Those who have constant 60 FPS @1080p in 96vs96 battle, what's your CPU?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LUCAGRABACR, Dec 7, 2017.

1. LUCAGRABACR

Thinking about upgrading my CPU soon, and to those who can stay at constant 60 fps @1080p in 96vs96 battles (or more), what kinda CPU do you have? So I can have a better idea of what kind of CPU I should get / what kinda performance I'll get from my purchase.

Thanks! :)
  2. LtBomber1

i5 6600k
    • Up x 1
  3. Skraggz

i7 6700k Here
    • Up x 1
  4. LtBomber1

i7 is somewhat overkill atm, since parallel processoring is not that much needed. However it is a solid investment in the future. I strongly suggest getting the "k" variant of any model, since it can overclock itself to some degree.
  5. PlanetBound

6. ObiVanuKenobi

There are like 20 different i7 processors and most of them won't get 60 in big battles.
    • Up x 2
  7. AtckAtck

Normally i play around 90-144 fps (capped by v-ync) in very big battles i go somewhere from 60-80. BUT i play WQHD (2,560x1,440) thats 4 times the pixels from normal HD (1920x1080), so the workload sure is a lot higher.
    All Ultra/High, shadows off, smoothing off, bloom off.
    I got i7-4770k watercooled (at the moment not oc'ed, because i am lazy and the power is not needed)
    @3.9GHZ, 32 GB DDR3 1866, GTX 1080, game on SSD, running win 10 pro.
    [PC sure is somewhat older by now, definetly not new, but still packs decent power.]
  8. Towie

PS2 absolutely LOVES high CPU instruction throughput more than cores/threads (beyond around 4 cores you're not going to see the big gains, such as going from 2 to 4).

Intel still has the highest IPC - so a high frequency Intel with 4+ cores is likely to be best in PS2 at this moment in time.

I have a i5-2500k overclocked to 4.3Ghz and it runs PS2 well, although it's difficult to tell when it struggles as I also have G-Sync and that smooths out the bumps brilliantly. I haven't felt the need to upgrade - mostly because Intel has not improved significantly since that 2011 CPU (shame on you Intel) until this year, when they rushed Coffee Lake out the door in response to Ryzen.

In fact, if you play other (more recent) games or do office stuff too, the Ryzen is a solid choice and you won't be in the 'new CPU = new motherboard' cycle that Intel forces you into.

Buy anyway - there's a lot of good processors out there, just look for high frequency / high overclock if possible and 4+ cores. If your motherboard supports it, an o/c i5-6600k will be significantly faster than a G4560 and a simple slot in upgrade.
  9. CutieG

i5 4440
    It's a locked 3.1GHz CPU.
    It runs the game at 40 FPS in large battles and stays above 60FPS in most other situation.

If I didn't have a 144Hz monitor, I would be perfectly content playing the game like this. Planetside has reached a point where getting 60FPS isn't all that hard anymore.

For the record, I'm running it off a SATA SSD to reduce load times and my GPU is an overclocked 960 at a bit below 1500MHz core clock and at 4306MHz memory clock, according to MSI Afterburner.
    I'm not using potato graphics, but shadows are off as is that other option that is supposed to reduce mouse lag but actually increases it. (And I really wish they weren't, because the lighting in the game actually allows you to occasionally see people come around corners due to backlight, if you do have shadows enabled)

An equivalent to my CPU would be one of the current generation of i3s, which are now full quadcores with higher IPC at higher clock rates. If you are building a new PC, you'd be hard-pressed to get something weaker than my rig.
  10. MonnyMoony

11. Liewec123

i've recently upgraded to an i7-7700k and a GTX 1080 ti.
    usually anywhere between 120 and 150 fps at smaller bases with everything maxed
    and sticking well above 60 in full battles,

hilarious i still get the yellow gpu warning on the fps counter,
    thats planetside for you, the best graphics card in the world isn't good enough to satisfy this 5 year old game XD
  12. Longasc

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
  13. The Shady Engineer

Really?

I'm running an i5 6600k paired with a 1070 and I'm struggling to pull 45 frames in 96v96 playing on a mix of medium/high graphics with shadows off. Especially when vehicles and explosions are involved. Are you playing on low graphics?
  14. Colodie

Stock Clocked i5-7600k

Everything ultra except shadows wich i turn off
  15. Rydenan

R7 1800x
  16. CutieG

Your configuration must be ******.
    Are you running anything in the background? Did you accidentally activate "Game Mode"? Are your GPU drivers up to date? Do you have iTunes/Adobe products/other shady **** installed? Do you maybe get thermal throttling? Are you playing 1080p or is your resolution higher?
    • Up x 1
  17. LtBomber1

Yes, i have 80-100+ fps in Bioclusterfuk. I have shadow and flora off, for visibility... Everything ultra/high.
  18. adamts01

Doesn't Game Mode just keep everything running at 100%? I keep mine on balanced to lower power usage and it seems to do well at scaling up when it needs to.
  19. CutieG

Game mode helps with framerates if you are a fruit who runs a game that your rig literally cannot handle in a playable configuration.
    In all other instances it actually makes framerates worse.
  20. The Shady Engineer

Background programs, nothing too intensive on either the processor or gpu. Heh, no. They are. Thermal throttling is possible, I'll keep an eye out. Playing on 1080p yeah.