To every light assault upset about the upcoming C4 changes.

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Ballto21, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Ballto21

that was just the first tank that came up in google search, more modern versions of tanks would be able to re aim, refire, and probably defend against plastic explosive pretty well considering theyre designed to not just explode easily,

and no im not saying placing plastic explosives on a tank in real life would be easy

however it is incredibly so in ps2. And heavy assault is supposed to be the anti vehicle class. i say take c4 away from LA entirely and refund the 700 certs to everyone, make them skirmishers designed for fighting infantry, taking objectives, and being general dicks like theyre both described as and meant to be
  2. MahouFairy

Why would you not want the free certs LA give when they rush towards you? HA destroy vehicles? Don't joke with me. The rockets barely scratch a tank now. Oh that is provided you can even hit one.

What LA is right now is a infantry skirmisher, with limited self defense capabilities against tanks. Without C4 what do you expect the LA to do when faced with a tank? Redeploy or die?

No one simply does not change a game just to suit one's playstyle.
  3. MrForz

Oh come on now. LA is pretty much a one trick pony already. Anyone with a bit of experience will have enough awareness to see them coming and either shoot them down or simply move away and laugh at them.

A single Light Assault lost in the woods with 2 C4 bricks is clearly what causes so much trouble to tank players. Not the hundred of heavy assaults, MAXes, Liberators, turrets, mines and other tanks that are deployed in an attempt to absorb an eventual crash.

What would be next? Engineers being immune to headshot damage from snipers when they're on their MANA turrets?
  4. Funguy

I imagine most of your couch warfare knowledge comes from movies and video games. However in real life let us look at history - this was a vaiable strategy used by japanese during ww2 - c4 on a stick, proved very effective

[IMG]

[IMG]

Dont forget tank crew had limited visinility it was nearly impossible to spot someone at your side

[IMG]

Also let us not forget the anti vehicle grenades which hardly do any demage against vehicles.

[IMG]

If they were so useless why were they even part of a viable strategy? Bottom line, in ps2 where you have 3rd person view and thermal sights and if you fall to c4 trap you have no right to complain but blame yourself for bring a tank too close to the enemy.
    • Up x 2
  5. Iridar51

Holy C4 on a stick. So how did it work? Was the user expected to survive?..
  6. NoblesseOblige

Yes, actually. You use the stick to press explosives onto the outside of the tank as it passes, and then blow it a safe distance away from you.
    • Up x 1
  7. Problem Officer

It's very convenient to forget the massive blind spot above tanks and their gunner mounts.
    Yeah how about that, nerf C4 effectiveness to only the top of tanks? :eek:
    That's what looks most armored after all. Revive that bomb-on-pole thing Funguy shared.
  8. Iridar51

Actually, top armor is one of the least armored parts, especially top of the tower.
  9. Aurghmeister

Hilarious thing is that same could be said about ESFs but there would be more people raging about that. The only way to KILL an ESF is to grab an ESF of your own and hunt it down. Why can't this be true with tanks too? Aa launchers or a burster max can't bring an ESF down without it escaping. (unless the pilot is suicidal)

So if infantry should be able to one shot tanks, give us the ability to one shot ESF.
  10. Demigan

You could also see it like this:
    For some in-game reason, we are back at WWII style of fighting, rather than radars extending for miles, missiles being fired from leagues away and tanks being immune to anything that doesn't penetrate armor, but quickly destroyed when it does.
    In this game, we also don't have to service tanks constantly, be weary for wear-and-tear (most tanks require lots of parts and extensive check-ups to keep running).

What we have are vehicles that are instantly created by nanites, with the possibility of create single-molecule armors that would be dozens if not hundreds of times stronger than the best armor we have today. As an example look at Graphene, it's one large molecule 100 times stronger than steel, use multiple layers (it's one molecule thick) and you can build armors at 1/100 the current thickness for the same effect. But with the same mechanics we can create the most perfect ammunition available, with chemical compounds made to release their energy in an as small as possible area to get the maximum effect.

C4 in Planetside 2 is probably more a leftover cultural meaning rather than the actual compound. Regular C4 in that size bricks has a far larger blast radius and would be more effective against the soldiers in Planetside.
    But it's got a small AOE right? especially for an explosive, at a mere few meters you are completely safe! rather than the dozens of meters that you would need in real life to come off unscathed without the possibility of a shard embedding itself into a vein. This means that it's a more concentrated, and probably some form of modern, multi-purpose shaped charge rather than current C4.
    Edit: This C4 can have a gyro stabilizer so it always faces the ground unless it sticks to a surface, has a high shaped power against the target beneath and a secondary explosive component against infantry.

