Too good to be true - AV turret?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by KariH, Mar 10, 2013.

1. GSZenith

you only got 1 sunderer 1 mag? pff, try 7sunderer 13mag, 5ligh, 2esf during trial xD thing is so broken op it not even fun, only reason not more cry thread is the 1k/sc price, once everyone got it...nerf.

"teamed" up with as in found another engi at a cliff, instant drop prowler at AMP station 700m away, if you get 4engi with av turrets together....gg nerf.
  2. SgtScum

If the av turret gets a nerf in the near future it will be its shield graphic included so they are easier to see up on a ridgeline.

Besides you gauge how op something is by how easy it is to use and as this weapon has a very high skill cap and is situational in its deployement I don't see it getting its performance nerfed.

Deci spam otoh could be used by any level of player anytime in nearly any situation.
  3. notyourbuddy

This turret does not feel balanced. It has a longer range than the HA lock-on launcher, more damage, infinite ammo, zero warning to the driver, and no hard counter (IR smoke).

While at short-to-medium range this thing would make the user vulnerable this just isn't the case at the long-to-extreme-long ranges in which everyone is using them. Take into consideration that they are being deployed on high elevations this angle reduces the ability for a sniper to kill you. Your only real threat in such cases is if an ESF happens to spot you.

The HA dumbfire, HA lock-on, and the MAX dual AV gun setup all seem to be in a pretty good spot, but this fella is probably in for a nerf. Definitely a range nerf to prevent the invisible missiles of doom b.s. and possibly a damage nerf as well.

And I question the "renders at vehicle distance" claim. This isn't some graphical glitch or bug that people are experiencing. These things just seem to render according to an entirely different rule set than vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  4. Athanasius

Keep in mind that in PS2 it's not simply a render distance. It's a render number (of objects to render). Thus it's entirely possible for you to have enough people around you that your render distance (separately for vehicle+AV turret and Infantry) is cut off before that of a distant player (who has many fewer players/vehicles nearby) had their render of you cut off.

i.e., Say you can see/render a max of 75 objects/players, Engineer in AV turret with 50 people close by and looking at your 100 people 400m away can see your tank if it's in the extra 25 he can render, but due to you having the 100 close by you can't see all/any of the 50 at his position. (I say 'all/any' because I believe a change to the system made it more dependent on where you're looking rather than just a sphere around your position.)

The change that's needed is that someone who has locked on to you or damaged you in the last 30s should get rendered for you, always. Also anyone a rocket is heading towards should always see it.
  5. JudgeDeath

Lets get real abit.

Turret damage is same as standard dumbfire launcher. The reason it 4 shots a sundy is because it gets a special bonus against that particular vehicle.

Due to shooting from extreme distances it lowers the effective dps of the weapon since you cant shoot another missile even if cooldown is allready over, since you loose all visibility to the target. Most of the time its extremely stupid to do straight point to target shots as they reveal your position super-easy.

One engi can keep a tank up against the turret dps from any other angle but behind. Thats why I personally try to get behind the enemy armor columns.

Its superbly rewarding in the right hands and situation but superbly weak in face to face contest or short distance. Spot the AV-T and you can be sure that shells and sniper rounds start to land on you in notime.

In terms of user satisfaction its one of the best weapons ingame, not because it kills alot, simply because of the learning and reward curve. Nerfing it would just destroy the best user experience weapon ingame. Only because of unjustified whining from people too dumb or lazy to learn to deal with it.
    • Up x 4
  6. KariH

Tested with all 3 factions.

Perhaps it is not so good as it first looked. Scored many hits to libs and galaxies but still no esf:s.

It is not good against moving cover out - cover in tanks(like all tanks should act)
    It is good against stationary non moving targets such as tanks parked on hilltops or turrets. Still one or two engie repairing sunder can beat me. I shooted more than 10 missiles hits and they can keep pace.

But it is atleast some options.

