Too good to be true - AV turret?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by KariH, Mar 10, 2013.

1. KariH

I just today tested it. Tested about 15 minutes. Killed 1 sunder , one magrider and several assists,

But thats not the point. I manged to kill Magrider from absurd distance(assists also). I can kill tank if I see it so effective range is drawing distance. Easily base to base. Well beyond any lock on missiles. Tanks definitely canot touch me.

Is this too good experiment?

When people learned to use this it will be nerffed soon. Hovever - usefulnes is very depended on situation.

I try to shoot down many moving ESF:s but no luck. I think hoovering esf is just harvesting. Unfortunately I do not see any libs.
    • Up x 1
  2. Kogmaw

Oh yeah, but i feel many people will be turned off by its learning curve. easy to get, difficult to master. its ******** fun

but i do smell a nerf...makes me want to cry...
    • Up x 2
  3. KariH

Me too. *cry* . Should I buy it or leave it?

Luckily people does not understand how. It is rather easy actually.
  4. Kogmaw

I believe, in competent hands, it will still be amazing through a nerf. Personally, i play ENG often so it was worth the buy for me

and yeah, its pretty easy and still a blast
    • Up x 1
  5. Frosty The Pyro

damage is definatly too high, it should be ~1500 like the empire specific lock ons as oposed to the 2200 it seams to sport right now. Still it is definatly on my list of things to get, nerf or no nerf, unlimited ammo guided extreme range AV is VERY usefull.
    • Up x 2
  6. cody weathers

Its great but its main factor as that at closer range its harder to use. The rocket doesnt really turn on a dime and you cant move so you can be sniped by infils really easy and also 1 tank shell to the face kills you. The rockets do slightly less damage than the standard heavy assault but it still can just about 2 shot in the rear armor of a tank. I could be nerfed but I really only see rocket speed or maneuverability nerfed, or even refire time.
  7. Dramek

It is a nice weapon. Great ant-armor. It has a pretty steep learning curve and it's got zero defense for user pretty much a sitting target for snipers because you have to stand there to guide it in. That being said if you get the right setup it's killer at taking out things.

Best deployed at range or supper sneaky spot, like ridges about Quartz Ridge on Indar, I use it for taking out armor pushes but you should keep it moving. This is one purchase I was extremely pleased in. My outfit regularly pulls HA and AV turret engies to take out armor pushes. Get some aa maxes, lots of HA and some AV turret engies in a sundy and flank the enemy. works great.
  8. VKhaun

Since I got it I haven't used it much honestly. I feel very exposed with the slow RoF. I see it mostly as something to set up in an offensive capacity, where I see a sundy so I work around to get an angle on it where people aren't looking, set up, and try to demo it before people kill me.

Or wait for some sucker light assault to start planting C4... :p
  9. XRIST0

AV turret ..

Needs a damage reduction .
  10. Dramek

You can cert that slow rate down.
  11. ArcKnight

you forgot terrifying
  12. Xebov

I think the turret is fine with its dmg. There are 2 things ppl should not forget, first the turret renders at vehicle distance so the tanks you attack can see you too, second an Engineer with maxed out Tool is able to compensate most of the incoming dmg, so if a Tank reacts to the first hit and moves its back to the side and an Engineer is nearby its nearly undestructable by one AV-Turret, same for Sunderer+Engineer.

One reason why the AV-Turret is so successfull is that most Tank drivers dont look where they get dmg and most Sunderers are placed and forgotten.
    • Up x 3
  13. Stordito

it's a payback for all the magspam inside the crown when render distance was too far to fight back.
    i enjoy it while it last.
  14. LibertyRevolution

Like all new weapons.. they are a bit OP.. I expect the nerf bat to be incoming..
    Seems to be the SOE business model, put out OP new weapon, cash in on it, nerf it.
    • Up x 3
  15. ColdCheezePizza

fully certed its a weapon of mass destruction, potential nerf or not, its pretty much a necessity now if you play engi. once you try one of these and realize how useful they are its like opening pandoras box, theres no going back. Also if you buy it with SC, you'll be able to use it with any engi if you have alts on other factions once account wide locks are released. I say its a must buy
    • Up x 2
  16. Xocolatl