The soldiers themselves are also build up on a nano-scale. They have probably been given lots of super-human abilities, like the ability not to show up on heat vision etc at short ranges unless they use highly adapted and specialized scopes (explains why the scopes have a short range), it also explains why we can almost run indefinitely, don't need to eat or go to the bathroom... they replaced it with high-yield fats and energy tissue that you can burn, you can run almost without cease, are more accurate even on the run, near death or when getting shot, and for some reason measurements have gone out of whack and 1m has become a lot longer (explains why we fight on a "mere" 4km, every player can also be a representation rather than actual size and every fight happens on larger scales, but to make it playable for us we are represented larger to simulate the hawks eyes and accuracy they have).
    • Up x 1
  11. MrForz

The concept of the nearly invincible tanks would be valid if the game didn't allow about anyone, and everyone to hop in tanks.
    • Up x 1
  12. Movoza

You have no idea how tanks work do you?
    The most modern tanks can withstand several rockets from conventional RPG's. That is, if they don't hit the same place twice. That is quite detrimental for any tank.
    But if we pit modern RPG's vs modern tanks, the tanks will be heavily damaged, if not destroyed, by one hit.
    The armour services a few purposes. Normal bullets (with more modern to withstand AP bullets), indirect explosions, minor explosions (grenades and such) and glancing blows of highly specialized anti-tank rockets. The latest armours in general use is reactive armour, which withstands the conventional RPG's, but tandem warheads have already been created to still cripple or destroy a tank.
    A shaped charge designed to destroy a tank will most certainly do so. The name C4 in this game is only to show it is about a high explosive, and with it's minute range but high damage if on a target it must be a shaped charge. There is no reason why the incredibly small tanks in PS2 would survive one charge.

Your argument of killing people is an amusing one. Tanks in RL will push lines and support, that is true. But no tank will just move into an area without pushing the enemy out. Being surrounded, even in a machine of death, is detrimental from every single point. From anti tank weapons (Explosions or special AP rifles), to simply walking up to the tank to kill the pilots or disabling the device.
    If you just go into an area, or stand at the edge of the battle with too little support or situational awareness that someone sneaks up on you, you deserve a big hit, or preferably destruction. I can say that everything you say is happening right now, except with the amount of C4 needed. A tank will be distracted by several targets or camping an important site, some people will, with great effort, evade other tanks, infantry and radar, come up from behind the tank and destroy it.
    I myself hardly ever get a C4 on my tank. Why? I don't think myself invincible and keep moving. I already viewed all possibilities where an LA can come from, and pay special attention to it. Or move again.
    You are in a tank that can start up or back up faster than an infantry. There is simply no way you can tell me you got a C4 because they where faster. If they surprised you from above, your placement was simply inadequate, as you left yourself open from attack. If they mob you, you took too much risk and they profited. Or you just didn't pay attention to the advancement of infantry and they sprung up on you.

Although I'm sad to see the C4 go, I think people can now finally look at the LA objectively for improvements. People where even against improvements that where suggested that replaced C4, because people only saw C4. How about ironic.
    • Up x 3
  13. MahouFairy

There was this quote from an actual American WW2 officer, where he said that the most dangerous distance from a tank is 35 yards, while the safest distance is 5 feet (or something like that).

This shows that tanks were never meant to be brought towards close proximity of infantry. Idiot tankers who do that and complain getting C4ed should really get some common sense.
    • Up x 2
  14. Problem Officer

PS2 tanks not IRL.
  15. Corezer

^^^This^^^
    ^^^That^^^

PS1 tanks were hard mother ****ers that one shot infantry and took 18 decimators to down, and no one complained, as one had to cert into the ability to even pull one, certs weren't so plentiful that you could have an MBT without giving anything up, and there was a long enough timer that if you carelessly used one you wouldn't get a second shot unlike now where it takes 5 minutes to have the resources for a second tank after pulling the first.

Not only that, but because there was no resource system, a player who was certed in tanks was playing some infantry and then needed to pull a tank to get rid of a problem could do just that, unlike this game where it's like "sorry, but you threw a grenade and now you have to wait on your unrelated piece of equipment." additionally since not everyone had an MBT you actually COULD make a difference and it actually WAS REASONABLE that someone who gave up infantry prowess have something powerful in exchange.

the expectation that you should have access to such a powerful force multiplier in exchange for sitting in spawn for 10 minutes is a bit ridiculous...
    • Up x 2
  16. asdfPanda

Sure, you know how you can do that? Get your DECIMATOR OUT :cool:.

That's because your argument is invalid and your opinions are unbased, as proven multiple times throughout this thread.

Not go after it while it is moving? Congratulations, you just figured out how to survive against the savagely OP LA C4 death fairies. STAY MOBILE.

Okay, let's say you're in a Magrider. Would it kill you(lol) to look at the sky once in a while, then? Or, get a secondary gunner maybe? Or, cert into Proximity Radar? There are many ways of countering C4 fairies.

And again, stay mobile; shouldn't be hard if you're in a Vanny or Swagrider. If you're in a Prowler, get Proximity Radar if it is such a problem.
  17. Ballto21

i dont think you realize i made this thread to contain LAs complaining about c4 since the front page of general discussion had at least 5-7 posts of them complaining about it.

And as someone who almost never tanks and has spent 280+ hours as light assault i can safely say the easiest thing to do in planetside is blow up friendly tanks

Second is to blow up enemy tanks without infantry help

third is blow up tanks with help.
  18. asdfPanda

And as someone who has over 1,200 kills in a prowler, I can safely say that avoiding being killed by C4 fairies is pretty dang easy if you have the right countermeasures and situational awareness. Mind you, I'm in a prowler that is stationary most of the time. Magriders and Vanguards can dodge and shoot.
  19. Ballto21

in not saying LAs arent avoidable

im saying the easiest way to do av and debatably grind certs is c4 LA
  20. asdfPanda

Even if that were true, which it isn't, why would that be a problem?