Too many Infiltrators in fights

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BlackFox, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Exitus Acta Probat

They aren't invisible, most of the time I don't have a problem seeing the cloak "shimmer"

I actual seem to be running into a lot of combat medics, like entire squads of them
  2. ZDarkShadowsZ

What would you recommend be the solution, then?
  3. Thalestr

Just a few random ideas in no particular order:

- Reduce the light brightness. I know it's a flashlight, but it's absurdly bright, even during the daytime.
    - Allow one other rail attachment in addition to the darklight. Could be for all weapons or only select ones.
    - Have the darklight work with a recharge mechanic that allows for several seconds of VERY powerful anti-cloaking light but with a 10 to 15 second recharge between uses. Possibly moved to a suit slot instead of weapon? Helmet/shoulder mounted darklight?
    - Increase the light beam range. Not by a ton, but it needs some extending in my opinion. Darklights are just not very threatening the way they are now.

Bad or good ideas? I dunno, but just some random crap I thought up.
  4. Scurge

As other people have said and if they followed the original PS1 design first and foremost remove the sniper rifle and any other 2 handed rifle. This is a stealth class very light armor look at the costumes for god's sake.

Bring back the old Darklight that works like infrared with the same original rules, Only show things cloaked everything else you almost blind too. This also cost the player to drain energy.

Stop the one knife kills. PS1 it was 3 hits to kill and even that was a pain for us to deal with.
    • Up x 1
  5. TR5L4Y3R

i take cqc ninjas over snipers because the former i know i have the range to kill and don´t necessarily need a flashlight for ..
    but cloaksniper? .. i get outranged, outdamaged and outinitiated EVERY time .. and me going to switch classes or using a vehicle just to hunt down said sniper is a win on the infil as well as he got me out of the squad or infantrygroup i´m supposed to support ..
    the cloak imho CAN stay ... what´s necessary are inteloptions to non infil classes .. like give the medic and the engineer something
    like give the medic inteldarts, get the engineer a motionspotter .. get the max a radarsuit option (among other squadsupporting options)
    give non infantry classes some anticloak spotting option like googles or something that while used disallows the use of your weapon ... forgot who mentioned it but someone suggested to have the ability to see sniper infils by specifically highlighting their rifles ballistic line ... something like that ... but as an implantoption iirc ...
  6. Drougen

Oh no, one shotable players running around? How painful it must have been to get free kills / XP in a fight without wasting almost any ammo!

So literally the same as every other class? Every class can bring fights to a stand still, every class can respawn and continue...are you suggesting....infiltrators shouldn't be able to respawn?

I hate to tell you this, but Planetside 2 is NOT a competitive game, It's a game for fun. [/quote]

High damage weapons? I'm assuming you're talking about bolt action rifles...? The ones that, if they miss a shot, you can literally kill them or duck behind cover before they can even re-fire at you...? If you're talking about SMGs, they literally have to almost be on top of you to kill you - at which point you can DEFINITELY see them...unless you're blind of course. If you're blind or have seeing problems, then I feel bad for you trying to play an FPS.

Maybe people will learn to use road mines some day? Sounds like a you problem, friend.

If you're constantly dying to infiltrators, you're definitely doing something wrong. Imo it's the only class that comes close to being a free kill pretty much.

I'm sorry, but you're worried about giving away your position in a massive scale battle game where everyone can easily see where you're coming from, anyway? Oh by the way if you're worried about giving away your position, most fights have people spamming radar darts / motion detectors, so that's really not a problem anyway. Also if you don't think the flash light is worth it, don't run it? Infiltrators are just as easy to see without a flash light, honestly. The stealth in this game is a joke.

I'm sorry but if you take two people of equal skill and give one of them 100 less shield points, who's going to win? People dismissing this as if it's not a big deal are honestly brain dead. You can spray infiltrators with hip fire from mid range and get a free kill because of it. The only people who get surprised by infiltrators are people who are deaf / blind. Infiltrators due to their lower health are more or less forced to stay stealthed as often as they can due to literally having less health than everyone else. If you can't hear the loudest noise in the game, even in the middle of the biggest fire fight it's louder than that, then I'm honestly suggesting you get your hearing tested.

If they're within range to kill you, you can literally see them. (outside of long distance BOLT ACTION snipers, who have a re-fire time so long you can literally just walk behind cover)

If it's so bad you can't fight without dying to them, it sounds like you just need to counter snipe. It's not hard. This huge rant honestly just sounds like someone who's 1.) never actually played infiltrator and 2.) just needs to l2p better
  7. JibbaJabba

I've been in a bajillion infiltrator discussions. In short I think the cloak is broken but I'm retired from repeating it all again.

I'll just leave this one thought that is very generic.

Gameplay is operant conditioning. You do an action, there is a stimulus from it, you do a new action and so on.. If you sprinkle rewards in there people get brain chemicals and they get happy and have fun and play more. So that.

Any time player action is not tied to an outcome it breaks this. In the case of rewards, free rewards diminish the joy and it gets boring. In the case of punishments or negative outcomes, the player is frustrated and does not have fun.

It's just psychology: If your actions and skills affect the outcome (even a bad one) then fun can be had. A close 1v1 match with an equally skilled player is riddled with actions, and it will have an outcome. If you lose, you improve next time and still have some manner of fun. If you win, you get the same plus even more fun.

But what happens if your skill does not affect the outcome: It's frustrating. Not fun. Objectively. The rat in the skinner box presses the button and always gets a shock instead of a food pellet = not fun.

There are a ton of places where this comes up in planetside:
    1. Infantry vs a Tank
    2. Top 1% player vs a bottom 50% player
    3. Any one-hit-kill (OHK) clientside
    4. Max vs Infiltrator
    5. A2G ESF vs Infantry
    6. 90/10 spawnroom camp

These are *objectively* not fun scenarios.

But this un-fun thing can be mitigated in most cases. Take #5 for example. Bad weather = stay indoors. #6 Redeploy, #1 can be mitigated with clever gameplay and disengagement. etc..

Some of them cannot be mitigated. #3 in particular. If situational awareness and positioning allow you to avoid the situation, sure. But unlike with a rumbling tank or stomping max, the infantry player isn't afforded the means to always avoid this. So when it's faced, it's not fun. Period. Just a fact.

Due to clientside and our decloak on fire mechanics, the infiltrator can execute #3 above at any time. They don't even need a corner to peek from. So.. in those circumstances, dying to them is not fun. Objectively.

So what to do about it?

You can fix the "not-fun" that infantry is having with A2G by simply getting rid of A2G. But then that becomes "not-fun" for the A2G player. Similarly you could nerf something into the ground to effectively accomplish the same. But it's a bad solution. It just moves the "not-fun" to a different spot in the game.

So clever solutions are needed. If you're an Infil or an Infil-hater, be honest with yourself about the "not-fun". The idea is to reduce it, not move it somewhere else. Maybe it's not shared fairly and needs adjusted. But try to outright reduce it.

Be realistic about what can be fixed (clientside isn't going away) and be sure to tackle the right thing. The guy that used the cloak to sneak up behind you isn't the problem. The guy who kills you without having to do that is.
    • Up x 2
  8. RabidIBM

Foul necromancer! How dare you disturb a thread which had rested for more than a year?
    • Up x 1