Thoughts on CTF?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RabidIBM, Dec 12, 2022.

1. RabidIBM

We've had it a bit now, I have my own opinions but I'd like to hear other people's. So, what are other people's thoughts on capture the flag in Planetside 2?
  2. JibbaJabba

The patch on PTS right now will fix the major problem with it. Still has a bug regarding lattice availability and flag dropping.

The mechanics and flow are a lot of fun and a refreshing addition to the game.

That said, it does NOT work well on some bases and should be reverted.

Amerish

The Bastion <- Ruined, should revert.
    Shrouded Skyway <- Previously on of my favorite bases. Was very skeptical but thumbsup!
    Splitpeak Pass <- Ruined, should revert.
    Onatha Southwest Gate <- Unsure, need more fights to know. Leaning thumbsup.
    Wokuk Watchtower <- Unsure, need more fights to know.
    Crux Headquarters <- Ruined, should revert.
    West Pass Watchtower <- Ruined, should revert.

Indar

J908 <- Fantastic. It works fantastic here. Thumbsup.
    Indar Excavation Site <- Ruined, should revert

Esamir

Mattherson's Triumph <- Ug. I hate to give a thumbsdown here. It works well but this base was fantastic before. Thumbsdown.
    Elli Tower <- Unsure. Need more fights to know. Feel this might be like Matherson's. Great, but better before.
    Andvari South Bank <- Unsure, need more fights to know.
    The Traverse <- Fantastic. thumbsup.
    Baldur Amp Station <- Ruined. should revert. This was a great amp station design before. Very disappointed.
    Jord Amp Station <- Thumbsdown but not a strong one. Maybe revise it and give another go.
    Spral Oasis <- thumbsup.
    Andvari Barracks <- thumbsup.

Hossin

Fort Drexler <- Unsure, need more fights. Leaning thumbsdown here. Previous design was good.
    Hunter's Blind <- Unsure, haven't played once. This base needed some help though.
    Hurakan Secure Storage <- Unsure, need more fights. lean towards thumbsup
    Naum Marsh Compound <- Unsure, haven't played once.
    Ixtab Water Purification <- Unsure, haven't played once.

Oshur

Astira Hydroelectric <- I haven't been on oshur in ages. Continent was great then ruined.
    • Up x 2
  3. JibbaJabba

And can I just add:

FFS put CTF on one of the contstruction bases on Hossin. There are NINE of those base types. If it screws it up, there are still 8 more.
    • Up x 3
  4. AuricStarSand

I was at the Bastion yesterday. I'm not sure if it's good enough or not. Was a 3 faction fight.

Yet I wouldn't revert the Bastion, I'd just make the flag set better if so.
    As the Ascent is a tower nearby already having the regular 3 hold ways.

So the bastion being a 3 fight area with flags? That's kinda sweet.
    I'm not disagreeing that it's not edited distant wise or set right.

I'm just stating that I like that two nearby towers have different means to win.
    Esp since most flag bases I've seen so far are only for one faction verse one faction bases.

Maybe the flag runner has to run that mile wall the bastion has? not sure if they used that west side wall for flag runs.
    the bastions best fights are usually B. The west side is better than the east side. Not really a fan of the east parked sunderers. B to the far West walls are better. If the tower defenders have equal ground to run that wall as well, maybe the tower requires a jump.

If not, suggest run a 2nd flag to the grassfield north or northwest of the bastion? & edit trees.
  5. RabidIBM

Regarding these, I've said before that if they're not going to finish the (8 years ago when Hossin was new the construction sites were supposedly place holders for bases to come later), then they should just clear them entirely and let builders build on the construction sites.
  6. Botji

I think its hot garbage and from what I can see, so does the majority of players as well because no one likes to fight in the CTF bases unless its a total zergfest which guarantees the base is captured ASAP and they can move to another base and actually have a fight.

Defenders dont like them either because the attackers basically always zerg them like crazy due to how favoured the defending side is in these bases. The longer time to reset might help but I suspect it will do nothing, attackers still need to zerg to have enough people to both attack and hold the flag spawns as well as hold the drop off points while the defenders realistically only need to focus on either one of these -> attackers needs a lot more people to secure everything -> defenders do not like to defend, always being zerged and the main way to defend these bases will still be to dump even more pop on it as defenders and sweep the drop off points.

