[BUG] Tomcats or A to A lock-on

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Majorpaynekills, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Majorpaynekills

PROBLEM:
    This needs to be brought up NOW. For anyone who is an ESF pilot, more so in connery, you will understand that aa lock-ons are an issue. I am tired of being sniped by A to A lock-ons from a distance.

Now i know what your going to say "well thats why they have flares", yes they do but considering the fact that once you use them, they can fire 3 lock-ons before you can use them again. 3 lock-ons can kill an ESF, which basically makes the flares useless. If they want to implement A to A lock-ons dont make them so easy to use.

The bigger problem is to new players who want to start flying, get upset because they cant do anything in the air but get locked on all the time and blown up within their first 5 minutes.

Solutions:
    1. Have the A to A lock-on damage dramaticly reduced to that it doesnt take away 45% or more of your health.

2. Have Flares as a passive and allow them to be used the most every 7 seconds (If the Lock-ons have the same stats).

3. Decrease the maximum range of the tomcats.

4. Increase the reload time but alot.

5. Have all of the above done to them because something needs to change.

Final Comments:
    Honestly i get that people are going to say "oh another guy gets killed by something and asks for a nerf". The people that say that either don't do air or use the tomcats on a daily basis. Also if you are a ground guy just get in the air for 5 minutes and see if what im saying isnt true.
    • Up x 1
  2. Hatesphere

the only thing I can agree to is having flares as a passive. other then that lock-ons are working as intended, hardly ever am I "sniped" from range by a lock on user. I am only ever granked by a squad of them, which is unavoidable but allows lower skill pilots to clear out aces.
  3. Gorbian

As a pilot on Connery, I can confirm that A2A lockons are not an issue.
    • Up x 4
  4. Leer

farm, flare/use terrain, fly away, come back, farm....

BTW: noobs will be farmed mercilessly with or without lockons. Sky Knights will always wipe them out on sight.
  5. Onical

i used to fly a lot back in beta when everyone and there mother where using lock ons (used to sit at crown trowing ammo boxes to the 15+ lock on HA siting on the landing pad shooting at flying aircrafts back when it used to be 3-4 hour long battles for crown) . use flares wait until the sound changes to the rocket inbound sound then fire the flare (it gives you a extra 3seconds or so if you feel pro wait a bit longer until you think the rocket is nearby) then you also have a few seconds where they can't lock on to you after you fired your flares and if you use stealth it takes even longer for them to establish a lock and you don't show up on the minimap unless your shooting or they q you. i actually stopped using flares sense on my server barely anyone uses lock on's for AA
  6. CorporationUSA

No, buff them. I wanna get more tells from butt hurt elitist pilots.
    • Up x 6
  7. CrimsonPig

Why'd you tag this as [BUG]? Seems like they are working as intended. With all of the aces in the air with thousands of hours logged in their cockpits, something like A2AM is needed to soften the high barrier of entry to the skies.

A single A2AM user by themselves usually isn't much of a nuisance. What makes them so terribly frustrating to go up against is when you've got a few guys sitting at max lockon distance spamming them. Their usefulness is exponentially increased when multiple users are using them.

Is it cheap? Maybe. Is it a completely valid weapon platform to use? Absolutely. Don't feel that you're entitled to anything in this game. Roll with the punches.

This is coming from someone that has logged nearly 30 days in a mossy and who has spent countless engagements being on both the giving and receiving ends (more so the receiving end lately...).
    • Up x 1
  8. TerminalT6

Why did you give this thread the [BUG] tag? You're already asking for a nerf, you don't need any other attention-getting devices.
  9. FnkyTwn

Pretty sure A2A lock-ons are a MLG Pro grade loadout. Maybe you just need to Learn 2 Fly? Rekt less?
  10. Majorpaynekills

I get what your saying, that newer players need something to take out aces. But even when i am using my mossie with maxed out fuel tanks and still cant get away.
  11. Majorpaynekills

Believe me i know how to fly i just have no "good" counters for A2A lock on
  12. Majorpaynekills

Honestly i wasnt even paying attention to that and just picked the first one. It wasnt for anymore attention
  13. Majorpaynekills

I totally get what your saying but my problem is not just from me but for new people i bring into the game. When ace pilots have 7-10 scythe or reavers sitting outside the warpgate or at a base at max render distance, with lockons just focus firing on people just spawning, new players dont even want to do it anymore. Thats the point im trying to get at, If it makes sense at all.
  14. Jawarisin

it's EXTREMELY rare to see an ace pilot with lock ons. They are overpowered and fun-less, so actual pilots usually make it a point not to use them.
    • Up x 2
  15. Prudentia

oh you again
    i was just about to get sad because i ate my last piece of chocolate, but you made me laugh again
    • Up x 1
  16. Jawarisin

<3 always here to put the fun in things!
  17. Prudentia

oh i no worries, you don't need to put the fun in something else. you are laughable enough on your own.
    pfff, people not using items because they are OP, that stuff just never gets old enough to not be worth laughing at everyone who thinks its true
  18. Jawarisin

And you make me laugh too ^^ There's multiple reasons people do self-less things, including moral, personnal ethic, empathy, principles.
    This is a case of principles. Just for the hell of it I went to look at your stats. Of course you would need to use OP weapons, look at them yourself! You need it. But good pilots or pilots that want to improve don't want the game to be boring easy.

That was a tiny tiny bit harsh, but well deserved :)
    • Up x 1
  19. Prudentia

oh i'm quite fine with getting a 2-3 K/D with a Slug Pandora and the Lasher as my primary Infantry weapons in the few times i played in the past months (arma3 just won me over)
    you on the other hand... you performed pretty much on the same level as me and slightly below. the most amusing fact is that you are only using Sniper Rifles and SMGs and your K/D is below my lasher/Bolter/Skyguard as AI weapon/Skywhaling one.
    great
    now i'm laughing even more about you...
    pls stop... :(
  20. Yuki10

You forgot to add that even with fully certed afterburners you still can't get outside of the lockon range without at least eating one or two rockets.

Flare's cool-down needs to be reduced drastically. And i know why he is talking about Connery specifically... usually around midnight pacific time we have a bunch of douchebags (about 10-15), many BR100, pull all lock-on, gank squads. Of course they get destroyed after they have enough enough solo pilots, but it is frustrating. It's one thing when a novice player uses them to deal with more experienced pilots....but when experienced pilots use them in groups of 10-15... it's annoying. They are just trolling everyone in the air.

If trolling is not allowed on forums, why is it allowed in the game?
    • Up x 1