[Suggestion] Three things which are out of place for MBT gameplay

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Linus, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Linus

Three suggestions which would be nice to see worked for the next updates:

- The MBT ressources cost is too high compared to the other vehicles like the Liberator, the Sunderer and the Galaxy.
    As a single unit, those 3 vehicles have a greater impact on the game strategy (so why they cost less??)
    450 is a joke and it should be aligned to the cost of a Liberator (350) which one is much stronger btw or either increase a bit the Liberator cost instead and reduce a bit the cost of a MBT (both 400).
    Furthermore, the MBT suffers already from a limitation when a faction does not own any tech plant.
    It is the only vehicle with this kind of limitation (why not the same malus applied to the aircrafts?).

- The damage taken from collisions is outrageous: debris, randiom tiny objects, landscape hard egdes, etc.
    After one year, a MBT still can be insta-destroyed by hitting small objects randomly.
    This is absolutly ridiculous and I can barely understand why nothing was done to ammeliorate this situation.

- Stop the joke about the friendly roadkills of the MBTS !
    If you make it hard to roadkill the ennemy infantery, do the same to the friendly one!
    Once again this is logical and fair.

Most of the last updates which included some MBT changes were only nerfs to the weapons or to the abilities.
    For once, why could we not have a "quality of life" update for the MBT after all this time?
  2. XXBLACKATTACKXX

Seriously, A MBT Quality of life improvement is needed.

Crazy tanks physics
    Lack of ways to coordinate with gunner
    Can only run over friendlies.

These issues should be addressed and fixed.

I personally would like a way for the driver to designate targets for the gunner, Maybe a double Q tap and the target is highlighted and marked, so I can communicate with gunners w/o mics.

All in all, better sliding and Terrain interaction and more ways to coordinate with gunners is what needs to happen.
    Oh and tanks should provide cover to friendlies, not eat them. There is a reason why infantry tend to not like supporting friendly armor in the area... Especially VS infantry.
    • Up x 2
  3. Flag

That has all to do with how latency interacts with the game, not just the MBTs.
  4. FigM

The biggest elephant in the room is main gun turret stabilization.

All tanks need to have it, not just Magrider. Current limitation forces "slow" gameplay and greatly limits tactical gameplay, artificially lowers the skill cap, limiting potential
    • Up x 2
  5. Trooper4211

Except mags don't have it either. The mag's "stabilized" gun is due to the fact that it floats making the whole tank more stable. However all tank secondary guns are stabilized so I just don't understand why they can't make the damned main gun act the same way.
  6. Thrustin

Could you please not write it bloody purple? It is hard to read with the black background.

Other than that, I agree with the purpose of the thread. Vehicles, in particular the MBT have the shorter end of the stick. With every patch it continues on like this.
  7. MagMourner

Couldn't agree more - I rely on the casual gunner to make the MBT more viable (especially the Magrider, but so too with Vanguard and Prowler) and there are some very good gunners out there. However - there is nothing worse than a random-gunner-matic trying to shoot anything and everything basically saying "I'm here - come and get me"...especially when I don't like chucking people out of vehicles.

But - any love for MBTs is going to get my vote.
  8. Linus

Sorry for your eyes :cool:
  9. Flag

I have a radical suggestion.

Hook up with outfits (and play mostly/only with them), and use voice coms (either in game or 3rd party).
    As long as the involved parties aren't brain dead you should do fine.
  10. MrJengles

Agreed.

In case anyone is interested, I made a thread on that here. I'm sure there are others around too. Feel free to support / comment.

Nice idea.
  11. Alarox

1.) Yes.
    2.) Yes.
    3.) It is about client-side hit detection, not that infantry are easier to kill on your side.
    Bonus) I'm going to be making a mega-thread about ideas for the unscheduled MBT update soon.
    • Up x 1
  12. Chal

Personally I never really notice the cost since me and my gunner just alternate tanks if need be but can see it would be annoying for people with randoms gunning.

Collision damage is very annoying the instant deaths from driving over seemingly innocuous bits of terrain drive me nuts.

Sorting out friendly roadkills is more of an engy QoL than a tank one. Only way that would effect me is I wouldn't have to whipser them to say sorry or "V 8". ;)

I've got nothing against the other tanks getting similar main gun turret stabilization as the Mag it might make tank fights more fun. However any time there has been talk of the Mag getting any kind of buff from main gun velocity/damage to base speed increase NC and TR dudes always come back with "but you have turret stabilization" so if everyone gets it we should get something to balance their gain.
    • Up x 1
  13. Thrustin

It's ok. Little piece of stinking turd.

Anyways, I think MBT need to be more rare, but a lot more powerful. Splash on all main guns need to be brought back. Additionally they need a co-axial machine gun. Its pathetic that tanks running AP have to drive away from charging infantry.
  14. Pikachu

Harasser works perfectly fine at running enemies over. I never had any trouble with MBT, it's lightnings and flashes that are practically incapable of running enemies over.
  15. Flag

Whatever the vehicle, the only thing you have to keep in mind is the combined latency from the client of the driver, to the server, and to the potential victim.
    And then drive predicting their movement with that timeframe in mind.

That is all. The particular vehicle used doesn't -actually- matter as long as you're driving in a way that means your vehicle will be where they're going to be in <insert compounded delay here>. Not an exact science, but close enough.

Because at the end of the day, the calculation for infantry mowing is done on the victim's client, not the vehicle operator. Which is in stark opposition to weapons fire, which is done on the side of the guy shooting.
    • Up x 1
  16. Jetlag

I wonder how long it will take everyone to realise how UP the mag is when you give its sole saving grace(fighting on the move) to every NC and TR spawning their stock vehicles.
    Keep in mind that experienced Vanguard and Prowler drivers can already achieve this using 3rd person view.
  17. Kalendric

Totally agree on the cost. As it is, it's far too easy to blow up Tanks. They're basically free kills for Liberators and it's trivial for anyone with a bit of experience to kill them with C4 an LA and a bail out from an aircraft. The net effect is that people only pull MBT's when they're winning, which means that the tanks have nothing to fight and end up camping spawnrooms out of a thirst for xp.

If tanks were cheaper, people would be more inclined to pull them even when it didn't look so likely that they might win, thus we might get more epic vehicle battles going between bases - as it was meant to be. At least instead of this magic sunderer teleport trick that seems to be being pushed nowadays.
    • Up x 1
  18. FaLI3N

As flag said, vehicle collision damage against infantry is client-side on their end, not yours. Lightnings have more troubles running people over because it is so easy to Kobe Bryant right over the top of them (jump over the lightning) and flashes are hard to estimate exactly where they will be on their screen when you run them over because the flash is so small. Always aim in front of the infantry you are trying to run over and behind friendlies you are trying to avoid.

The lightning is fine for running people over as long as you have max rank stealth and approach out of their line of sight. I crushed 30 people in 2 minutes on Esamir because they were all cowering behind a rock on flat ground and there was a nice big hill just before the rock. They couldn't see me coming and I killed most of the people in each run with only a few noticing and jumping in time.
  19. quatin

Turret stabilization on all tanks will definitely be an indirect nerf to Magriders, but I think a serious buff to the lightning where it won't matter. Racer 3, Lightning AP, turret stabilized. Welcome your new harasser overlords.
  20. Flag

Hardly.
    You still can't repair on the move, nor does it come with a speed boost.
    And while the directional armour on the lighting is good, it's not what the old composite for the harasser was.