Needing to secure them for 30 seconds or whatever wont really matter aside from completely shutting down any attempts to clutch the defense by a few defenders -> even less reason for defenders to try when being zerged.

Normal bases with points, even if you have less pop you might be able to flip a point or two to stall/drag out the fight until the pop can even out with reinforcements. CTF bases are 100% pointless to secure the drop off points unless you can hold them all and reset the entire fight, its a all or nothing thing all the way through and that is why its hot garbage because unless you have the pop to do it, there is no point in trying. You might hold the point for 29 seconds and then the attackers retake it and drop the last flag, your efforts were meaningless(especially in larger bases with multiple points and flag spawns).
    • Up x 2
  7. Twin Suns

As somebody who has quit PS 2. I can tell you with the utmost confidence that CTF won’t bring me back. LOL

o7
  8. JibbaJabba

I think you summed up the experience I've seen in all the "ruined, should revert" bases I mentioned above. There are a couple others where I think the CTF gameplay might work, but even then the base was more fun as a non-CTF.

Have you found the CTF fun anywhere at all?

I've seen a few spots, listed above, but if they opted to revert the whole CTF change everywhere I would prefer it.
  9. Botji

Not really because of the bases being CTF, the only thing that fits that is the rare and few times I have reset the base as a defender against big overpops since they were busy camping spawn and the few people on the point were not expecting anyone to show up... but that is being 'fixed' with the patch.

It just kinda goes as natural that if the attackers have enough people to secure the flag spawn + drop off point from the defenders it means the attackers have close to or more than double the pop there or massively outskills(either with actual skill or skillsuits/MAXes) etc. Hard to get a fun fight going under those circumstances, for either side.
    • Up x 1
  10. melioa

so, who's actual idea was it to implement CTF into PS2?
    • Up x 1
  11. JibbaJabba

So I've listed a few bases where it seems to work. But if they completely rolled it back and got rid of CTF I would not object. at all.

Is there anyone who actually wants to keep it? at all? on any bases?
    • Up x 1
  12. The Wolf

I 100% do not like it. The old point system was more enjoyable and simple. This is adding too much complexity and taking it away from its previous planetside 1. The point of PS2 was to be similar to PS1 because its a sequel to it. They have destroyed that thought. Most mechanics were copied from Planetside 1 to add to planetside 2. Hence the points to begin with. Only difference was you don't have to actually hack the control point. So really it has taken away from what this game is and it needs to die.

All they really did was polish a good game with a turd and tell you here enjoy this crap. To bring "players" back who turn around and started leaving again because the update was bad.
    • Up x 3
  13. The Wolf

For those who don't believe me, that is fine but here is a steam population link from the beginning of PS2.
    https://steamcharts.com/app/218230
  14. Wallonthefloor

If there was ever an update I wanted them to revert, this is the one. Please as a person with more hours in this game than most others listen to me when I say this devs, it is bad! Make Koltyr ctf or something and open that as an additional content.
    • Up x 4
  15. The Wolf

That actually makes sense.
  16. Twin Suns

Just picturing CTF with 48v48 or 96v96…*violently vomits* on the DEVS office couch.
    • Up x 2
  17. Botji

Tribes 2 was a really good game and I think it had maximum 64v64 matches but that game and maps were built around that working with CTF.
  18. JibbaJabba

One of the few threads on the forum where we aren't at each others throats. And the feedback is possibly unanimous.

I'm gonna self-report my own post, just so Mithril is aware of the player feedback in here.
    • Up x 2
  19. LodeTria

They made the classic mistake of putting the objective right in the defender tower. Naturally this leads to rampant over-pop to actually take it.

It at least gives LA a unique way of interacting with the placements/points, since before they was kinda **** in your typical pointhold.
  20. Botji

Its even more basic than that, attackers have 2 objectives(arguably 3) they need to be able to hold to capture the base.

1. Flag spawn
    2. Flag deposit
    3. Their Sundies to keep the fight going

Defenders on the other hand have two objectives, keeping the flag spawn secure and taking control over the flag deposit location but they only need to do one to defend the base = defenders can throw 100% of their pop on one objective and win while the attackers needs to split their forces to keep both secure at all times = attackers wants at least double the pop to even consider bothering with the base because otherwise they can very quickly lose any and all progress they have done if the defenders simply changes what objective they are going for.

The PS2 CTF mode is flawed in its core design.
    • Up x 2