Thoughts on Ambuser Jump Jets

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Belarod, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Belarod

After playtesting the new Ambusher Jump Jets for about an hour, I do not particularly like that this is on a cooldown regardless of the amount burn time you use. I also feel these are better suited to be an "F" function ability, and not tied to the standard Jump ability. It limited standard movement and forces you to use the jets just to jump minimal amounts, which becomes difficult when all you want to do is jump up on a box.

Also the maxed out Flight Suits did not seem to reduce the recharge time at all. I would like to see increased burn time for greater distance or possibly speed if reducing the cooldown too low is a concern.

Lastly Safe Fall Implant is required or you can take massive amounts of damage using these, maybe that's intended. It just adds a limiting factor to buildouts.
  2. Corezer

if these got added as an "F" function I would be ok with them taking off C4.

there, I said it!
  3. Liewec123

i think it'd be better if it worked like the other jets, click for a little boost, hold for a big boost, constantly recharging.
    (basically a forward thrusting version of Icarus Jets)
  4. Demigan

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if the Ambusher would work like other jets rather than instantly go on cooldown, but I think you guys don't have all the information yet. For example, the maxed flight suit actually does cut off a second from the jumpjet recharge.

Here's the info Iridar, Movoza and me have found so far, keep in mind that any distance I mention could be 1 or 2 meters off:
    • Recharge is 8 sec, 7,5 sec, 7 sec, 6,5 sec, 6 seconds.
    • The jumpjet starts with a burst of speed, but keeps jetting afterwards for a short while as long as you keep the spacebar pressed. Releasing the spacebar gives you more control and allows you to jump smaller distances.
    • As long as you press the spacebar you'll keep accelerating in that direction, turning while doing this means you can still change direction. Hiting a wall to stop your momentum allows you slight walljumping ability.
    • Range and height of the ambusher jets does not change regardless of the level you've certed in.
      • Sprinting or walking before/during the jump does nothing for your speed.
    • When holding no buttons, you go almost straight up. You can reach almost 2 floors with it
    • When holding forwards you reach +/-10m height and can reach up to 38m (42m with catlike) distance
    • When holding backwards you reach +/-22m distance (with catlike, didn't test it without)
    • Strafing while jumpjetting severely limits the range you jump and gives you little to none sideways distance.
    • Momentum you had sticks with you (but apparently not your walk/sprintspeed). Jumping from a height, out of an ESF or using a jumppad means you have to fight that speed first before you go into the direction you want to go in. Jumping out of an ESF is near suicide.
    As far as I'm concerned, the current ambusher jet is better than all current one's with the most versatility. Making it better is A-OK, but it should be for the right reasons.
  5. Movoza

These jets require near equal height in most cases, so if they can reach you, you had an infantry route to your tank open.
  6. Corezer

I'm saying this jet in conjunction with another...
  7. Demigan

I think that what Movoza got at, is that if you used the Ambusher jets the tank was simply not paying attention and the ambushers werent that necessary, and if you used the other jets to get to the target, nothing changed from the status-quo. So there would be virtually no reason not to ban c4 because of it
  8. Corezer

well in a test tube, I don't need a carbine as my inquisitor will always be enough, but this is planetside, a game of near limitless possibility. What ambushers would do for the rocklet, combined with what it would do in infantry gameplay (most importantly squad desirability) I see as adequate compensation.

would it mean that rockets, rocklets, archers, MANAs, and other, non-sapper style AV might need adjustments when LA gets released from being pigeon holed into 1 very specific and not always viable niche? Maybe, but we can cross that bridge when we get there. If you don't try, you can't win.
  9. Demigan

I don't see much the ambushers can do for the Rocklet. The relatively low DPS and the in-your-face range would mean you are completely without cover against opponents that can withstand your attacks for a long time, get out of your range faster than you can recharge the ambushers and follow, can OHK you and even just get out of the vehicle and gun you down because you need time to switch to your Carbine. We know this because even in a test tube scenario the rocklets aren't going to do much.

There's no "might" need adjustment. There's just "they need adjustment". All infantry AV suffers from the lack of (speed) mobility of infantry vs the (speed) mobility of vehicles. They also suffer from a much lower damage output, much shorter effective range, lower accuracy and much more vulnerability because of the low healthpool of the infantry units. Just about the only thing infantry have in their advantage is their small size and their ability to traverse more terrain.

Ofcourse free infantry AV needs some limitations, we don't want solo infantry to go toe-to-toe with resource-costing vehicles. So rather than bumping up the free infantry AV, we simply introduce resource-costing infantry AV. Compared to a tank that gives you speed, armor and health on top of the firepower, simply having an AV weapon that can (as long as you have ammo) go toe-to-toe with enemy vehicles isn't much of a dealbreaker for vehicles.
  10. Corezer

no, might is correct.

they might adjust current weapons... or vehicle resistances, or vehicle weapon traversal speeds, or their maneuverability, or damage, or introduce a new gameplay mechanic, or new weapons, or defensive equipment.
  11. Demigan

Ok let's put it like this: They have to change something to give infantry the AV capability to deal effectively with tanks.
  12. Corezer

yes, and for that change to happen and for us to have a better game overall, the current system needs to be changed. In reality, we call such things "investment" and if you were playing chess and not checkers, you might see the value of such an investment.

This is why my first post ended with the sentence it ended with.
    • Up x 1
  13. Ximinetto

New cloak for infiltrators please...or Buff nanocloak,the time activated it's ridiculous.