Those construction "changes" ...

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by iller, Jul 16, 2019.

1. iller

Don't get me wrong, the Infantry tower has NEEDED a doubling in HitPoints ever since .... well, ever.
    ...and the Cortium consumption discount of modules is actually a really significant "buff" in my humble opinion.

But I feel like this will only make player's bases even MORE often-ly avoided by the general playerbase. And that given the option, I would MUCH rather have this:

[IMG]

...than ALL of the consumption reductions in the world. Because this is what most base builders could agree is the most crucial step to making bases actually Relevant again. And it's actually a very subtle change in Radius or Distance from Hex/Lattice bases but it would completely change the meta of "Alerts" over night.

It wouldn't address the massive problem of a single Magrider crew being able to long distance "Scoot & Shoot" down every Base Turret you own WHILE you're repairing it. (Because honestly, it's NOT the Sundy Garage or the PillBoxes having too little HP that's the real problem when it comes to keeping a player Base up... it's the problem of just how incredibly easy it is to snipe all the Turrets down first from long distance while a player base that could be Swarming with ground Lockon heavies or AV turret Engies is just sitting there with their thumbs up their Butts unable to even reach that one snipe-happy MBT).

And then there's still the issue of the Cortium silo itself. Increasing the HP of a few "Hardpoints" around the Base doesn't stop a couple of Basilisks from firing down into a base straight at the Silo and demolishing it in less than 30 seconds. The Silo itself doesn't so much need an across the board Hitpoint buff, as it needs a kind of Scaling Hitpoint system or better yet: SCALING MODULE REPAIR hitpoint regeneration function based on its total Cortium reserves so that overlapping Repair modules would regen a Silo with 40k+ Cortium like it was Xmen's Wolverine

Other than that I can't really think of anything that's "easy" to address with these proposed changes on the Test server. I DON'T KNOW what would ultimately fix the Turrets getting sniped issue. But I do feel like part of that problem would work itself out just by allowing bases to be built slightly closer to the main Lattice flow where that lone wandering MBT who is sniping our Turrets would be that much more likely to encounter OUR allied Armor (or harassers) on the ground simply due to finally being in Ear-shot of the main Hex Bases

Hope this gets taken into consideration (but I'm not gonna hold my breath since it seems like the only reason this Test server even exists is to keep a couple people on REDDIT happy)
    • Up x 3
  2. Liewec123

imho they doomed construction when they removed the invulnerability for walls with a repair module,
    now walls simply won't serve their purpose.
    construction could have become all about blocking the path of the enemy zerg,
    but try that now and your walls will be dead the moment the zerg looks at them.

i remember some truly epic battles over that really big bridge on indar, one faction would always build a fort on the middle plateu between the two bridges and it'd be an epic push for the attackers and an epic siege for the defenders!

i do agree with you that no construct zones need to shrink, but i still don't think construction will be used by anyone except the OS farmers ruining lattice fights, because bases are just too squishy without invulnerable walls.
    • Up x 1
  3. LaLaBear

I used to agree with this until they added the interactive modules. You can still have semi-invincible bases, they just require a little more babysitting/coordination. I think the construction system is going in the right direction, though it still needs more tweaks. This PTS update is probably one of the first that I actually support in months.
    • Up x 1
  4. TR5L4Y3R

i agree with a no build/no deployzone reduction for laticebases ..
  5. Clipped!

Personally I think they need to increase the range at which turrets target ground and air vehicles both without receiving fire and when returning fire to help prevent vehicle snipers and also increasing the silo's health and resistances a bit along with a repair QOL change. These turrets should be able to endure a very large amount of weapon fire as they're both stationary and easy to spot/fire upon at range. Repair modules should be repairing at a flat rate of 200-300 with walls, silos, and gate shields getting a 50-100% bonus to repair module repair rate if that's a significant improvement. If I knew the actual values the repair modules used I could be quite a bit more specific on a balanced improvement.

Oh, and spawn tubes desperately need an increase to their small arms resistance as one person can easily kill it before the 15 second respawn timer even with a repair module. These bases are supposed to be a bastion against zergs or at least a weaponized heavy roadblock, one person shouldn't be able to kill it's spawn logistics that fast even with smart placement of pain spires and repair modules.
  6. Shadowdev

They seriously need to reduce the no-build zones around bases, put back the repair modules needing to be destroyed first before a building wall or silo can be damaged and put back the turrets accuracy and damage they used to do, they're almost worthless now.
  7. SilentSueRia

The No-Build zones, as they are now, really really are oversized and need shrinking.

There is a bit of HP issues with a lot of the base parts on top of the lack of defensive response from the Turrets. I do have an idea to address it though. Research! A a new player built base building. Making it the research building, where you can finally add research mechanics to the game. Allow the existing base parts to have 1 or 2 slots for add-ons from the research building. Modules can have 1 slot, all other parts can have 2. You can have a wide variety of Add-on's you can research but only slot a limited amount of them to your base. You can best bet that additional HP Add-ons and Damage Resistance Add-ons can exist for all base parts, but by no means the only Add-ons.

