Too many heavy assaults

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VonStalin, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Pokebreaker

I hate to use real life examples, BUT; in the military, EVERY service member is trained AND capable(somewhat) of Combat, and often all have a personal weapons, (except for a few, like Chaplain). However, there is ONLY one job-field meant solely to be the MAIN fighting force who engage in direct combat, and that is the Infantry. Now don't get me wrong, non-infantry personnel will find themselves in situations where they have to engage the enemy; and there are many occassions where non-infantry are conducting Infantry-like roles due to many reasons. However, the ones who are specifically tasked to seek and destroy the enemy in direct combat, are the Infantry. They train for it physically and mentally, and are the most capable direct combat-arms force in the conventional military (of any countrys' military). Therefore, they have a distinct advantage if they were for some reason placed against an element of non-infantry personnel.

That is the correlation I draw when it comes to the Heavy Assault. Although, in PS2 I would consider HA and LA both Infantry, seeing as their abilities are primarily for gaining personal kills, and nothing else. The Combat Medic, Engineer, and Infiltrator are support classes, meant to support the HAs and LAs in their killing, but still be able to kill if necessary. Clearly people use support classes as though they were actual infantry, which I don't think is wrong (we can play however we want), but when they want to be put on an even playing field as the combat oriented classes, it's just silly. One of the big reasons people aren't able to kill HA they got the drop on, is also due to their poor mouse accuracy. I used to have problems killing every class, before I got my configurations set to where I can actually hold shots steady. Now, I don't have problems killing/headshotting any class, except for .75 ADS HAs, as I can't keep up with the strafing as well as I would like too.

The biggest problem this game, as well as any with game with multiple classes has, is that people REFUSE to adapt to the situation. They only play one style/class, and then expect the game to be shaped around what THEY like to do. There is a difference between someone who primarily plays one classes, but switches to other classes depending on the situation; and one who plays only one class, and refuses to switch to a role that is needed for the situation at hand. "Oh, I only like to fly ESF, but I get killed to easy, please nerf/buff what hinders my farming", "Oh, I only like to Tank, but I get killed to easy, please nerf that which hinders my farming, or buff what will increase it', "Oh, I only play infantry, but tank and aircraft kill me to easily, please nerf them, because I don't want to pull a heavy for a few minutes". Meanwhile, the players refuse to change their tactics, or just accept that they were bested. My favorite is when Infantry is clearly being farmed by aircraft or tanks, but they REFUSE to pull HA or AA/AV max to deal with the issue. Instead, they keep pulling support classes, and running off in the opposite direction, hoping they don't get killed this time, of which they usually do. Players would rather be farmed, than address the threat, but they also don't want to be farmed...So they basically just want the threat to magically go away with no effort from themselves. That's where the Devs come in...

I'm not taking any punches at you, just talking about what your response brought to mind.
    • Up x 5
  2. Crayv

Too many HA? Well it is certianly better than too many medics. In fact I hope the enemy faction I am fighting have all their medics switch to HAs so that way when I kill one of them they stay dead.
    • Up x 2
  3. Syphers

All classes are designed for fighting...the whole game is about fighting...

You used to complain then you just rerolled VS to enjoy the faceroll aswell. You say it shooting some guy in the back only to have him press F and turn around to pwn but what you gonna do when 50% of the infantry pop just play heavies.

Heavyside hurt the game, imagine newbies frustration as they deal with this it's no wonder that the game hasn't become popular for the average infantry players either stick to heavy or quit. The shield should be flak/explosion fulfilling their anti-vehicle role and a nice 15-20% shield or hp boost to top it nicely.
    • Up x 1
  4. z1967

What is the main point of this game? Killing things. What does HA exceed at doing? Killing things. The rest is flavor text and scenarios. There are only so many towers in the game when there are far more regular bases and points to take. What's the point of sniping when there are 7 second respawns? I see maybe 10 aircraft an hour, on both sides. I see hundreds of enemies an hour on just one side. Same with vehicles, maybe 60 ground vehicles excluding flashes. Hundreds of enemies. Best AV? Ha, LA needs to get stupidly close, best AV belongs to the BS that doesn't render. Lancer, Vortex, Ravens, and AV MANA off the top of my head.