I wouldn't care if they reduce the damage. I just like the fact that yes, you could actually damage vehicles without suicide run now. Makes me feel a lot more useful. And at least it's good for digging enemies out of a hold if you can flank 'em.
  17. Frosty The Pyro

the standard heavy assault rocket does 1700, the AV turret does ~2200 based on the shots to kill asorted ground vehicles. At close ranges you dont need to turn it into things, just pount and click.
  18. Deathcapt

The AV turret is wierd, it does similar to the empire specific lock-ons, but it ignore passive resistances on sunderers.

So it's 2 hits to kill an esf, but only 4 to kill a sunderer from any angle. 2 in the rear of an mbt, but like 6 to to the front. 1 Hit kill direct hit on infantry without flak. Little to no splash.

Right now, I think the AV turret is really strong, but it's hard to use, and you're fairly vulnerable while using it. If the enemy is anywhere near you, it's suicide, so you're forced to grab a flash, and go way out to the edge of the map or somewhere wierd, and flank armored groups. It's a tricky thing to do, because you're super vulnerable to ESFs, and if you bring a full party, like AA / sundy buddies, etc, you attract too much attention, and then tanks you're trying to ambush will just kill you. The key is them no knowing where they're being hit from for prolonged periods of time.

I think the thing that makes it really strong, is how cheap / accessible it is. You have unlimited, and they are free to deploy. So you can spam it all day, while knocking out sunderers, or MBTs, which have long CDs and high resource costs. I feel like the appropriate nerf would be something like a 50 inf resource deploy cost, with some sort of mechanic to undeploy / pack up the turret.
  19. Enemy Pool

AV turret is god-like. If you're lucky enough to flank a massive armor column or see an approaching one from high ground, the certs will roll in. What's really great is using it in large battles. You can choose targets smoking or on fire, and if you have a group near you with dumbfires or AV turrets, you can decimate literally a dozen tanks without dying.

This technique fails in smaller battles or if you're a lone wolf. Well, it doesn't fail but I've noticed if people know there's an AV near and he's alone, they will hunt you down with extreme prejudice because they know that one dude with the turret can throw a whole force into panic and disarray.

My best record is something like 6 sunderers in under a minute sniping from a hill in between TI and Crossroads. TI is also great to attack from the crown... if there's a lot of traffic bottle necked near TI's ammo tower/vehicle pad you can cause extreme butt-devastation by firing on fresh sunderers who spaz out and a lot of time will get their vehicle stuck or impeded while trying to escape, leading to 500+ certs and an angry /tell. I love it.

I don't think it's overpowered seeing as the user is extremely disadvantaged while using not. Not only are opportune spur of the moment shots difficult due to set-up time and the need for certain angle of ground, but the person is stationary and even if they fire and hide then fire, there is still a time limit before you can exit the turret.

The engineer now feels like a technician who uses heavy equipment, it's cool. They are now way more useful without becoming too powerful. I don't think the damage should be reduced that much if at all. There's a reason blockade armor and MBT armor exists.

It works great for precisions sniping immobile targets too. The best counter for an AV is another AV turret. Seeing as how it's tracking/movement is granular (moves in ticks, not smooth) the skill ceiling is relatively high because for those long shots you have to know how to maneuver the rocket so it will sail into the target (this is more for either troops or extreme range armor sniping where a sliver is peeking out from a rock etc.)

If everyone had the turret it could get a little crazy which makes me think once more people get it it will be nerfed. For now though the people who have it are spoiled. I like how the left out the render for the colored shield as a bonus for getting it early. I don't agree with that business model but it's nice for now lol.

The turret really shines and really feels 'op' when used in unison with other engineers turrets. A true game changer. The main thing that I like about it though is that it allows one guy to cause a huge commotion.
  20. Purple Pooka

From a distance, the AV Turret is kind of godly. Yet when you're trying to use it to defend / attack in an Amp Station assault, it's slow rate of fire become more of a liability. While you can fire and back away from the turret, it can be risky to use in those circumstances. I consider this to be one of its balancing features.