Silo's could also have storage expansion add-ons where you could add 25,000 more storage capacity for each Storage expansion Add-on you slot, also Extend Coverage Area Add-ons, or even Silo Networking Add-ons (but any Silo networks could only have a max limit of 5 Silo's linked together within that supply network).
    Turrets could have Targeting Range Extension Add-ons and Additional Target Type Add-ons (i.e. An anti-Vehical Turret could have an Add-on that allows it to target Infantry as well, in additional to have a targeting range boost add-on)
    Vehicle Bays could have Add-ons to allow for making Faction Specific Main Tanks or finally be able to create that 5 Turret Colossi Tank. (If the Colossi Tank is finally added to the game, the possibility of making it exclusively summoned from player bases could be an option). Could Also have a Ground Vehicle repair Add-on that has a 30m or 45m range too it.
    Structural Shield Module Add-ons could provide a small shield to player base parts, with a mild amount of HP, perhaps 15% of the base parts normal HP, but the shield itself would not gain any damage resist bonuses from a repair modules add-on.
    Repair Modules could have an Add-on that adds a mild 10% damage resistance to player base parts from all damage types.
    Sundy Garage and Vehicle Gate Shield could have an Anti-Infantry Shielding Add-on, that blocks Infantry from walking threw the shield.
    Skywall Shield Modules could have an OBS Resistance charge Add-on, that could survive a very limited number of Orbital Strikes. An Add-on for resisting the EMP hits for a little while longer could also be an option. Could even have the only shield damage resist module that adds damage resist to player base shields gain from the Structural Shield Add-on, by 15% damage resist.
    Alarm Modules could be setup with an Add-on that also gives it the additional ability act as a recon dart, motion sensor or scout radar.
    Elysium Spawn Tubes could have an Add-on that allows players spawning in to be cloaked for 3 seconds after leaving the spawn tube, as well as, have an Add-on Option to give a player 15% damage resistance buff to a specific damage type for 6 seconds after leaving the spawn tube.
    Pain Field Towers could have an Add-on that add's 5m to its pain field range, an Add-on that adds 15% damage resist to small arms fire (bonus stacks with repair modules add-on).
    All modules could have an add-on that adds 15% damage resistance to small arms fire (bonus stacks with repair module add-on).
    The Bunker could have Add-ons that support a Spawn Tube and an add-on for Anti-Infantry Pain Field, inside the bunker.

Each player base part that allows for the creation of a vehicle or change out of your infantry class could have Add-ons that allow people to get special weapons and abilities only accessible from player base parts and even require those weapons and abilities to need Cortium to power those special weapons, in which Cortium cells could only be purchased at the player bases. The Weapon or ability could have an added Cortium slot to your usual Infantry class or vehicle, that normally isn't there when purchasing your inf class or vehicle. Any player base part supporting those Infantry or Vehicle Cortium add-on slots would have to use the buildings Add-on slot, making it where the base builders have to choose between the buildings special add-on abilities. If a base builder wants you too have both Cortium Weapons slot option and Ability Slot options on your Infantry character, that means they can't add-on HP boost, damage resist boost, Anti-Inf Pain Fields, nor a spawn tube to the Bunkers Direct Add-on slots. (but then again if this idea was actually implemented, the devs would likely force the limit of choosing between Cortium weapons slot or Abilities slot at the player menu anyways.)

I think this direction would be the most engaging for player made base content as well as help make player bases more desirable. Especially need something to really boost up player bases, now that the Bastion can roll in and decimate everything. The only things stopping the Bastion from being treated like it is OP are 1, you can only spawn 1 per faction on a map, and 2, you have to have a well organized Outfit that can actually both man and defend it.

Beefing up player bases seems like an appropriate alternative response to the addition of the Bastion Fleet Carriers. Not always going to be practical to expect your faction to always have an outfit with a Bastion carrier ready to be thrown in.
    • Up x 1
  8. SilentSueRia