Good luck fitting a Light Assault into half the places effectively. To get anywhere speedily a LA needs a boost from either a vehicle or a jump pad. HA doesn't need anything outside of themselves to perform effectively.
    • Up x 2
  5. WarmasterRaptor

More things to think about ;)

Is the HA best suited to heal/revive friendlies ?

Repair and resupply ?

Provide tools for intel ?
    • Up x 1
  6. NinjaTurtle

Whilst I disagree does that not seem wrong to you if that were the case?
  7. Pokebreaker

Just like in MMORPGs, DPS classes are a dime-a-dozen. Everyone wants to play the classes that can kill the best. Which ACTUALLY makes those dedicated support players stand out MUCH more, in a good way. I know when there is a good Medic around, I make sure to thank them fore heals and revives, because they are filling that extremely important gap of sustaining fights forward of spawn points. Same with Engis and their resupplies. PS2 doesn't seem to have an issue with lack of people playing all the classes. It's more a lack of people playing classes effectively (notice I didn't say RIGHT).
    • Up x 3
  8. NinjaTurtle

DPS is important of course and in many cases can give you an edge.

However the maneuverability and flaking you can achieve with the LA can give a smart player a strong step up and to a slightly lesser extent the Infiltrator class rewards flaking and positional skill through their cloak. The medic is pretty damn strong, the Assault rifles are amongst the best in the game and their self heal is a semi heavy shield (sort of).

The engineer is the only infantry class that lacks and real combat strength but is balanced due to their strong affiliation with vehicles

I do not think you can look at DPS as the only important factor, other classes when their abilities are utilized are very strong
  9. HadesR

I don't think it helped giving the most durable class access to the best TTK weapons at the same time . The shield factor could have been offset a little by restricting their access to SMG's / Shotguns ..
    So in general MMO terms they would be the tanks while other classes were the DD's .. Giving the tankiest class access to the best DPS / TTK weapons as well has the tendency not to end well ..
    • Up x 3
  10. Xind

Add one more reason: Over abundance of vehicles and aircraft.

Heavy is the only infantry class that can honestly do anything when some air farmer decides to start slaughtering men on the ground. And even though C4 fairies are a nightmare, they're vastly less effective in situations where everyone has full framerates and the combat isn't super dense. I honestly believe the vehicle spam plays a LARGE impact in the amount of heavies, because really who wants to be defenseless against vehicles (which are around every corner...and above you at all times)
    • Up x 4
  11. iller

NEVER!!!

[IMG]

agreed.... Shotguns, SMG, & chaingun/jackhammer are a bit in conflict with the underlying design of LMG's..
    And EMP nade not depleating NMG / resist Shield is also in DIRECT conflict with the stated role of surprise buttse ghostcap infiltrator...
    • Up x 1
  12. Jackplays17

But still. I DARE you to go into a fight with a squad of ALL HA's. They will die quickly. They wont survive. Now, Take that squad, and make them medics. They will all survive 10 TIMES As long. HA Isnt The VERY BEST Class. Its the best for some things, but not all.
    • Up x 4
  13. Xasapis

Best DPS/TTK weapons in the game are the assault rifles, the ones medics have.
    • Up x 5
  14. z1967

The fact that you can respawn at any number of sources kinda makes that point moot. What's the point of surviving that long as Medics when the force of HAs will just respawn and eventually gain ground?

Since you like questions, tell me why HA is almost the default class for Server Smashes? Why is it that most of the top performing infantry players play Heavy Assault (infantry excludes the MAX, for obvious reasons)?
  15. REZistance

Just like they do with the auto-turrets, EMP grenades should disable the iWin shield for 10 seconds.
  16. WarmasterRaptor

10 seconds is way too much.

