose from. It's a different category from the casual gamer who picks up a shooter and expects to do well from the get go, it takes practice and effort but only when you reach that level do you see that you've only reached the bottom floor of an IMMENSELY tall ladder of continued skill upgrades. Simply having headshots under your belt is the bare minimum requirement for being able to do well in a shooter, there are people who also have the tactics down AND faster reaction time than you which is what separates tournament winners from your average skilled player.

People who can accurately headshot in the blink of an eye are A DIME A DOZEN. Or at least they used to be before Call of Duty made baddies feel good about themselves...
  12. Kyutaru

Remember that this is an MMO and that it's drawing in a lot of players who aren't traditionally shooter players. There are people playing this game who have never even TOUCHED a shooter before. Because of that, the factions are divided into three segments of ease.

You have the VS as the easiest faction to pick up and play for people new to shooters or with very little shooter experience. It removes worrying about bullet drop, projectile velocity, recoil, burst vs sustained fire, and simply gives players a simple to understand weapon that needs no explanation. Just point this end at the thing you want dead and pull the trigger. Perfect for RPG gamers who are branching out with their Station pass.

Next up the ladder is the TR, which requires knowledge of recoil management and how to compensate for bullet drop and travel time. It's more familiar to casual shooter players or people with only some shooter experience. It's also the go-to faction for Call of Duty fans or Battlefield players because it has the same easy to use style weapons and spray-and-pray effectiveness of those games.

The NC are at the top of the ladder and require the greatest experience to play. This is the faction choice for the veterans of shooters, the people used to old school mechanics where Quick Draw and being the fastest gun in the west was paramount, games that tested the limits of your speed, senses, and tactical thinking. It requires intimate knowledge of controlling recoil, solid application of burst firing, and proficiency at scoring headshots, all exactly the same elements that old school shooters required to survive your first encounter. With weapons that could kill with a single bullet from extreme ranges in the blink of an eye, players of these games were required to become faster, smarter, and more agile. In the same vein as those games, NC weapons have the highest bullet damage of the three factions.

Spraying isn't skill, it's the result of watered down modern mechanics designed to appeal to players who aren't as good at getting headshots. It's easier, not better.

So why play NC if TR or VS are so much easier? Because you can. You don't get any better at shooters by playing TR, you get worse. All your skill that you spent years developing goes right down the toilet by firing TR weapons, they're too easy for veterans and are akin to weightlifting a 50 lb bar when you can handle 300 lbs. It's not going to help you, it's just going to make you soft. With practice and experience, NC weapons are just as effective if not more so than their easier faction counterparts, as the skilled players making effective use of them will know. If the weapons were too good, the skilled players would trounce the RPG gamers with ease and we'd be hearing a whole different set of complaints.

Because the fact is, despite all the claims from bad players of cheaters that were known to be false, this...

and this

...was the kind of stuff most people, if not everyone, was capable of doing in the good old days.

It's the difference between Goldeneye and Halo. You either understand the difference and mourn what modern shooters have done or you think I'm talking about guns vs lasers.