Cortium Ability slots could be a completely additional slot, only acquirable from player base parts with the appropriate add-on, for your Infantry class or Vehicle.
    The slot could allow you an additional feature, you normally wouldn't have or would have to choose between.
    For instance, if you usually gear up a Stalker Infiltrator with Nanoweave Armor, the Cortium slot could also allow you to add Adrenaline Pump to the Cortium additional slot, but at the cost of requiring a Cortium cell and consuming the Cortium inside it, to kepe that ability working, other wise you loose the Adrenaline Pump buff (consumes only during sprinting).
    Perhaps you spawn a Flash, usually have a Wraith Cloak and Vehicle Stealth. You could now have either Mine Guard added (consumes when shielding against blast) or choose a different configuration, perhaps you want To use Scout Radar and Stealth while having the Wraith option consume the Cortium cell instead.
    Or a Harrasser with Gate Shield, Vehicle Stealth plus Cortium slotted Composite Armor that consumes the Cortium cell when getting hit.
    Stealth Sundy with Nanite Proximity Repair on the Corium slot consuming the corium cell.
    Light Tank With Both Mine guard and Flanker Armor (flanker armor consumes the cortium cell when taking damage).
    ANT with a Transport Cloak and Turbo Boost that consume the Cortium cell, or an ANT with Scout Radar, Vehicle Stealth and the Reinforced Armor consuming the Cortium sell when taking damage.
    Faction Fighter could have Ejection, Vec Stealth and the Composite Armor consumes the Cortium sell when hit.
    Valkrie Scout Radar + Stealth w/ Composite Armor Cortium slotted
  9. TRspy007

again?

are you referring to the hive system? Because even then, it didn't make bases that relevant.

There was some potential, but I'm wondering if we're not just better off removing construction from the game in general.
  10. Clipped!

That much detail into a each and every construction for a small base would likely be bad for the server stability, and also a LOT of extra work for the devs, both for having to balance the constructions for both before and after modules are applied, and for the extra code and processing required to both achieve the effects and reject/alter the code for each individual construction for single player.

Yes, construction needs it's No Build Zones reduced noticeably, 40% would do nicely, but at the very least that reduction should be for the Flail's shots to allow it to be viable is more areas to hit vehicles like intended Another thing that needs to happen is the repair modules getting a faster repair rate that is able to keep an both an AV turret and modules up for far longer against a single tank to help deal with both the vehicle sniping and lone infil-****ters without the need for someone to be there to activate something. Turret AI responsiveness also need improved and it's targeting bugs fixed, especially with the AA turret as efs can often times fly over the AA turrets and they don't even turn to try and shoot them, as their auto target range needs increased somewhat both vertically and horizontally, especially or at least specifically with targets specifically flying straight toward/over a base.

For some non-essential but useful adjustments, turret damage could be upped a bit, more so with AA turrets against libs/galaxies, as AI deals more damage than AA to them, and Pain Spires could use a bit smaller no deploy range against each other.

No. Just No. People do not want to be have their shots and vehicles do/mean very little simply because their enemy had a buddy of theirs stockpile cortium in their vehicle or bought something with merit/other outfit resources. This would end up making stockpileing these boosts mandatory for vehicle combat, and unfair to those without them as well of those who don't know how to get them or don't have an outfit. I get that you're thinking of the possibilities for use of cortium/merit consumables, but did you even think about game balance and what effect this might have on it?
  11. SilentSueRia

I need say only one thing to sum it all up.
    Bastion Fleet Carrier
    That thing was justified by way of how it would require a highly organized outfit for how powerful it is.
    The coming Colossus Tank is being justified the same way AND as an anti-bastion play element.
    All the OP game unbalancing elements still make the player bases extremely vulnerable, so upgrading them to be capable of reasonably fighting back is needed. I have tested the Outfit ability to spam OSB, so I know if nothing is done to upgrade player made bases, then Bastion OP will simply fly in and flatten it. And right now the only defense a player base might get, requires the same thing a bastion does, an Outfit to deploy a Citadel Shield. That shield last only 6 minutes. Even if your outfit has 3 saved back, but resources are limited and can't make another, you only have 18 minutes of life left on your player base, before they blast you with 2 OSB.
    Player bases need an upgrade. I have not suggested anything that is beyond what gaming companies usually do. In fact, I suggested the very things they OFTEN do. So coding argument is a non-issue cause they do it ALL THE TIME.
  12. SilentSueRia

And guess what the Devs are considering for powering the coming Collosus Tank's special abilities?
    Cortium
  13. HaxMax

I agree with the zone reduction. This will also allow Flails/Glaives to be a little more useful, which would be great.
  14. HaxMax

Also, we could use another lowering of the rate that cortium is consumed by construction. If you're not just building a router or air base, it's a full time job keeping your silo from going empty, with no time to play the rest of the game between cortium runs unless you set up beside some big nodes and no one else is taking them.
  15. DreD

Construction's need to have some changes in mechanics. I was big fan of that side of Planetside, but only until destructive wall and building change. Since then I'm not building anything - there's no point in that since one Lightning can destroy all my 30 min efford in just 5 min. Devs should go back to old mechanics with Repair Module granting walls and buildings be solid until enemy destroys Repair Module. There's so many things now which can quickly destroy player made bases that sth need to be done to balance it a bit. Building anything is no fun for me from a long time :-(
  16. HaxMax

I think the cortium use per second for EVERY construction module should be between 0 and 1.