Perhaps I do not buy it.
    • Up x 2
  7. Latex

This thing is evil!!! I love it. Sniping infantry it from soooooo far. It's hilarious. Watch maxes run!! Nope they didn't make it!! It's also good at killing vehicles

Here's a tip! It's best at killing ppl at a distance with uneven terrain. Depth perception or what not makes guiding it easier.spot your targets! And aim just below the dorito tip! Headshot err time!! This is for killing infantry at extreme ranges...
    • Up x 1
  8. RealityWarrior

Once you get 2 or 3 cert upgrades it fires noticeably faster and gets harder for a repairing engie to keep up.

Also it is GREAT when you work with a squad. Last night my outfit had about 25-30 people in 3 squads. Capped a point then 2 MBT and 2 Sundies rolled in thinking they would just steam roll us. They were all dead in 30 seconds. I had time to set up my AV turrest and fire 2 times before they were all dead. We had 3 engies with AV turrests and 4-6 heavies took them out VERY quickly.

I guess my point is I would not make that decision based on an unupgraded turret running solo.
  9. Vyss

So 30 people with 9 dedicated AT killed 4 vehicles without infantry support quickly? Wow! 2 MBT and 2 Sundies is so a very strong attack force.

Really the turret is useless in close range fights and is only good in med-long range. Get to very long and it's quite possible that your target gets to cover first. To be honest your effective dps (unless flanking) is not all that high. Base reload speed is like 275 dps. Factor in armor resists and it takes a long time to kill a tank solo. At the same time the tank/lightning/sniper can one shot you.

Anything with teamwork is far more effective. 3 gunned mags can instagib a tank from the front every few seconds. Coordination like that doesn't often happen though.

The weapon is great fun though and getting into sneaky flanking positions can lead to some great armor kill streaks.
  10. RealityWarrior

Dedicated? not really. We were running around all night doing infantry fights. Heavies also have LMGs so they are kinda also dedicated to anti infantry. We boarding Gal's to head to the next point and we all scrambled to defense quickly. To see them rolling in was a surprise. We had no idea if they were the front edge of a zerg or what. Considering they were 2 squads, or roughly our size unit I am sure they thought they were entering a fair fight.

The enemy didn't know what hit them. They all just died with in seconds of first being hit. It was too funny to watch.

Useless? This was a close range fight. I did about the same damage as any one else involved. I don't see how acting as part of a team is useless. It allows me to play my preferred class and act as part of that team. Before I would just run and hide or charge out with mines to suicide my self at them. I MUCH prefer the turret over those options.I don't even bother to run with AV mines anymore. I just AV turret any AMS sundie I come up on. 4 shots and it is down. they have about 15 sec from the first one hitting to do something or it is dead. (at full cert it is 12 seconds from the first hit)

It is useful anywhere. It is borderline over powered at long range when you are on a ridgeline that the enemy can not close the range on. Still very fun to use

It is situational but then so is every weapon so that isn't a bad thing.I just hate everyone shoe holing it's usefulness into how or if they can solo 10 tanks. There are WAY more uses for it than that.
  11. Vyss

Honestly I don't know how to take this story. If 2 mbts rolled up on a loaded Gal it should be game over for that squad. Something had to be wrong with them. Now if you noticed them rolling up and had time to set up and reposition a little (10s) and then they plowed in... That reads more like a spontaneous ambush.

They aren't 100% useless in close range but against any decent enemy you will either die quick or not have a target. The turret does not have a great turn radius and is quite easy to flank and in close combat you are easily picked off by infantry or the tank itself.

Also, by dedicated I meant that is their sole focus at the time. Heavy have the wonderful luxury of switching between AI and AT with the switch of a weapon.

The turret is definitely good but people are making it out to be amazing without any weaknesses. I just don't want to see it getting nerfed because people blow the benefits out of proportion and ignore the blatant vulnerabilities.
  12. Fumblewatt

Oh god i love the AV turret, i love shooting down tanks, air and sunderers
    Air being the hardest obviously, but the thrill of hitting a fast moving dog fighter.. you cant replace that thrill
    Still in a learning curve using this weapon effectivly, and getting better at finding spots to deploy without being sniper fodder.
    Was at the top of the crown, deployed behind the plating near the air mainframes, shoot a rockets upwards the sky then guided it to the ground completly crushing that vanguard, thank you AV turret for the most thrilling kills ever!