Just draining it would be enough.
    • Up x 2
  17. REZistance

Why is 10 seconds too much, and what would be your version of 'draining it?'
  18. EscobarJP

I agree with HA's having access to way too much. Now I'm just throwing an idea for weapons and classes, so don't thrash me too hard if you don't agree. However I believe weapons should be a little more designated to specific classes.

Add An Additional Class

Infiltrator - Long-range weapons and SMG's. Reason being is this class already relies upon stealth and speed more than strength and power. (Yes their ranged weapons are powerful, but they require precision in order to be effective.) I rule out shotguns, because it would be simply be OP to sneak up on someone and present them with a 12-gauge facial. Also, they should be the fastest on foot.

Light Assault - SMG's, Shotguns, Carbines. Reason being as this class relies on speed, since they are they ones who can literally fly over the enemy defenses and cause havoc. I include the shotgun, because, unlike the infiltrator, LA's do not have cloaking.

Medium Assault (New) - Carbines, Assault Rifles, Shotguns, Anti-Tank/Air Rockets. Reason being is this class literally sets a middle-ground between the LA and HA in terms of firepower and speed. Note: The Rocket launcher would be an optional to equip (no costs of certs of course) for a little realism. It could weigh down the player thus slowing their sprint speed. Why is this? It forces a choice for the player to make; Being more effective as an infantryman, or slow myself down in order to carry more firepower to help fight against vehicles.

Heavy Assault - LMGs. Heavy assaults are supposed to be the little brother of the MAX Unit. That means they shouldn't be able to sprint as fast as a light assault. If you ask me, with the amount of armor they are wearing, they shouldn't be able to sprint at all. What does this mean in terms of balance? HA have their additional shield capability which turns them into bullet spounges. And since they can currently run as fast as a infiltrator and equip an SMG, it's basically fighting an Infiltrator with an overshield, more health, without cloaking. By substantially slowing their sprint, if not removing it completely, you balance the issue.

Medic and Engineer - Carbines, Assault Rifles, Shotguns. These two classes would be just one step down from the Medium Assault Class. Reason beings is because, by default, they already are carrying an additional load on their backs with the medical pack, and the engineer pack. So, they would already have that slower sprint speed that the Med Assault would experience by equipping a rocket.

So what's the goal to this setup? To specialize the roles of each class, so one is not more, or less, than the other.

- Infiltrators specialize on long-range, but can also focus in close quaters.
    - Light Assaults specialize in close quarters, but can focus on Med-ranges. They play the key role to breaching enemy lines. "Weak-hand punch"
    - Medium Assaults can specialize in infantry combat at med to long-ranges, but can step down to play a support role by focusing on anti-vehicle. They play the key roll at delivering the followup hard hit. (Strong-hand punch.)
    - Heavy Assaults specialize at being that heavy-hitting and suppressive unit that can definitely hold its own and take a beating, but still requires the support of other classes, like the medic, because of it's slow speeds.
    - Medics and Engineers specialize in exactly what they're supposed to: Supporting the fighting units. Yes, they can obviously hold their own in a fight and carry the same firepower as an MA, however unlike the MA, they have no choice but to carry their extra weight, thus making them slightly slower and easier targes. This means they will have to rely on the primary fighting units (LA, MA, HA) in order to stay alive, while the LA, MA, HA units have to do their job in order keep the Medic and Engineer's alive in order to stay alive as well.

Everyone has their role and can't succeed without the other.

Note: MAX units are a different beast, and in order to get rid of those max crash problems, there should be a limit as to how many MAX units a squad can pull. Perhaps one or two per squad. (This is a very half-hearted thought, so don't put much thought into this one)
  19. Jackplays17

Versatility. Survivability. Its just NOT The best at EVERY SINGLE Thing in this game!
    • Up x 1
  20. AlterEgo

[IMG]
    • Up x 2