Btw are the upgrades even worth buying for it? since i mainly just shoot 1 rocket then switch spots and shoot another one
  13. GSZenith

not good vs moving target? the fudge...the only thing you can't hit 99% is panic-magburn-maggies, and thats about it.
    prowler "running away" 700m away, np put the dot 2cm ahead and track, hit every time..
    • Up x 1
  14. Bill Hicks

Its the only thing keeping the armor zerg down.
    • Up x 2
  15. Fumblewatt

Im curious as to how infantry dealt with tanks before the AV turret got introduced, if no base turrets were around, and that they did not have c4 or tank mines to run in there and blow themselves up? did you have to run to a weapon station to respecc to HA?
    the AV turret or any guided missile weapons should be encouraged(so the engineer increases his skill by getting better at placements and guiding the missile better), the "tank players" needs to pay more attention to his surroundings, without getting notified of any damage incomming(increases his focus and skill by trying to counter the missile).
    It creates an important role for the sniper infiltrators.

Now.. its weird that the engineer got this turret since an infiltrator version of this type of weapon would have been better, it just feels odd that engineer got AV mines, C4 and the AV turret, while infiltrators got 0 AV at all
  16. Evil Monkey

AV Turret is OP.

That is all.
  17. raumfahrer

Yeah, I sometimes feel a little bad for using it. Then I see tank zerg exploding and me happy.
  18. centurionvi

This thing does as much damage as a Vanguard AP turret, has infinite ammo, infinitely deployable, high velocity, wire guided, no drop, no resource cost, so.. lets just say you better enjoy it while it lasts.
    • Up x 1
  19. Doniazade

The AV turret is incredibly OP, and I say this as someone who has earned maybe 800-900 certs with it this weekend.

1) The most glaringly obvious problem with it is that it allows you to strike targets without risk of retaliation. By firing from beyond load range your missile turns invisible and the victim has no way of knowing where he's being hit from. Taking cover is a matter of guesswork. There is no other weapon in the game that does this - sniper rifles cannot be effectively used beyond infantry load range and tanks/turrets will show up at any range.

2) Infinite ammo and range for a weapon that does extremely high damage, enough to oneshot infantry without Flak Armor. If you lower your sensitivity enough to keep your crosshairs on single pixels it is an extremely effective weapon against infantry in, say, Crown vs Ti Alloys-style engagements.

3) No bullet drop, perfect accuracy and the ability to steer the missile in flight means the only way to escape is to get out of line of sight. A half-decent turret user can easily hit tanks moving at any speed in any direction. Except for line of sight or killing the user there are no effective countermeasures. Smoke does nothing since you can just aim for the bottom pixel of the spot marker and get a kill anyway.

5) Large frontal hitbox, much larger than the model, which makes hitting the user from the front or from below very difficult. For an AV turret this thing absolutely destroys infantry zergs as long as there isn't a competent sniper or LA around.

6) Free and quick to redeploy. If you get discovered or killed you can quickly set up anywhere else without resource cost or cooldown beyond the 6 second redeploy timer. Destroying a turret poses little more than an annoyance to the engineer.

7) No significant tradeoff for use. The only reason to use the default turret is if you don't have the AV turret or maybe if you spend all day healbotting MAXes in biolabs.

This isn't even considering the fact that it can hit targets behind cover, but doing so requires actual skill so let's ignore that.

Also, the weapon has one of the highest EFFECTIVE dps values in the game since a properly positioned turret can fire continuously without fear of retaliation or need for defensive maneuvers. The fact that the extreme ranges add a few seconds to the refire time doesn't change too much.

oh and

8) Despite being incredibly dangerous, the experience reward for taking out a turret is pitiful. It obviously has to be because it is infinitely spammable, but it still means that turret-hunting is less attractive in terms of exp/h compared to traditional gameplay, so less players will be searching for hidden turret emplacements.
    • Up x 1
  20. Nintyuk

If there are going to be any nerfs it needs to be to the shots done at extreme ranges. It should have either a damage fall off after you leave infantry render distance or wire control switches off after 6 seconds. It can't lose it's effectiveness at shorter ranges as at those distances it's extremely risky to man the thing even for 1 shot.